U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Reputation: 5662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
I'm aware that people in Ireland are not British.

Ireland is still however geographically a part of the british islands.

It still doesn't change my argument, since I'm speaking of all those ethnicitys. Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English. It seems most Americans want to downplay the numbers of these groups.
Canada is geographically part of North America, and speak same language, although also another language...They were both once part of Britain. Florida was once part of Spain, so was California. The Louisiana territory was once part of France. The logic you are using doesn't work to make a point. Two very separate cultures...You could POSSIBLY make a bit of a stronger argument for N Ireland and Scotland being British, but generally it means England and Wales... Australia, Canada and New Zealand make better "british" candidates than Ireland or the others you are posturing...
I am going to take a wild guess and say you have never been to the UK or Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
 
51 posts, read 58,779 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Just stop...holy crap... I guess I can't expect much from a 6 post... well, I'm sure other people can figure it out.
British Isles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What and where is The British Isles - Great Britain

I can bring up countless other sources that state the same thing. Pretty embarrasing for you now? Don't worry, thats ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
 
51 posts, read 58,779 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Canada is geographically part of North America, and speak same language, although also another language...They were both once part of Britain. Florida was once part of Spain, so was California. The Louisiana territory was once part of France. The logic you are using doesn't work to make a point. Two very separate cultures...You could POSSIBLY make a bit of a stronger argument for N Ireland and Scotland being British, but generally it means England and Wales... Australia, Canada and New Zealand make better "british" candidates than Ireland or the others you are posturing...
I have never said the Irish are British as in that they belong to the United Kingdom for crying out loud.

What I have said is that Ireland is a part of the geographical group of islands called the British isles.

I'm fully aware they are not the same country. The British isles is a geographical area like Scandinavia or the Balcans is a geographical area.

THAT is why I grouped them togheter.

I know the Irish dislike the English, even the Scottish dislike the English. The Welsh dislike the English. They all dislike eachother more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
British Isles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What and where is The British Isles - Great Britain

I can bring up countless other sources that state the same thing. Pretty embarrasing for you now? Don't worry, thats ok.
Actually it is quite embarrassing for you, it does not matter that you don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 AM
 
51 posts, read 58,779 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Actually it is quite embarrassing for you, it does not matter that you don't understand it.
You think I'm talking about Great Britain, the country.

I'm talking about the geographical area called the British isles. Which you have failed to comprehend. Thats why I grouped them together.

And yes Ireland is a part of the British isles, but not Great Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
I have never said the Irish are British as in that they belong to the United Kingdom for crying out loud.

What I have said is that Ireland is a part of the geographical group of islands called the British isles.

I'm fully aware they are not the same country. The British isles is a geographical area like Scandinavia or the Balcans is a geographical area.

THAT is why I grouped them togheter.

I know the Irish dislike the English, even the Scottish dislike the English. The Welsh dislike the English. They all dislike eachother more or less.
Sure geographically it is called that, but your logic isn't working. It is this thing called relevance. For the points you are trying to make, the fact they sit on the British Isles has no relevance. Just like the fact that Cuba sits next to Jamaica in the Caribbean has no relevance in terms of grouping and would make a extremely weak point if you were to group them also. This could be expanded as far as "everybody on this planet is a human" ... again, no relevance for what you are trying to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
 
51 posts, read 58,779 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You could POSSIBLY make a bit of a stronger argument for N Ireland and Scotland being British, but generally it means England and Wales
British as a nationality means Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh and English. Since they together make up the United Kingdom.

Irish are Irish but Ireland is a part of the British isles, thats why I grouped them with the rest.


Quote:
I am going to take a wild guess and say you have never been to the UK or Ireland.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
British as a nationality means Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh and English. Since they together make up the United Kingdom.

Irish are Irish but Ireland is a part of the British isles, thats why I grouped them with the rest.




You couldn't be more wrong.
Then let us revisit the point you are trying to make. You are trying to make an argument based on ethnicity...from there, you try to group different ethnicities by a loose geography of 2 islands, so you can go head to head with a larger group of ethnic origin... Quite the novel gesture in the first place. From there, you want to propose that people are minimalizing said imaginary British Ancestry... A great leap, from the end of an already crippled platform to stand on.

"But if one adds up the English(8,7%), American(who are largely in the south and mostly of scotch-irish and english ancestors who have been in the country for so long that they simply identify as "American" at 7,2%), Irish(10,8%), Scottish(1,7%), Scotch-Irish(1,5%)... And Welsh(who weren't on that list) are at 0,6%.

All this adds up to 30,5%.

So British-Americans are really by far the largest "group", those stats were from 2000 so it might have declined a bit since, and I suppose some of the ones who identify as "American" might be French or whatever but most of those are by far Scotch-Irish/English. ("American" shouldn't be confused with "Native American", who only make up 1,37% of the US population)"

Your logic does not work for the point you are trying to make!!!!! Most people in this thread see this, but you are being so close minded and trying to redevelop your point (as you were originally wrong) you can't see this. I won't respond to you anymore in this thread, goodbye

The answer to your question is No... No no no... What you are suggesting is not occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
 
56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Reputation: 12530
I wouldn't add the Irish to the English numbers. They are a distinct group in terms of language and religion. Plus, the British occupied Ireland for about 500 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
 
51 posts, read 58,779 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't add the Irish to the English numbers. They are a distinct group in terms of language and religion. Plus, the British occupied Ireland for about 500 years.
Even if I don't take into account the Irish numbers.

British Americans as in only Scottish, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, American(who are mostly Scotch Irish and English), and English numbers would still outnumber German-Americans.

Or what can I only use the English numbers?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the Irish numbers since thats a different country than the UK. But The UK is one country, why should I separate the ethnic groups from there aswell?

Then we might aswell split up the German-American group into different local groups aswell like Bavarians and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top