Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
We don't get just your worst. We also get your best. I know countless people at the top of the economic ladder who flock here right along with those at the bottom of the ladder. The South gets it all, and it will only pick up momentum as the unemployment rate continues to fall.
It is falling in the north. The sunbelt was hit hard by the recession because in most places it was reliant on a housing bubble and had no real economic activity.

You are right though. You are picking up some of the best retirees the North has to offer. Now that they are no longer working the North's actual industries dont need them, and they can enjoy the cheap labor of the south. The way regulation and taxes work down south they can go there and live like kings without actually contributing to the state's economy as a whole. They also create a boom in low wage service jobs that are quickly filled by the North's rejects, along with illegal immigrants.

Make your money in the North and enjoy your hard work with cheap southern labor. Another way to put it is serve in heaven and then reign in hell. Unfortunately Northern values are transforming the south culturally into a more enlightened society. They fail to realize that bringing northern values down south would actually encourage real economic, culturally, and academic development that would destroy their southern aristocracy lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is falling in the north. The sunbelt was hit hard by the recession because in most places it was reliant on a housing bubble and had no real economic activity.

You are right though. You are picking up some of the best retirees the North has to offer. Now that they are no longer working the North's actual industries dont need them, and they can enjoy the cheap labor of the south. The way regulation and taxes work down south they can go there and live like kings without actually contributing to the state's economy as a whole. They also create a boom in low wage service jobs that are quickly filled by the North's rejects, along with illegal immigrants.

Make your money in the North and enjoy your hard work with cheap southern labor. Another way to put it is serve in heaven and then reign in hell. Unfortunately Northern values are transforming the south culturally into a more enlightened society. They fail to realize that bringing northern values down south would actually encourage real economic, culturally, and academic development that would destroy their southern aristocracy lifestyle.
Lol, you have a very elegant style of trolling. But your views (unsubstantiated, by the way) are so simplistic that you're not even worth arguing with.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Lol, you have a very elegant style of trolling. But your views (unsubstantiated, by the way) are so simplistic that you're not even worth arguing with.
Burying your head in the sand is never a good thing. You can ignore what I am saying because the truth hurts, but the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:

Hah. Make money in the north? How the hell can someone do that? Sorry, I was just in DC not even three weeks ago. People there spend $1,500 for a studio for goodness sake. The whole concept of moving/living to/in a place like New York City to "make it big" is a fallacy. Most people living in the north live in crammed squalor and will never make it beyond lower middle class. That stands for nearly every northern city. Most northerners and immigrants have learned this. That is why they are moving to places like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Florida.

Life up north is more expensive, more taxed, with old buildings in disrepair, FREEZING, with parking spots that you have to pay monthly for. I could name a hundred reasons for why the north sucks to live in, and that's coming from a liberal!

Your retirees are awesome btw. They stimulate our economy and provide jobs with their pensions and social security.

Those people moving to the south from the north are not rejects. They tend to be the most entrepreneurial and hard working youth that the north produces. One of my friends who moved here from western Pennsylvania just graduated college, as did one of my friends who moved here from New York City. Many of their hard working family members have followed them. Every one of the migrants I know is working hard and contributing greatly to the south's success. Every person that moves here from the north is considered lost potential for the north. Potential is something the north is losing far more rapidly than people like you want to realize.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
^Tell it, InsaneTraveler.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Burying your head in the sand is never a good thing. You can ignore what I am saying because the truth hurts, but the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.
I would if I thought there was a problem, except I live in a city that's had sustained, robust job growth, a stable housing market, and 'real' industries. And definitely not just minimum-wage. It's also in the Sunbelt.

I'll be the first one to offer up sources to back it up:

Austin, Texas Leads the Nation in Job Growth - CBS News
A Recipe for Middle-Class Jobs - WSJ.com

Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
I can't speak for other sunbelt metros, but here in Tampa I seriously have at least 4 friends (coming from The North) that literally threw everything they owned into their cars, quit their jobs, and just moved down here. They were from the ages of 18-23 when they moved, and none of them had any higher education. One of them told me he only had 1000 bucks to his name, and the others probably had less than that. You meet young people here all the time who just.....do that. Move here with no money, no job, no apartment, and no plan. But, its because it is a safe, clean, affordable, low taxes, and most importantly, WARM place to live.

All of my friends have succeeded here just fine and are surviving, but we have so many people in Tampa that do just what my friends did that it results in us having a very high unemployment rate. It is hard to create jobs for all the masses of people moving here. On the other end, the North only has those low unemployment rates because their youth flee from those climates by the thousands. It must be easy to find jobs for people when so many young people (the group with the highest unemployment) leave.

I don't care how good the economy up north is (which its not. All of their industries are flocking to the South). I would never live within 500 miles of the great lakes.
We get it.....you are afraid of cold places. That does not mean Florida is a "safe, clean, affordable, low-tax, or even 'warm' place to live" (more like HOT AS HELL). The story you described can be repeated for Floridians who moved North, not looking back, with not a dollar to their name, just to get the hell out of there. I'm glad conjecture should be taken with a grain of salt and not taken literally.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Hah. Make money in the North? How the hell can someone do that? Sorry, I was just in DC not even three weeks ago. People there spend $1,500 for a studio for goodness sake. The whole concept of moving/living to/in a place like New York City to "make it big" is a fallacy. Most people living in the North live in crammed squalor and will never make it beyond lower middle class. That stands for nearly every northern city. Most northerners and immigrants have learned this. That is why they are moving to places like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Florida.

Life up north is more expensive, more taxed, with old buildings in disrepair, FREEZING, with parking spots that you have to pay monthly for. I could name a hundred reasons for why the North sucks to live in, and that's coming from a liberal!

Your retirees are awesome btw. They stimulate our economy and provide jobs with their pensions and social security.

Those people moving to the south from the north are not rejects. They tend to be the most entrepreneurial and hard working youth that the north produces. One of my friends who moved here from western Pennsylvania just graduated college, as did one of my friends who moved here from New York City. Many of their hard working family members have followed them. Every one of the migrants I know is working hard and contributing greatly to the south's success. Every person that moves here from the north is considered lost potential for the north. Potential is something the north is losing far more rapidly than people like you want to realize.
Funny I just moved to DC and got offered a starting salary, out of college of, over 50k+, health benefits, and a month of vacation. The reason the area is expensive is because people with skills make a lot of money. DC is bordered by the top 3 richest counties in the US, and has 4 of the top 10 richest counties in the metro area. The north is known as having high per capita GDP, while the South is known for low per capita GDP. Someone who works in the north for a few decades can always retire south and take advantage of the poverty and live like a king. Hell with the money I make I might buy a McMansion in Florida that is selling at a 80% reduced price and hire a few people to maintain it.

Unfortunately people with little to offer society are being priced out of DC and forced to resettle in the south. In many ways it is good for them. The cost of living in the south is much lower and welfare and minimum wage will go much further in the south than in the North where skilled labor makes it expensive. They also get to enjoy a warmer climate. Many of them are uneducated too and they get to enjoy being surrounded by uneducated southerners whom they have a lot in common with education wise.

Unfortunately for the north it is wrecking the illegal drug market and lowering crime rates. Guess the North's loss is the South's gain.

I agree to the retirees provide benefits. They need people to wait on their tables, wash their dishes, clean their houses and pools, mow their yards, ring them up at the cash register, etc. I feel the minimum wage boom in the south is nowhere close to being over.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Many of them are uneducated too and they get to enjoy being surrounded by uneducated southerners whom they have a lot in common with education wise.
You sound like an absolutely perfect match for the D.C. area.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Louisiana is a perfect state.
I cant imagine living elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.