U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,536,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It doesn't have to be an "either-or" proposition. One may have a preference for one coast but still very much appreciate both coasts, or they could like them both equally.
Yes, it's possible that someone could like both the east and west coasts equally. I'm just saying that such people are in a pretty small minority (if they're being honest, that is.) Most people have a strong love/hate relationship with the east and west coasts of the U.S.

Consider just one small factor: if you live in LA, SD or SF, then you will likely NEVER experience a white Christmas outside your home. That in itself would be a major turn-off for lots of people in the northeast who enjoy and are used to living in an area with snow in December.

Anyway, that's just been my experience and is also based on speaking with people in general.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-30-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, it's possible that someone could like both the east and west coasts equally. I'm just saying that such people are in a pretty small minority (if they're being honest, that is.) Most people have a strong love/hate relationship with the east and west coasts of the U.S.

Consider just one small factor: if you live in LA, SD or SF, then you will likely NEVER experience a white Christmas outside your home. That in itself would be a major turn-off for lots of people in the northeast who enjoy and are used to living in an area with snow in December.

Anyway, that's just been my experience and is also based on speaking with people in general.
Meh, that is a pretty weak reason to avoid warm locations. The same could be said of those that live south of DC on the East Coast.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Not really, most people I'm friends of and work with have a pretty favorable view of both the West Coast and the East Coast(at least the Northeast)... It's not that rare in reality--most people don't waste time in real life with some grand East vs. West debate. I work with many people from the East Coast who miss certain aspects of the culture of the NE, yet appreciate a lot of things that are different like the landscape and attitudes of the West Coast. Likewise I know plenty of people who moved from the West to New York or Boston, for the reason that they preferred a more urban lifestyle yet still love the West Coast.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,586,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Meh, that is a pretty weak reason to avoid warm locations. The same could be said of those that live south of DC on the East Coast.
No pretty much everywhere outside of the I-10 corridor and south are prone to seasonal snow, ice storms, and cold.
This would include, St. Louis, Little Rock, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, etc.

i.e. most of the south gets more winter like conditions than Coastal California certainly.

The coldest record temp in Atlanta for instance is -10F.
Dallas is -8F. Even down into i-10 cities, Tallahassee and Austin have both recorded a -2F temperature!

While it may not get as much or little snow in the South, it definitely gets cold and definitely has a mild winter.

These kinds of cold days just don't happen in the pacific moderated coastal cities of California.

The lowest in LA is 28...
The lowest in SF is 27...

Around a 40 degree temp difference on the low end, which is significant.

In other words, you'll have to go much farther down than DC... More like Orlando, Tampa, Miami and to a lesser extent New Orleans or Houston which are warmer on average than North of Central Florida and up... Everywhere else is prone to getting cold weather.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
No pretty much everywhere outside of the I-10 corridor and south are prone to seasonal snow, ice storms, and cold.
This would include, St. Louis, Little Rock, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, etc.

i.e. most of the south gets more winter like conditions than Coastal California certainly.

The coldest record temp in Atlanta for instance is -10F.
Dallas is -8F. Even down into i-10 cities, Tallahassee and Austin have both recorded a -2F temperature!

While it may not get as much or little snow in the South, it definitely gets cold and definitely has a mild winter.

These kinds of cold days just don't happen in the pacific moderated coastal cities of California.

The lowest in LA is 28...
The lowest in SF is 27...

Around a 40 degree temp difference on the low end, which is significant.

In other words, you'll have to go much farther down than DC... More like Orlando, Tampa, Miami and to a lesser extent New Orleans or Houston which are warmer on average than North of Central Florida and up... Everywhere else is prone to getting cold weather.
That is nice, I know it snows there, I was referring to the southern East Coast, as in everything from I95 east.

PS: I got caught in snow driving from LA to SF when I took I5 through Valencia / San Santa Clarita. I believe it has snowed within the LA city limits this year, if not it definitely did last year in Studio City up on the mountains.

I know that is not remotely the same as a white Christmas, but if I truly craved a white Christmas I could easily drive the 2 hours to Big Bear and rent a cabin for Christmas.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,586,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That is nice, I know it snows there, I was referring to the southern East Coast, as in everything from I95 east.

PS: I got caught in snow driving from LA to SF when I took I5 through Valencia / San Santa Clarita. I believe it has snowed within the LA city limits this year, if not it definitely did last year in Studio City up on the mountains.

I know that is not remotely the same as a white Christmas, but if I truly craved a white Christmas I could easily drive the 2 hours to Big Bear and rent a cabin for Christmas.
You are right, it would be happenstance to get a white Christmas in any of the areas I mentioned. It is actually hard to get white Christmas in most regions. Most snowfall generally occurs Jan-March, more or less "up north".

So you are definitely correct on the "white christmas" meaning snowfall, but a lot of the south will feel seasonally more comparable (i.e. colder) than coastal California Dec-Feb. You'll have some dead trees, and generally won't have a nice sunny 75 degree day.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
You are right, it would be happenstance to get a white Christmas in any of the areas I mentioned. It is actually hard to get white Christmas in most regions. Most snowfall generally occurs Jan-March, more or less "up north".

So you are definitely correct on the "white christmas" meaning snowfall, but a lot of the south will feel seasonally more comparable (i.e. colder) than coastal California Dec-Feb. You'll have some dead trees, and generally won't have a nice sunny 75 degree day.

Sorry for the confusion.
No worries, though I think Northern California has its briskness (winter there reminds me of fall in Boston), but yeah, it was 80 yesterday here in LA, not really what one thinks of winter weather. But I love it personally.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,240,706 times
East coast dribbles!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 PM

10,789 posts, read 9,419,272 times
Let me summarize this post:

Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
Those "USA as seen by a New Yorker" maps are so played out. The New Yorker magazine did it first and best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or