Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,840,255 times

Advertisements

I basically agree with Defoe..

His sentiment could easily be expressed as adding up all the "white Anglo-Saxon Protestant descendents of the British Isles", thus excluding the Irish Catholics, and still this number would exceed the German-American population...

Think of the South, much of the Interior Mountain West, parts of the West Coast, old Northeast ( inc New England), and a decent amount of rural America , and all/most of those people named "Smith", "Johnson", "Jones", "Washington" etc, and you have a sizeable piece of the American population..

German-American population largely found in the Midwestern states from Ohio to North/South Dakota and Nebraska; solid numbers also found in New York and Pennsylvania; some decent numbers in a part of Texas ( around San Antonio), but otherwise miniscule numbers in the South..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,559,019 times
If I was of British decent I wouldn't talk about it. England is pretty much the worst place in Europe.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 AM

51 posts, read 76,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
If I was of British decent I wouldn't talk about it. England is pretty much the worst place in Europe.
Nah, any country of your choice in eastern europe is worse.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,822,564 times
Eastern Europeans kick a$$! Esp. Russians and Poles (and their women)!!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
Nah, any country of your choice in eastern europe is worse.
Nope, I'd much rather go to Serbia, Romania or Bulgaria.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM

51 posts, read 76,735 times
Quote:
Well that's you personal preference, that's fine.

But most eastern european countrys are poorer than the UK, the UK has very little poverty and crime so I'd say eastern europe is "worse"(atleast to live in).

Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
Well that's you personal preference, that's fine.

But most eastern european countrys are poorer than the UK, the UK has very little poverty and crime so I'd say eastern europe is "worse"(atleast to live in).
Yep, that's what this is all about, personal opinion.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonium View Post
As a side note just for information, the surnames Jones and Davis are both distinctly Welsh, not English. Williams is also a popular surname which is of largely Welsh ancestry. Considering these three surnames are all in the top 10 most common surnames in the U.S., I'd say Welsh ancestry is very underestimated these days, or maybe just often mistaken for English.
I know it originated in Wales, but I'm sure you realise Jones is an extremely common name among the English too. Most people with the surname Jones here are of English not Welsh origin. Either way, Wales is still part of Britain of course.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Quote:
Unfortunately for Britons they all want to come to the UK.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,718,434 times
Gay People have long suffered under something they call "The Great Lie" (that they are few in number). It was a lie crafted by a certain religion, in order to marginalize them, and to transform the population subject to that religion into a vast baby-making machine of forced heterosexuality.

Now, Old Stock Americans are beginning to suffer under another 'Great Lie'. That lie is that the peoples of the British Isles were not the Core Group Ancestors of Americans: that somehow, their contribution to what made America great was only one of many contributions. This is a lie as carefully crafted as the one which dispossessed and marginalized Gay People.

I'm Native American, with Jewish and Sicilian admixture. I doubt I have a drop of English in me. Maybe because I am so 'other', I can see that there is something about the descendants of the English that is special. There were people living in the British Isles at least 40,000 years ago. The genes of those people (and of the Neanderthals who lived there) mixed with those of the Normans/Vikings/Anglo Saxons/Romans/Celts who later entered the country. It was a good mix, and because of the presence of the genes from the prehistoric groups I mentioned, that mix was unique.

Sicilians are unique, due to the genetic remnants of the island's two prehistoric tribes. Jews are unique, due to a genetic core which includes many advantageous alleles acquired in the tribe's early times. And I suspect that the people of the British Isles have something in their genetic makeup which makes them unique. I feel privileged to live among their descendants. They've been awfully good to me. And I enjoy living in their world of fairness and rationality. Most people on this planet are not so lucky. I would prefer that my descendants live in an English-derived America, rather than some sort of transmogrified non-English America.

America is a miracle (or was a miracle, depending on whether one believes it still exists). It is (or was) the greatest society and nation ever created. America did not need to be 'fixed', as disciples of the Frankfurt School seemed to think, and as members of various alien religions seem to think. America's Englishness, both in its culture and in the genetics of its population, should be preserved. The farther the nation moves, in its culture and in the genetics of its population, from what is English, the less American the nation will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.