U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 AM

51 posts, read 58,651 times

Advertisements

I've gotten the impression that most Americans want to "minimize" the number of British-Americans, in that they would rather want people to believe they're not that many as they actually are. Are Americans ashamed of their largely(yes largely) British-American ancestry?

Lets look at the demographics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ce...Ancestries.jpg

Yes Germans are at the top at 15,2%...

But if one adds up the English(8,7%), American(who are largely in the south and mostly of scotch-irish and english ancestors who have been in the country for so long that they simply identify as "American" at 7,2%), Irish(10,8%), Scottish(1,7%), Scotch-Irish(1,5%)... And Welsh(who weren't on that list) are at 0,6%.

All this adds up to 30,5%.

So British-Americans are really by far the largest "group", those stats were from 2000 so it might have declined a bit since, and I suppose some of the ones who identify as "American" might be French or whatever but most of those are by far Scotch-Irish/English. ("American" shouldn't be confused with "Native American", who only make up 1,37% of the US population)

And even if the number of British-Americans have declined by a few percent, they still BY FAR outnumber German-Americans(who are said to be the biggest group). Infact British-Americans pretty much double German-Americans.

Obviously, I'm not saying the majority of all Americans are of British ancestry... But they are the biggest group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe View Post
I've gotten the impression that most Americans want to "minimize" the number of British-Americans, in that they would rather want people to believe they're not that many as they actually are. Are Americans ashamed of their largely(yes largely) British-American ancestry?

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if one adds up the English(8,7%), American(who are largely in the south and mostly of scotch-irish and english ancestors who have been in the country for so long that they simply identify as "American" at 7,2%), Irish(10,8%), Scottish(1,7%), Scotch-Irish(1,5%)... And Welsh(who weren't on that list) are at 0,6%.

So British-Americans are really by far the largest "group", those stats were from 2000 so it might have declined a bit since, and I suppose some of the ones who identify as "American" might be French or whatever but most of those are by far Scotch-Irish/English. ("American" shouldn't be confused with "Native American", who only make up 1,37% of the US population)

And even if the number of British-Americans have declined by a few percent, they still BY FAR outnumber German-Americans(who are said to be the biggest group). Infact British-Americans pretty much double German-Americans.

Obviously, I'm not saying the majority of all Americans are of British ancestry... But they are the biggest group.

This is one of the most bizarre perceptions I've ever heard of. Why in the world would people even THINK about "minimizing" British ancestry? It is what it is.

My ancestors are mostly Dutch, but the ones who gave me my common English last name came here from Manchester in 1863.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
My ancestors have no english blood. Nothing to minimize.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My ancestors have no english blood. Nothing to minimize.
I fail to see your point lol.

I did not say all Americans are of British ancestry

I did not even say the majority of all Americans are of British ancestry.

My point is that British-Americans are the biggest group, yet I've seen several Americans say that German-Americans are the bigger group, that Americans are not largely of British ancestry.

Since nearly 1 out of 3 Americans are of mostly British ancestry, I sure would say that Americans are "largely" of British ancestry.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,108,347 times
Quote:

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at those statistics, they add up to more than 100%, which is to say that these categories aren't exclusive to each other.

I've traced my geneology, and I could indentify as Canadian, English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, French, Cree, and Metis but that doesn't mean I count as nine people.

If anything, I feel British ancestry is overplayed, with many WASPs having other European ancestry. German ancestry generally seems underestimated outside of Pennsylvania.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,134,238 times
I don't have English ancestry but am a tad Scott-Irish. That being said, I certainly don't brag about it, and probably never would. Similarly, I'm slightly more German than Polish but since my family actually celebrates Polish heritage sometimes (nothing like that on the German side) and I'm not particularly proud of my German heritage I tend to "minimize" that part of my "ethnicity".

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
If you look at those statistics, they add up to more than 100%, which is to say that these categories aren't exclusive to each other.

I've traced my geneology, and I could indentify as Canadian, English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, French, Cree, and Metis but that doesn't mean I count as nine people.

If anything, I feel British ancestry is overplayed, with many WASPs having other European ancestry. German ancestry generally seems underestimated outside of Pennsylvania.
I'm aware of that.

I guess it would be more accurate to say that theres more Americans that have some British in them than there are Americans that have some German(for example) in them.

Offcourse alot(probably most) Americans are a mix of all kinds of ancestrys.

No matter how you put it though theres more people of British ancestry than of German ancestry.

I'd like to see one argument that can prove otherwise.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,777,659 times

Huuundai by Jeremy Clarkson - YouTube

Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,108,347 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that.

I guess it would be more accurate to say that theres more Americans that have some British in them than there are Americans that have some German(for example) in them.
Not necessarily. How many options were people allowed to pick when they answered that survey?

If it's multiple choice, one could have a group of five people that had:

60% Chinese Ancestry
40% English
40% Scottish
40% Irish
40% Welsh
( etc... )

And there could still be more people of Asian than European descent. How? There were three Chinese people, and two people who were a mix of English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, and more!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Not necessarily. How many options were people allowed to pick when they answered that survey?

If it's multiple choice, one could have a group of five people that had:

60% Chinese Ancestry
40% English
40% Scottish
40% Irish
40% Welsh
( etc... )

And there could still be more people of Asian than European descent. How? There were three Chinese people, and two people who were a mix of English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, and more!
I think you know though that your example is not the case for most of America

Do you honestly believe German Americans for example outnumber British-Americans? I mean I don't really see how you can make an argument for that.... When clearly there is more people who identify themselves as having British ancestry.

You can make all types of examples if you want.

I just go by the facts.

30,5% identify as having British ancestry

15,2% identify as having German ancestry

Sure you could also say that the ones who identify as having British ancestry might only have partially British ancestry... But that'd be true for the ones who identify as having german ancestry aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or