U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,391,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't add the Irish to the English numbers. They are a distinct group in terms of language and religion. Plus, the British occupied Ireland for about 500 years.
Exactly! The same can be said for Scotland to a degree.

And for some reason the OP wonders why a group that has colonized and oppressed all different kinds of people and cultures around the World and is the country that America revolted against would want to "minimize" their heritage.

Great Britain has had their hand in cultures and countries all over the world with the same select few Anglo-Saxon Protestant Brits being the oppresors. Maybe THAT is why people in America, which has a HUGE Irish-American population, do not wish to identify themselves as British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,463,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
You think I'm talking about Great Britain, the country.

I'm talking about the geographical area called the British isles. Which you have failed to comprehend. Thats why I grouped them together.

And yes Ireland is a part of the British isles, but not Great Britain.
And Israel's part of the Middle East. So f***ing what?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM

51 posts, read 58,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly! The same can be said for Scotland to a degree.

And for some reason the OP wonders why a group that has colonized and oppressed all different kinds of people and cultures around the World and is the country that America revolted against would want to "minimalize" their heritage.

Great Britain has had their hand in cultures and countries all over the world with the same select few Anglo Saxon Protestant Brits being the oppresors. Maybe THAT is why people in America, which has a HUGE Irish American population do not wish to identify themselves as British.
Hold on now.

I can see why people didn't like me grouping the Irish with the British.

But Scotland still belongs to the UK. It's all one country together with England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Scottish-Americans, Welsh-Americans, Scotch-Irish Americans and English Americans all originate from the same country. They atleast can be grouped together.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,391,718 times
Quote:
Hold on now.

But Scotland still belongs to the UK. It's all one country together with England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Scottish-Americans, Welsh-Americans, Scotch-Irish Americans and English Americans all originate from the same country. They atleast can be grouped together.
Scottish, Irish, English and Welsh heritage are ALL older cultures than "British" heritage. There are still Scottish Independence movements and a Scottish Liberation Army that wish for Scotland to be a free and independent country. The "Troubles" in Northern Ireland is somewhat ongoing although it is no where near as violent as the 1970's-1980's.

Clearly you do not understand the dynamics.
26+6=1

Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,124,167 times
Quote:
Hold on now.

I have met quite a few Scottish expats here, they would disagree with you, vehemently.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 AM

56,643 posts, read 80,952,685 times
So, lets look at Germanic groups then? I think the point you are missing is that ancestry is based off of country of origin. So, Scottish, Welsh and Scotch-Irish(pretty much Scots that went to Northern Ireland, if I'm not mistaken) are viewed separately.

If you want to know what I mean by Germanic, look here: Germanic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have met quite a few Scottish expats here, they would disagree with you, vehemently.
Doesn't really matter if they disagree with me or not since it's a fact that the UK is one country.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, lets look at Germanic groups then? I think the point you are missing is that ancestry is based off of country of origin. So, Scottish, Welsh and Scotch-Irish(pretty much Scots that went to Northern Ireland, if I'm not mistaken) are viewed separately.

If you want to know what I mean by Germanic, look here: Germanic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Country of origin? That IS the UK.

Scotland has been apart of Britain since 1707.

Wales has been apart of Britain since 1282.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,573,808 times
Quote:
Even if I don't take into account the Irish numbers.

British Americans as in only Scottish, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, American(who are mostly Scotch Irish and English), and English numbers would still outnumber German-Americans.

Or what can I only use the English numbers?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the Irish numbers since thats a different country than the UK. But The UK is one country, why should I separate the ethnic groups from there aswell?

Then we might aswell split up the German-American group into different local groups aswell like Bavarians and so on.
This would be the proper thing to do, if anything. At least you do have more of a leg to stand on... Even so, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are STILL separate countries with their own cultures and capitals, even if they all fall under the parliamentary system of the UK. They are all separate countries within a larger country (which happens to be UK (a sovereign state)).

Quote:
Country of origin? That IS the UK.

Scotland has been apart of Britain since 1707.

Wales has been apart of Britain since 1282.
See post above. They are separate countries themselves...

Quote:
Doesn't really matter if they disagree with me or not since it's a fact that the UK is one country.
No, it is a country, with 4 countries inside it. All of these countries government and administration predate the UK itself.

As I said, even with this setup, it still isn't the strongest argument.

There is a reason that 90% of the people in this thread are arguing against you, we aren't doing it for fun, trust me. We are just trying to inform you of your err. You probably should have done a bit more research before you joined the site and made the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
And Israel's part of the Middle East. So f***ing what?
Thank you... I tried to make the point with Cuba/Jamaica... this one works also. Not sure if OP will understand it though.

Last edited by grapico; 12-21-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM

350 posts, read 608,171 times
I understand what you mean. I think there are several main reasons:

British American are present in this country for 400 years now and they are mixed with other ethnic groups (Dutch, German, Irish, Italian, Scandinavian, French,...). Therefore, it's difficult for them to say what are their ancestries.

Also some African American and Native American have British ancestries but they don't know and don't care about that.

Generally, Americans prefer to say they're of Irish and German ancestry rather than English, Welsh or Scottish ancestry. They find that being German, Italian or Polish is more interesting than British.
British American seem too common and ordinary.

Scottish/Scots-Irish are mostly the most underestimated ethnic because most people think they are Irish rather than Scottish, particularly in the South.

In 1980 US Census, there were 50 million English American and 61 million British American. The actual number should be even greater.

Even demographers say the real number of English American is estimated between 60-80 million and Scottish/Scots-Irish American are between 30-40 million. If you add the two that makes about 100 million (counting also Welsh American). This is by far much more than German American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or