U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe it is a Southern thing because for me personally I've never meet a White American who didn't knew their European roots .
It isn't a southern thing, just posters that don't can't trace their ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM

33,875 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Go to Scotland or Ireland and tell someone that they're really English and wait to see what happens.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well, I will say that its very rare to find that in the Northeast.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM

51 posts, read 58,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Go to Scotland or Ireland and tell someone that they're really English and wait to see what happens.
Where did I refer to Scottish and Irish people as English???

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
Replace with British, and you will get the same result.

Let me put it this way to you... If this were the 1990s...would you be making the argument that Hong Kong was British? After all, Hong Kong was also sovereign under the UK, until it became sovereign under China in 1997.
So should all people who went from Hong Kong to the U.S. also be counted as British-Americans?
Hopefully you will realize how quickly this argument falls apart when you are trying to group ancestries. In many ways, it is exactly what you are posturing in this thread.
Let us go back further in case these examples do not make it clear for you.

Belize was a British Colony as well, it used to be British Honduras, and their official national language is English! Not even dual like Ireland or Wales. Should people from Belize be considered British-Americans?

Last edited by grapico; 12-21-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM

33,875 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Quote:

So British-Americans are really by far the largest "group", those stats were from 2000 so it might have declined a bit since, and I suppose some of the ones who identify as "American" might be French or whatever but most of those are by far Scotch-Irish/English. ("American" shouldn't be confused with "Native American", who only make up 1,37% of the US population)

And even if the number of British-Americans have declined by a few percent, they still BY FAR outnumber German-Americans(who are said to be the biggest group). Infact British-Americans pretty much double German-Americans.
Here, both obviously and by implication.

Quote:
You complain (I guess) about many not recognizing their English/British ancestry. Why does it matter to you? I for one don't give a **** where my ancestors (one of whom was a signer of the Declaration of Independence) came from. That's one half in the early 1700's, the other half came from Germany (or rather what is now Germany, actually Bavaria) in the 1840's. Those facts neither inform me, guide any actions I may take nor how I think of myself or others. My ancestry means next to zero. And for those who think it's important my question is "Why?".

I now live in an area where one of the leading families claims descent from that famous Scottish King MacBeth. He who Shakespeare wrote about.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,383,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe it is a Southern thing because for me personally I've never meet a White American who didn't knew their European roots .
Well, unlike the Norteast, the majority of whites in the South descend from the original settlers, so it's too far back in time.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
If this were the 1990s...would you be making the argument that Hong Kong was British?
So you're trying to tell me it wasn't British? I guess next you're gonna tell me Scotland isn't British either?

Quote:
So should all people who went from Hong Kong to the U.S. also be counted as British-Americans?
No, because they are far more different than what a Scotsman is compared to an Englisman or Welshman.

Scotland, England and Wales have traditionally been the UK for hundreds of years. They speak the same language. And modern day Scotland is hardly THAT different from modern day England. Minor differences sure but it's not like comparing England with China.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here, both obviously and by implication.
I implied that those who identify as "American" on the census are mainly Scotch-Irish AND/OR English, which is true.

Not that Scottish and Irish people are the same as English.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It's mostly a southern thing.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

(you need to scroll down a bit to the
ancestry map)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or