U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,030,215 times

Advertisements

Nov 2011 are painting a similar picture:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Great Lakes and Rust Belt bolded

Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Area 5.1
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 5.4
Oklahoma City, OK 5.5
Salt Lake City, UT 5.6
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH 5.7
Honolulu, HI Metropolitan 5.7
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6.5
Columbus, OH 6.6
Pittsburgh, PA 6.6
Richmond, VA 6.6
Baltimore-Towson, MD 6.7
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 6.7
Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH 6.9
Rochester, NY 6.9

Poor California seems to be really hurting, and many Sun Belt cities are still lagging behind the national average of 8.2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,121,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Where it seems California is getting hit the hardest. What the the reasons for this??

Its all the immigrants.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,139,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Its all the immigrants.
If they are illegal immigrants, they absolutely don't register on the unemployment radar.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Nov 2011 are painting a similar picture:

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Great Lakes and Rust Belt bolded

Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Area 5.1
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 5.4
Oklahoma City, OK 5.5
Salt Lake City, UT 5.6
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH 5.7
Honolulu, HI Metropolitan 5.7
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6.5
Columbus, OH 6.6
Pittsburgh, PA 6.6
Richmond, VA 6.6
Baltimore-Towson, MD 6.7
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 6.7
Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH 6.9
Rochester, NY 6.9

Poor California seems to be really hurting, and many Sun Belt cities are still lagging behind the national average of 8.2%.
You guys keep throwing these numbers around in comparison to the sunbelt as if they really mean something. There is no competition or stimulation going on in the rustbelt economy. With no growth occuring; it's easer for its economy and job market to balance itself out. When your region starts pulling in thousands of people a month; we'll start up a pissing contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
If they are illegal immigrants, they absolutely don't register on the unemployment radar.
But they still take jobs.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM

13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You guys keep throwing these numbers around in comparison to the sunbelt as if they really mean something. There is no competition or stimulation going on in the rustbelt economy. With no growth occuring; it's easer for its economy and job market to balance itself out. When your region starts pulling in thousands of people a month; we'll start up a pissing contest.

But they still take jobs.
Out of the highlighted cities above, 3 ARE growing, actually. Also, not all of the Sun Belt has high rates. Texas has high growth and relatively lower unemployment, so there has to be more going on than just population.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,028 times
The economic growth of the Sunbelt was mostly a cake with nothing on the inside that collapsed on itself with the smallest poke.

There was no substance. It was based on a cheap credit boom that led people to buy big houses in the house, with a pool to boot, and getting into deep debt buying a bunch of stuff for their house. The jobs created were construction jobs, house repair/improvement/maintenance jobs, and retail and service that came along with the new homeowners. The economy didnt have strong foundations and like I said was basically a credit splurge. A lot of it was old people retiring to warm climates.

Texas is generally an exception.

Anyway, As soon as people realized it was an illusion it became there was no real economic value in these places.

The growth of people into many of the previous sunbelt boom areas as become a trickle, halted, and even started reversing. Meanwhile, states that were losing people are stabilizing and even experiencing growth.

We havent seen the death of the sunbelt, but the boom is over, unless it actually creates real economic growth based off something strong.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,556,257 times
NeW Orleans keeps laughing at this thread.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times
I can't speak for other sunbelt metros, but here in Tampa I seriously have at least 4 friends (coming from The North) that literally threw everything they owned into their cars, quit their jobs, and just moved down here. They were from the ages of 18-23 when they moved, and none of them had any higher education. One of them told me he only had 1000 bucks to his name, and the others probably had less than that. You meet young people here all the time who just.....do that. Move here with no money, no job, no apartment, and no plan. But, its because it is a safe, clean, affordable, low taxes, and most importantly, WARM place to live.

All of my friends have succeeded here just fine and are surviving, but we have so many people in Tampa that do just what my friends did that it results in us having a very high unemployment rate. It is hard to create jobs for all the masses of people moving here. On the other end, the North only has those low unemployment rates because their youth flee from those climates by the thousands. It must be easy to find jobs for people when so many young people (the group with the highest unemployment) leave.

I don't care how good the economy up north is (which its not. All of their industries are flocking to the South). I would never live within 500 miles of the great lakes.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I can't speak for other sunbelt metros, but here in Tampa I seriously have at least 4 friends (coming from The North) that literally threw everything they owned into their cars, quit their jobs, and just moved down here. They were from the ages of 18-23 when they moved, and none of them had any higher education. One of them told me he only had 1000 bucks to his name, and the others probably had less than that. You meet young people here all the time who just.....do that. Move here with no money, no job, no apartment, and no plan. But, its because it is a safe, clean, affordable, low taxes, and most importantly, WARM place to live.

All of my friends have succeeded here just fine and are surviving, but we have so many people in Tampa that do just what my friends did that it results in us having a very high unemployment rate. It is hard to create jobs for all the masses of people moving here. On the other end, the North only has those low unemployment rates because their youth flee from those climates by the thousands. It must be easy to find jobs for people when so many young people (the group with the highest unemployment) leave.

I don't care how good the economy up north is (which its not. All of their industries are flocking to the South). I would never live within 500 miles of the great lakes.
Actually no industries were going south, that was the problem. People were moving there, but there was never any good jobs to support them, just debt fueled credit leading to more debt, and lots of minimum wage jobs with no benefits.

The south can enjoy its continued growth in uneducated and unskilled northerners moving there to work minimum wage service jobs. I am sure their continued growth is a recipe for success.

If only the north could create a minimum wage and no benefit economy like the south.

The north will just have to make do with educated and skilled people, and actual industry. We'll be sure to send you our worst. We will somehow have to manage without them.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually no industries were going south, that was the problem. People were moving there, but there was never any good jobs to support them, just debt fueled credit leading to more debt, and lots of minimum wage jobs with no benefits.

The south can enjoy its continued growth in uneducated and unskilled northerners moving there to work minimum wage service jobs. I am sure their continued growth is a recipe for success.

If only the north could create a minimum wage and no benefit economy like the south.

The north will just have to make do with educated and skilled people, and actual industry. We'll be sure to send you our worst. We will somehow have to manage without them.
We don't get just your worst. We also get your best. I know countless people at the top of the economic ladder who flock here right along with those at the bottom of the ladder. The South gets it all, and it will only pick up momentum as the unemployment rate continues to fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or