U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,899,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
In your opinion, what are some manly states and cities in the US? Places where as soon as they are mentioned by name you immediately think "macho", "rugged", "rough", or "bad a$$". For me it would be Texas (steak loving, gun-toting), Pennsylvania (very blue collar, pro working man), and New York (strong law enforcement culture, huge sports state, rough accents). Here is an interesting article from September placing Nashville as the manliest city in America.

Nashville Ousts Charlotte to Reclaim Title of 'America's Manliest City' -- HACKETTSTOWN, N.J., Sept. 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

I apologize in advance if this was discussed already.
Apologies are very un-manly. NYC just went down 5 rankings.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM

704 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Just about every place in the country outside a few place is like that once you get out of the cities or into the further out suburbs...It's nothing special. Once you get outside of Portland or travel over to the east side of town or go just about anywhere else in Oregon, a lot of people fit the guns, trucks, and country music stereotype. Denver isn't any more like that from what I've seen then any other city in the West.
I actually had the displeasure of living in Oregon for a year. I went to school in Corvallis. I can tell you that Portland is nothing like Denver. Portland is much more of the San Francisco-esque sort of city--hybrids, lattes, etc, etc, etc. Denver is completely different.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,234 times
Houston, Nashville, Dallas, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Charlotte strike me as manly cities.

As far as manly states, I'd say Texas, Georgia, West Virginia, Mississippi, and Bama.

The west coast is pathetic when it comes to masculinity. Too much of a surplus of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual, passive aggressive snobs.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Houston, Nashville, Dallas, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Charlotte strike me as manly cities.

As far as manly states, I'd say Texas, Georgia, West Virginia, Mississippi, and Bama.

The west coast is pathetic when it comes to masculinity. Too much of a surplus of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual, passive aggressive snobs.
Charlotte???

Old 12-23-2011, 06:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,452,189 times
California followed by Washington.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,372,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
I see Cambridge as more that way, but that's not really my image of Boston itself.

Death Before Dishonor - Break Through It All - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,372,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Anyone who tries to project their "masculinity" obviously has self-confidence issues or short comings.

I don't mind the west coast "girliness"
Same here.

Here's what I want to know... how are we defining "manly?"

Is it El Camino/not bathing/not knowing how to read "manly?"

Is it the classic gentleman who keeps the money coming in, keeps to his word, and likes a good scotch, "manly?"

Or something inbetween...?

Just sort of your average, Coors-from-the-bottle, football-on-TV guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.