U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,295 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Colorado, which is sort of midwestern, but not in the same way that places like Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota are truly midwestern. Yet I've found that the midwest always feels "homey." And I think that many Americans, even those who don't grow up in the midwest, feel that the midwest just feels like home.

Why? What are the qualities of the midwest that leave even non-midwesterners feeling at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 04:19 PM

45 posts, read 69,492 times
i grew up in wisconsin and i think its the people , people in places like california are rude buut people in Wisconsin will hold the door for you and be really nice its also the feel like big citys with all the hustle in busle like la and newyork there always on the go and dont stop

Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,739,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
i grew up in wisconsin and i think its the people , people in places like california are rude buut people in Wisconsin will hold the door for you and be really nice its also the feel like big citys with all the hustle in busle like la and newyork there always on the go and dont stop

Yes, all 35+ million of us are rude

You probably don't have the slightest clue as to how enormous CA is and that the whole state is not made up of L.A. and San Francisco. You shouldn't post your input here if you don't actually know what you're talking about.

In response to the OP, this is completely subjective. Personally, I have zero desire to live in the midwest. I've lived in CA my entire life and I feel very at home here and am always happy to come back when I've been out of the state. I find the previous poster's response to be quite ignorant since there are plenty of places in CA with slower paces of life where people are very friendly and down to earth.

Some people feel at home in the midwest, just like some people feel at home on the east coast, just like people feel at home in the desert southwest...it's all personal preference.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM

45 posts, read 69,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Yes, all 35+ million of us are rude

You probably don't have the slightest clue as to how enormous CA is and that the whole state is not made up of L.A. and San Francisco. You shouldn't post your input here if you don't actually know what you're talking about.

In response to the OP, this is completely subjective. Personally, I have zero desire to live in the midwest. I've lived in CA my entire life and I feel very at home here and am always happy to come back when I've been out of the state. I find the previous poster's response to be quite ignorant since there are plenty of places in CA with slower paces of life where people are very friendly and down to earth.

Some people feel at home in the midwest, just like some people feel at home on the east coast, just like people feel at home in the desert southwest...it's all personal preference.
OK so i am being ignornat it seems like you all are rude i only have been in la and they were extremely rude

Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
I would like to throw in here that New York City and New York State are two extremely different entities.

There are tons of kind hearted people in NY state.

I digress, the Midwest is inviting. And I always enjoy it when I'm visiting. But it never actually felt like home to me. I gotta have my Appalachians to feel at home.

I'm glad others feel at home there though.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times
Your daddy is from the Midwest......that's why. JK. IDK, but the Midwest's key characteristic is its "family values", so maybe it's more "homely" because of that.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:55 AM

2,165 posts, read 4,739,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
OK so i am being ignornat it seems like you all are rude i only have been in la and they were extremely rude
I find your ignorant (correct spelling, by the way) statements to be extremely rude. Funny thing about L.A. is that a huge portion of its population is made up of transplants from other places, not native Californians.

As I stated in my previous post, CA is not made up of just L.A. and S.F. Maybe you should try to educate yourself about something before you make comments like that.

I'll help you start:

The state is nearly 165,000 sq. miles (bigger than many countries)

There are over 37 million people (more people than the entire population of Canada)

It's almost impossible to get 10 people in one room that are exactly the same, so how do you figure that over 37,000,000 are all the same? Is everybody exactly the same where you live? If I went to your city and had negative interactions with the people I met, should I assume that everybody there is the same way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or