U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 09:10 AM

85 posts, read 45,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with you that Britain is too often portrayed in a negative light by the media. Much of the old British empire occupies the happiest most prosperous parts of the world today. The UK, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are some of the most popular places in the world to immigrate too and to visit. They are also places where the standard of living is second to none. Obviously the British made the world better. Our Hollywood movies have misrepresented yall, and we owe our UK friends an apology for that. One movie that comes to mind is The Patriot. I love the movie, it makes any American feel patriotic but its portrayal of the British committing all those atrocities is just inaccurate. In fact some of the things the British do in that movie, like burning a church full of people is something the Nazis did. Brits have good reason to not like that movie.

Also I have been over to the UK once, nicest people and I would love to visit again. Its just so expensive to travel to the other side of the Atlantic, but one day I hope to see it again.
Let me provide a global perspective rather than an Euro American one which is abundant here. All those boasts and bragging you stated here, how USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, are nice to live in and most popular places to immigrate to blah blah yada yada, link back to why people (not just white Americans but many people worldwide who are sufficiently educated; I'm not white) connect the English to barbarism and thievery and plunder. Those places were stolen from natives by English barbaric thieves and invaders, and in all cases the natives were either murdered or marginalized. The British also stolen from the people of Hong Kong and India, the two most noted examples outside of the anglosphere, they got rich and made a lot of money from the Hong Kong financial system that is the efforts of the southern Chinese people. They plundered Africa for centuries, enriched themselves over centuries from these loot worldwide and left the African continent in ruins. It was only due to the thieving imperialism that these European countries enriched themselves, and later could call themselves "first world". Today many of them are hardly surviving in competition.

Up till today, there are Chinese ancient treasures, the world's first encyclopedia, in the London museum.

Brits, tell your thieving monarchy and government to return those treasures to China.

Last edited by Islander7; 07-02-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 AM

The only Europeans that I don't feel complete scorn for are the Italians, Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans. That is why the world now laughs at what's going on in that continent. In Asia, crumbling EU is described as nothing but a weak attempt by a bunch of ex imperialists who found themselves shrunken to midget sized trying to band together. It has all been very pathetic to view.

Last edited by Islander7; 07-02-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 09:31 AM

13,358 posts, read 7,027,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
The only Europeans that I don't feel complete scorn for are the Scandinavians, Eastern Europeans and Southern Europeans. That is why the world now laughs at what's going on in that continent. In Asia, crumbling EU is described as nothing but a weak attempt by a bunch of ex imperialists who found themselves shrunken to midget sized trying to band together. It has all been very pathetic to view.
I certainly don't laugh at it, myself, but I appreciate that you recognize that many European peoples had nothing to do with the actions of those like the British, etc. Especially us Eastern Europeans. My people's story bears no resemblance to that of the British.

The problem is the EU now includes Finland, the Baltics, Poland, Greece, etc., so it's unfair to link the Western European colonial legacy with the rest of the continent.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I certainly don't laugh at it, myself, but I appreciate that you recognize that many European peoples had nothing to do with the actions of those like the British, etc. Especially us Eastern Europeans. My people's story bears no resemblance to that of the British.

The problem is the EU now includes Finland, the Baltics, Poland, Greece, etc., so it's unfair to link the Western European colonial legacy with the rest of the continent.
I am well aware of who did what and the facts.

I edited my post, I forgot about Spain, because in my mind Southern European is so defined by the Italians (I lived in Italy for a year). The only Europeans I don't feel scorn for are Italians, Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans they are innocent of all that is now synonymous with the imperialistic thievery, with the English being hands down the absolute worst among the guilty parties.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
I've gotten the impression that most Americans want to "minimize" the number of British-Americans, in that they would rather want people to believe they're not that many as they actually are. Are Americans ashamed of their largely(yes largely) British-American ancestry?

Lets look at the demographics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ce...Ancestries.jpg

Yes Germans are at the top at 15,2%...

But if one adds up the English(8,7%), American(who are largely in the south and mostly of scotch-irish and english ancestors who have been in the country for so long that they simply identify as "American" at 7,2%), Irish(10,8%), Scottish(1,7%), Scotch-Irish(1,5%)... And Welsh(who weren't on that list) are at 0,6%.

All this adds up to 30,5%.

So British-Americans are really by far the largest "group", those stats were from 2000 so it might have declined a bit since, and I suppose some of the ones who identify as "American" might be French or whatever but most of those are by far Scotch-Irish/English. ("American" shouldn't be confused with "Native American", who only make up 1,37% of the US population)

And even if the number of British-Americans have declined by a few percent, they still BY FAR outnumber German-Americans(who are said to be the biggest group). Infact British-Americans pretty much double German-Americans.

Obviously, I'm not saying the majority of all Americans are of British ancestry... But they are the biggest group.
I wonder if the Trump supporters in the US correlate to the Brexit voters in the UK by ancestry.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Russia was every bit as bad as the British. Maybe more so. Historically Slavic Russians lived west of the Ural Mountains. They began expanding in the 1700s and today they live as far as the Chinese border.

But many cultures have done this. The moguls were as bad as any European colonizer. The arab conquests in the 800-1400s was the same stuff. Europeans are not the only colonizers the world has ever known, so that poster is pretty ignorant of history to talk that British were the only ones who did it.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Russia was every bit as bad as the British. Maybe more so. Historically Slavic Russians lived west of the Ural Mountains. They began expanding in the 1700s and today they live as far as the Chinese border.

But many cultures have done this. The moguls were as bad as any European colonizer. The arab conquests in the 800-1400s was the same stuff. Europeans are not the only colonizers the world has ever known, so that poster is pretty ignorant of history to talk that British were the only ones who did it.
At first I thought you were calling me a Russian (), then I realized not.. "Eastern European" was an overgeneralization on my part (more accurate, perhaps, would be to say that the majority of Eastern European ethnicities have histories that bear no resemblance to Western European style colonialism, with ONE notable exception being the Russians, but many even question whether they can truly be called Europeans). The Russians have done horrible things, and to my people, Ukrainians, as well. You will certainly not get an argument from me on that point.

And you're right about non-European cultures being colonizers as well. The Mongols conquered our lands. The Turks were even worse - they enslaved millions of my people.

Last edited by snj90; 07-03-2016 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:22 AM

325 posts, read 250,725 times
I've never heard of anyone trying to minimize or deny their British ancestry. With each passing generation, I think Americans care less and less about ancestry (at least down here in Dixie, I know things can be different in some places). My kids have Swedish, Irish, German, Dutch, Scottish, Spanish, Cajun French, and probably Native American (swept under the rug). And now I have a granddaughter, and who knows how many additional European nations can be added to the mix. It gets so diluted out, and it's not like many Euro American kids are growing up with customs from their ancestral countries, unless they live in places with ethnic neighborhoods that still have a lot of recent immigrants.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I've never heard of anyone trying to minimize or deny their British ancestry. With each passing generation, I think Americans care less and less about ancestry (at least down here in Dixie, I know things can be different in some places). My kids have Swedish, Irish, German, Dutch, Scottish, Spanish, Cajun French, and probably Native American (swept under the rug). And now I have a granddaughter, and who knows how many additional European nations can be added to the mix. It gets so diluted out, and it's not like many Euro American kids are growing up with customs from their ancestral countries, unless they live in places with ethnic neighborhoods that still have a lot of recent immigrants.
In Dixie, the specifically Anglo-Saxon identity of the majority of inhabitants has significantly subsided in the past half-century or so. So it's not necessarily always British ancestry that people are trying to hide - it is specifically English or Anglo-Saxon ancestry. It's now more fashionable to claim something else, or to emphasize something else in lieu of Anglo-Saxonness. Really, I think this is most applicable to the South and is less so to certain other regions where English ancestry isn't as predominant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or