U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,974,740 times

Advertisements

America doesn't hold a candle to the country it was before WW2. Then there were big, clean, safe citites(and I mean all cities) with big real life neighborhoods where people didn't have to lock their doors because of crime. There was a general trust between people even if you didn't know them. Of course times were tough in many ways because it was the great depression during those times. But overall times were much better and then WW2 happened and that is the dividing line between the real traditional america and the decline of america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,399,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
America doesn't hold a candle to the country it was before WW2. Then there were big, clean, safe citites(and I mean all cities) with big real life neighborhoods where people didn't have to lock their doors because of crime. There was a general trust between people even if you didn't know them. Of course times were tough in many ways because it was the great depression during those times. But overall times were much better and then WW2 happened and that is the dividing line between the real traditional america and the decline of america.
Yes, suburban sprawl killed America. It led into a downfall of the community and people living in isolated houses centered on themselves. Industry and business was overtaken by generic franchises selling crap. The corporations and wall street lobbied the government to expand credit to sink into debt buying cheap houses in terrible communities and buying things they didnt need.

Thankfully the suburbs are so cancerous they are now killing themselves.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM

48,270 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I sound cynical to you, but I have a hard time believing that. I can't help but look at this through the lens of a Black man. As a Black man, my life would have been different back before World War II. It would not have been good. Times were for for White people, not for Black people. If life was so great for Black people, the Civil Rights movement would not have been necessary. Cynic, yes that's me. America may have been great back before WWII, but not for Blacks. Jim Crow, threat of lynchings, restrictive covenants, Blacks could not even vote in many places, some towns were off limits to Blacks(aka sundown towns). As bad as things are today, I would not live in 1939. I couldn't do it considering the things I do today.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,629,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm sorry if I sound cynical to you, but I have a hard time believing that. I can't help but look at this through the lens of a Black man. As a Black man, my life would have been different back before World War II. It would not have been good. Times were for for White people, not for Black people. If life was so great for Black people, the Civil Rights movement would not have been necessary. Cynic, yes that's me. America may have been great back before WWII, but not for Blacks. Jim Crow, threat of lynchings, restrictive covenants, Blacks could not even vote in many places, some towns were off limits to Blacks(aka sundown towns). As bad as things are today, I would not live in 1939. I couldn't do it considering the things I do today.
Very True!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Very True!
The way I see it, the USA was the big manufacturing powerhouse back in the 40's and 50's. My grandfather worked in a factor. Still, America wasn't great for EVERYONE. If a portion of the population is being treated poorly because of skin color, race, and ethnicity, then how is that great?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, the USA was the big manufacturing powerhouse back in the 40's and 50's. My grandfather worked in a factor. Still, America wasn't great for EVERYONE. If a portion of the population is being treated poorly because of skin color, race, and ethnicity, then how is that great?
Totally agree. My grandfather grew up in the same era. Racism was institutionalized everywhere in America. Sometimes I wonder how much has really changed. Black people were never really able to get a strong middle class, because the industrial base vanished when it was our time to build equity. At the same time urban renewal and highways destroyed our communities. My grandfather was alive when urban renewal destroyed his Mill Creek Valley neighborhood in St. Louis. Then the dreaded Pruitt Igoe Housing Projects were built. It was a horrible time for Black folks.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 PM

The ironic thing about this economic downturn is formally middle class white people complaining about inequities in society. Now we hear all this talk about America's decline, where has our prosperity gone? etc. etc. The playing field has never been level for Black Americans. Ask a Native American how they feel about the "decline of America". Unfortunately, we live in a society that doesn't believe in Karma or simply that you reap what you sow, which is quite odd for a so called Christian nation.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The ironic thing about this economic downturn is formally middle class white people complaining about inequities in society. Now we hear all this talk about America's decline, where has our prosperity gone? etc. etc. The playing field has never been level for Black Americans. Ask a Native American how they feel about the "decline of America". Unfortunately, we live in a society that doesn't believe in Karma or simply that you reap what you sow, which is quite odd for a so called Christian nation.
You raise an interesting point. Even in the best of times, Blacks have had higher unemployment rates and higher poverty rates than the rest of the nation. I haven't heard many, if any, Black people talking about "this nation is declining".

I read a book about some things that were going on in the 1980's. I found this in the book: "It's a recession if White people are out of jobs, it's a depression if more White people are out of jobs. It's business as usual if I'm out of a job." It was featuring a Black man saying this.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,630,717 times
Quote:
America doesn't hold a candle to the country it was before WW2. Then there were big, clean, safe citites(and I mean all cities) with big real life neighborhoods where people didn't have to lock their doors because of crime. There was a general trust between people even if you didn't know them,
Yeah, I'm sure Chicago and places like the Lower East Side of New York were a real clean and safe paradise in the 1920s...

Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I'm sure Chicago and places like the Lower East Side of New York were a real clean and safe paradise in the 1920s...
Yeah, I didn't live before WWII, so I can't really say that America wasn't some paradise back then, but I mean, come on. Great Depression, a third of people out of work. If anything, WWII was a turning point in which we really asserted ourself as a true superpower. And I can't help but think that if it weren't for things like the start of allowing more racial equality in the armed forces, and the coming of the American decade, we wouldn't have had the big cultural revolutions of the 60s that in large part define 90% of what we identify as American traits today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or