U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,298,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Especially San Francisco.
Well, Nash Bridges did his best to masculinize it...especially in one ep when he referred disparagingly to the 'latte drinkers in Sausolito'.

Texas to me seems the most macho of the states I've visited. I love Louisiana but they don't have quite the same virile energy. It's more casual and laid back.
Much more my speed.

I wish I could get the 'Two and a Half Men' theme outta my head now.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma are very manly states, along with Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado because of the Western rugged individualism. You think of cowboys and cattle ranches in these areas. West Virginia is also very manly with blue collar guys like coal miners. If you want manly in a negative way maybe Los Angeles or Philadelphia with tough boy gangsters, hoods and illegal aliens.

The most womanly place is San Francisco.

I would say most anywhere in the south is ground zero for troglodyte mouth-breathers...i.e. the American definition of "manly".

Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Nashville? Seriously? I lived in the area and it shouldn't even be on the list, IMO. I'd say the manliest cities would be ones in the Great Lakes region, or out west like Montana, the Dakotas, or freaking Alaska,for crying out loud. Nashville is a surprisingly cosmopolitan city surrounded by rednecks who sprint to their trucks when it's drizzling or on a cold day because they can't handle temperatures below 35 degrees (I actually saw that numerous times when I lived in the area). It's full of "tough guys" who will drive by a cyclist in their lifted 4x4s and yell at him, but when he follows them and confronts them they run away like pathetic little b****** (saw that one happen, too). Even where I live now is manlier than Nashville, and this town is full of hipsters and retirees.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM

679 posts, read 570,098 times
Anyone who tries to project their "masculinity" obviously has self-confidence issues or short comings.

I don't mind the west coast "girliness"

Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM

7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
What about Hans and Franz from SNL?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,028 times
Texas and Wyoming.

Cowboy culture can't be beat.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,148,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Nashville? Seriously? I lived in the area and it shouldn't even be on the list, IMO. I'd say the manliest cities would be ones in the Great Lakes region, or out west like Montana, the Dakotas, or freaking Alaska,for crying out loud. Nashville is a surprisingly cosmopolitan city surrounded by rednecks who sprint to their trucks when it's drizzling or on a cold day because they can't handle temperatures below 35 degrees (I actually saw that numerous times when I lived in the area). It's full of "tough guys" who will drive by a cyclist in their lifted 4x4s and yell at him, but when he follows them and confronts them they run away like pathetic little b****** (saw that one happen, too). Even where I live now is manlier than Nashville, and this town is full of hipsters and retirees.
That's hilarious. I was walking in Nashville once and a guy in a pickup truck yelled at me. I yelled at him as loudly as I could that he should get out of that truck and do something about it if my walking bothered him so much. I even through a rock at the truck. He sped away. LOL. Seriously.... very funny... I think he caught me in a particularly foul mood and was shocked by how quickly I was itching for a fight.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's hilarious. I was walking in Nashville once and a guy in a pickup truck yelled at me. I yelled at him as loudly as I could that he should get out of that truck and do something about it if my walking bothered him so much. I even through a rock at the truck. He sped away. LOL. Seriously.... very funny... I think he caught me in a particularly foul mood and was shocked by how quickly I was itching for a fight.
My brother and I were bike commuters in middle TN for several years (him longer) and several times we got to see just how tough these so-called "manly men" were when confronted by the guy who's riding a bicycle home at 9pm in sleet after working for ten hours. The answer: not very tough. Once my brother confronted two kids whom he said looked like they were in high school, and he told me by the end of the little "talk" he gave them he felt bad because one looked like he was about to cry.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
What about Hans and Franz from SNL?
The Combos snack food manliness judges find German accents to be feminine. On the other hand the bear from the Hamms beer ads ranked pretty highly in their study.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Northern Minnesota, a couple Twin Cities suburbs, Northern Wisconsin, UP and Northern Michigan (Pretty much the North-woods)

We are some hardcore fishermen
Over 20 stranded ice anglers rescued on Mille Lacs | kare11.com

We can drive 95+ mph weaving in and out of traffic in our Chevy Silverado with a boat or trailer attached to the back without flinching. Plus we are pros and driving in any weather condition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.