U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,243,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Yeah, I didn't live before WWII, so I can't really say that America wasn't some paradise back then, but I mean, come on. Great Depression, a third of people out of work. If anything, WWII was a turning point in which we really asserted ourself as a true superpower. And I can't help but think that if it weren't for things like the start of allowing more racial equality in the armed forces, and the coming of the American decade, we wouldn't have had the big cultural revolutions of the 60s that in large part define 90% of what we identify as American traits today.
It's real late Deezus. Just typing this to make it clear to everybody that this post wasn't directed toward you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,792,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Would you say it was in the '90s? The quality of life and such here. Pretty much everyone agrees America today isn't as good a place to live as it was in say, 1970 or something like that.
Totally wrong assertion on your part. The standard of living is far higher today in the States than it was in the 70s, which is pretty much deemed an awful decade by all Americans.

Let's look at total trends today compared to the 70s or even the 90s:

Crime = Significantly lower
Wealth = Significantly higher
Manufacturing Production = Roughly 50% higher than in 1990
Taxes = Lower

Look, I'm not trying to be some kind of sunshine pumper, but I tend to be a little suspicious of the doomsayers, especially when there's broad, statistical proof that, in just about every segment of American life today, things are far better. The only thing that hasn't changed much is the amount of whining that goes on.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,997,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Totally wrong assertion on your part. The standard of living is far higher today in the States than it was in the 70s, which is pretty much deemed an awful decade by all Americans.

Let's look at total trends today compared to the 70s or even the 90s:

Crime = Significantly lower
Wealth = Significantly higher
Manufacturing Production = Roughly 50% higher than in 1990
Taxes = Lower

Look, I'm not trying to be some kind of sunshine pumper, but I tend to be a little suspicious of the doomsayers, especially when there's broad, statistical proof that, in just about every segment of American life today, things are far better. The only thing that hasn't changed much is the amount of whining that goes on.

Taxes were not lower. Taxes on the middle class have been going up since the 1960s. That is why the middle class is shrinking. Even if your paycheck kept up with inflation since 1965, your take home pay is less due to a higher percentage of the paycheck going to taxes.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,751,984 times
Social wise: When prayers in public schools were considered unconstitutional in 1962, then the day JFK was assassinated. Americans were shocked by JFK's assassination and lost faith in our standing in the world. Shortly after that, the Beatles came over and introduced their music and their long hair. Fashion trends began to change slightly around 1963/64 which foreshadowed the social changes to come. Then the hippie movement began in the mid 1960s, introduced us to LSD, marijuana and other crazy drugs. Everything crashed after that point.

Economy wise: 1973 & 1974, with the oil crisis. 1973 was when real wages peaked and haven't since returned to the levels seen then. In terms of real wages, the average man aged 20-24 today makes significantly less money than men in that same age bracket did in the early 1970s.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,243,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Social wise: When prayers in public schools were considered unconstitutional in 1962, then the day JFK was assassinated. Americans were shocked by JFK's assassination and lost faith in our standing in the world. Shortly after that, the Beatles came over and introduced their music and their long hair. Fashion trends began to change slightly around 1963/64 which foreshadowed the social changes to come. Then the hippie movement began in the mid 1960s, introduced us to LSD, marijuana and other crazy drugs. Everything crashed after that point.

Economy wise: 1973 & 1974, with the oil crisis. 1973 was when real wages peaked and haven't since returned to the levels seen then. In terms of real wages, the average man aged 20-24 today makes significantly less money than men in that same age bracket did in the early 1970s.
You may have a point economy wise, but as far as all the social stuff, if you find all of that offensive, why do you live in Key West, of all places?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
You may have a point economy wise, but as far as all the social stuff, if you find all of that offensive, why do you live in Key West, of all places?
Because I was born and raised here (my family's been here since the late 1800s; I'm 4th generation conch). But I plan on moving away next year after I complete my two years of community college. I'll most likely move to Tampa or Tallahassee. However, moving out of the state isn't out of the question. If I did, it'd be Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM

48,300 posts, read 45,587,548 times
Quote:
Because I was born and raised here (my family's been here since the late 1800s; I'm 4th generation conch). But I plan on moving away next year after I complete my two years of community college. I'll most likely move to Tampa or Tallahassee. However, moving out of the state isn't out of the question. If I did, it'd be Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee.
I can understand you not liking LSD. However, what is wrong with long hair and hippies? I have no problems with them. I occasionally grow an afro(I'm African-American). Recently I'm moving away from it because it's so hard to take care, especially in the summer, and Atlanta summers are brutal. I've had no problems with hippies. I have no issues with the Beatles either.

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a visit to Key West.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,405,211 times
Quote:

Yep, its all the Beatles fault. In fact the Beatles and lack of prayer in school is the reason for the economic decline. Jesus is cursing us for making the Beatles more popular than him.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM

697 posts, read 2,026,365 times
I don't know if America is "declining" per say, but the country has become a lot more polarized.

I can't draw from a wealth of experience of how America was like before (being 31 years of age), but from what everything I've heard and read about it seems like America has become more and more "unbalanced" (not sure this would be the correct term).

There are some political chatter within some of these posts. And it shows an example of how divided we have become within our politics. Both of our political parties have been leaning more and more to the left and right.

While I still believe most of Americans still are placed somewhere in the middle, the far-leaning aspects of either side have been becoming more and more vocal. It's to the point where it's hard to compromise or accomplish anything anymore.

Public opinion of the government and its ability to function is at an all time low. And unfortunately this is being all played out during a time where we can ill afford it the most.

Other posts talk about the wealth of America. It's true that the wealth has increased enormously as our GDP has skyrocketed over the decades. But the effects of that growing wealth is becoming more and more widely disproportionate.

There are many areas of the country that are seriously declining. America isn't just made up of NYC, LA, SF, DC, BOS, CHI, DAL, HOU etc. Most of the people in this country DO NOT live in these areas. And the wealth that is being generated within these few population centers have been so staggering, that it greatly increases overall GDP. And at the same time the quality of life is getting worse and worse everywhere else. Thus the difference of perception between a declining America and a prosperous one.

Also there is an alarming growing gap in income disparity as some others have noted in the thread.

I'm not an "Occupy Whatever" supporter, but this subject has become more and more worrisome.

From an article

Income inequality in the Roman Empire

Over the last 30 years, wealth in the United States has been steadily concentrating in the upper economic echelons. Whereas the top 1 percent used to control a little over 30 percent of the wealth, they now control 40 percent. It’s a trend that was for decades brushed under the rug but is now on the tops of minds and at the tips of tongues.

Since too much inequality can foment revolt and instability, the CIA regularly updates statistics on income distribution for countries around the world, including the U.S. Between 1997 and 2007, inequality in the U.S. grew by almost 10 percent, making it more unequal than Russia, infamous for its powerful oligarchs. The U.S. is not faring well historically, either. Even the Roman Empire, a society built on conquest and slave labor, had a more equitable income distribution.

I understand the arguments for both sides, but I also think that the marginalizing of the middle class (which America was built on) is very unhealthy to the country. One small part of the country is heading in one direction and a large swath of it is heading in the other and the ones who used to be in the middle aren't in the middle anymore.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yep, its all the Beatles fault. In fact the Beatles and lack of prayer in school is the reason for the economic decline. Jesus is cursing us for making the Beatles more popular than him.
I can't believe some of the things people say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or