U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 PM

51 posts, read 8,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
First off, anyone could mark their ethnicity as American--it's not just limited to people of English and Scottish descent(or Welsh). I know people of German/Irish descent who just consider themselves to be Americans in terms of ethnicity. Secondly, the Scotch-Irish and English were pretty different culturally when they immigrated--and a good number of the so-called Scotch-Irish, were actually Protestant refugees from other parts of Europe originally including Dutch Calvinists and French Hugenots. There's not much of a thing as a British-American. I've met people who identify with their English or Welsh or Cornish or Scottish heritage--but no one who calls themselves a British-American. And it was even more pronounced when most of these groups immigrated in the 18th and 19th Century. The Scottish hated the bloody English---there were British only under political rule and threat of force.
Offcourse not only, but by far most of them

The vast majority who put "American" live in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 PM

6,332 posts, read 6,513,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think the answer is people are embarrassed of being English. I don't blame them.
You don't need to keep repeating yourself, you made your bigotry clear.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,336,250 times
I don't think Americans purposely minimize their "British" ancestry; most just don't view it in terms of "British". I have never heard anyone say, when asked their heritage, "My family is British". Instead, they will say specifically what it is: Irish, English, Scottish or Welsh.

If you look at it that way, then German ancestry IS the most frequent. It's not a matter of denial or shame or thinking German is better though. It's possible that because British ancestry is soooo common, people prefer to get specific about their British ancestry, so that they no longer view it as one category. They may also choose to focus on other aspects of their heritage, because British ancestry is common, and that makes it rather, well, mundane. Their last name may also be a dead giveaway of their British heritage anyway.

Most Americans are not "full" anything anyhow. Most are mixed, and it's as likely that a person claiming English ancestry is also German (or whatever) and loads of other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
I wanted to see if like I suspected theres an anti British and anti Irish sentiment in the US.
You suspect wrong. There is a strong Anti-American sentiment in the UK and other European countries, but Americans don't generally return those feelings. Americans tend to be enthusiastic about other cultures & countries, with some exceptions of course (I won't pretend the Middle East is very popular).

Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 AM

6,500 posts, read 5,954,859 times
Brits were originally mostly from Germany, France, and Italy (ancient Roman conquerors). The English are largely a mix of French, Roman, aborigines, and yet again Germans (the "Eng" in English or Anglo-Saxon was a German tribe, the Angles, and the Saxons were also Germans).

So it's all about German ancestry. Pretty much everything in the US is ultimately German.

But where did the Germans come from? Ultimately from Africa. We're all African Americans.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM

868 posts, read 568,927 times
Definitely. In 1980 50 million Americans claimed to be of English ancestry, 2 decades later the number was half that. Obviously it is an issue of self-identification, and clearly far more than 9% of Americans are of English origin.

"American" identity is most concentrated in parts of the country where the white population is overwhelmingly of British descent (English, Scottish and Scots-Irish) - the South and Appalachia. This region was for the most part bypassed by 19th century immigration when German and Irish-Catholics came in large numbers (Baltimore and New Orleans being exceptions).

In 1790, about 60% of white Americans were of English descent.

"English" is also the bland, plain vanilla identity, so fewer people identify with English as compared to more "exotic" identities.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,025,656 times
It's funny about English names in America: they can mark you as very elite ("WASP") or as very non-elite (Southern and/or African-American). Either way, the names are considered pretty "vanilla", though they're not necessarily the most common names anywhere except the South, parts of New England and the Mormon Belt.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 AM

6,500 posts, read 5,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
....."English" is also the bland, plain vanilla identity, so fewer people identify with English as compared to more "exotic" identities.
Almost everyone I know claims Scottish, Irish, Welsh, or Native ancestry ..... sometimes Russian ..... rarely German ..... back East, many proud Italians ..... almost never English, now that I think of it.

Even the WASPs I've known such as my ex, wouldn't claim anything previous to their earliest American ancestors. She would go back as far as Nathan Hale, but no further despite her obvious English surname.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 AM

6,332 posts, read 6,513,611 times
Vanilla is one of the strongest, most recognizable, and most distinct spices both in flavor and aroma requiring a tiny amount to lend its qualities to any food as well as being the second most expensive spice in the world after saffron.

Why has it come to mean 'bland'?

That is like using the word 'chile pepper' to mean 'unnoticeable'.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,025,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Vanilla is one of the strongest, most recognizable, and most distinct spices both in flavor and aroma requiring a tiny amount to lend its qualities to any food as well as being the second most expensive spice in the world after saffron.

Why has it come to mean 'bland'?

That is like using the word 'chile pepper' to mean 'unnoticeable'.
Hahaha. Ice cream and yogurt are the answers to your question.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 AM

100 posts, read 18,553 times
I consider English pretty much Germans anyways so it doesn't matter lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.