U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM

10 posts, read 9,664 times

Advertisements

So here it goes. Im a MN native currently studying at the University of Minnesota. I chose here because I liked the size of the city and it was convenient being in-state, but after being here a while Ive haven't found the types of friends that I would like to have. I have been scouring this site for info because I want out so bad and I feel like it will be better to move during college so I don't have to move somewhere and set up a new network for myself when I am looking for a legitimate job after graduation. I was born and raised on a farm, but I love the opportunities that are in the bigger cities I just don't buy into the big diversity push and liberal agenda, along with the common mindset of the people up here in MN.

So here is ideally what I would like to find:

-I would really like a place where I could find other musicians to party and play and write songs with. Ive considered Nashville but I don't want to be lumped in with the droves of people going to try to get famous. I just really want to be around people who like the good old style country music along with some bluegrass.

-This kinda goes along with the first thing but I would like to be in a place where live music(specifically country) is more popular than the dance club scene.

-Weather isn't too big of an issue, MN is basically the worst cold and the worst hot and humid as it gets so I'd be up for anything else.

-A place that has a good college would also be a good thing, one with a good balance of partying and academics.

-As far as people go I like easy going people who can genuinely enjoy life. Im politically conservative. Im pretty cultured and educated, however I don't expect to be in a place where everyone else is. A big plus would be a place where girls wouldn't scoff at my boots and my love for trucks, dogs, and fishing.

-Ultimately I would like to be in a smaller town in the south but I understand that at this point in my life the city is probably where ill be best off.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Perhaps schools like Texas A&M, Wyoming, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Belmont in Nashville, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Morehead State, Eastern Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Montana, Montana State, Eastern Tennessee State and Tennessee-Martin, among some others.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,763 times
You should look into Austin, TX. Although the summers are brutal....

Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 PM

Seems like a lot of southern places like I expected. Will definitely look into them, Ive heard lots of good things about Austin too. Thanks guys!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 42,895 times
Austin, Texas might be good.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Does anyone have an idea about Knoxville?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM

52 posts, read 42,760 times
Is Kentucky too far north for you? Because Lexington fits part of what you're looking for. St. Louis is also good.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMN View Post
Does anyone have an idea about Knoxville?
It probably fits as well and the University of Tennessee is there. So, it might be a good fit for you.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnother View Post
Is Kentucky too far north for you? Because Lexington fits part of what you're looking for. St. Louis is also good.
I would definitely consider Kentucky. Ive been through there once and thought it was really nice based on the few hours I spent there, just haven't heard a lot about it beyond that.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM

365 posts, read 554,250 times
I think you would like Louisville Ky. It is a college town,has a big music scene. Active nightlife the bars close at 4am. Major concerts,The Ky Derby the town gets wild.The Highlands are is filled with shops,restaraunts and caters to the college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.