U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,019,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
I consider English pretty much Germans anyways so it doesn't matter lol
Then its obvious you've never been to either place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM

8,916 posts, read 13,662,247 times
Seeing as how most Americans have a combination of heritages and a lot of Americans don't know much about their genealogy, it's safe to assume the census reports aren't exactly accurate. I'm sure that's been covered already in this 15 page topic but I don't have time to read it all.

Genetically, my strongest ancestry is Italian, then probably German. And if I hadn't done my genealogy, I wouldn't have known that there are definitely British branches in my tree. That doesn't mean I attempt to minimize my English or British ancestries - seeing as how I currently LIVE in England, that would be a bit silly.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 AM

831 posts, read 2,718,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Then its obvious you've never been to either place.
This, the english are more ancient british when it comes to physical appearance(as in pre-celtic/pre- germanic anyways)

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 PM

508 posts, read 642,518 times
This is a great thread. The OP is on to something.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:07 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,023,804 times
British (especially English) ancestry is definitely minimized and underreported in the census. Many seem to go with German, when they could just as easily identify with some British Isles ancestry.

Just saw this ancestry.com commercial.

I bet this guy's story is not unique at all. Really, it should be hardly surprising at all to uncover a lot of British Isles ancestry among white Americans whose families have been in the US over 150 years or so. The German ancestors, I guess, just seem more exotic, or something, and stick out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5n8kzpbCs

Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
At some point we are going to start saying we have American ancestry.

I'm Scottish, Swedish and Italian... Actually not entirely sure on the Scottish part, it could be British. There is a city in Australia with my last name which only solidifies it's from that part of Europe. When people ask my ancestry, I generally say European. I have a large mixture of different European ethnicities (those three being the biggest ones) and I'm not one of the pretentious douche lords who will say, "3% Dutch, 25% Italian, 15% Swedish, 50% Scottish/British, and 2% Milk". And as far as I know, I only have European in me.

I would love to get my genealogy done but it seems expensive at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,637,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
If I was of British decent I wouldn't talk about it. England is pretty much the worst place in Europe.
WTF! Why is England the worst place in Europe exactly?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
British (especially English) ancestry is definitely minimized and underreported in the census. Many seem to go with German, when they could just as easily identify with some British Isles ancestry.

Just saw this ancestry.com commercial.

I bet this guy's story is not unique at all. Really, it should be hardly surprising at all to uncover a lot of British Isles ancestry among white Americans whose families have been in the US over 150 years or so. The German ancestors, I guess, just seem more exotic, or something, and stick out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5n8kzpbCs
That guys last name, Merker, is German. I bet he didn't look hard enough or far back enough.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM

13,356 posts, read 7,023,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
That guys last name, Merker, is German. I bet he didn't look hard enough or far back enough.
Not saying he has no German in him; it's just less than he thought. Surname can indicate German, while much of the rest of the family is something else.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:59 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Not saying he has no German in him; it's just less than he thought. Surname can indicate German, while much of the rest of the family is something else.
That's all Americans though. I doubt many white Americans are majority any ethnicity. It's common and easy for people to just state the ancestry of their last name, though that is usually just a small piece of their story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or