U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I can't believe some of the things people say...
I know, right? Earlier someone blamed the Beatles and separation of church and state for the decline of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,948,692 times
i wasn't alive but i like what i hear of the 50s. back when the cities were segregated and had rich culture as a result (little italy, belmont, woodside, south boston, harlem), back when criminals were out digging ditches, back when suburban wannabes didn't exist. back when people cared about their backyards in the city, when being white wasn't something to be ashamed of, when people had strong family values.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,748,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can understand you not liking LSD. However, what is wrong with long hair and hippies? I have no problems with them. I occasionally grow an afro(I'm African-American). Recently I'm moving away from it because it's so hard to take care, especially in the summer, and Atlanta summers are brutal. I've had no problems with hippies. I have no issues with the Beatles either.

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a visit to Key West.
Well if you do, I hope you have money saved up, hotels are rather expensive, most of them over $90 per night. There's not much to do here. We mostly have bars and t shirt shops for the tourists. But we do have a train and a trolley which carry people around to sight see everything. I've always enjoyed that. We also have a ghost tour. Other things to do are look at all the old conch houses.

Beaches... I would recommend Fort Zachary. Its a really nice beach. Plus there's an old fort there that was built during the Civil War. It's supposedly haunted.

I think we have a boat company where they take you out to the reefs to go diving. But I'm not sure.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM

48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well if you do, I hope you have money saved up, hotels are rather expensive, most of them over $90 per night. There's not much to do here. We mostly have bars and t shirt shops for the tourists. But we do have a train and a trolley which carry people around to sight see everything. I've always enjoyed that. We also have a ghost tour. Other things to do are look at all the old conch houses.

Beaches... I would recommend Fort Zachary. Its a really nice beach. Plus there's an old fort there that was built during the Civil War. It's supposedly haunted.

I think we have a boat company where they take you out to the reefs to go diving. But I'm not sure.
If I am allowed to sleep on the beach, I could get by with a tent. I don't do ghosts. The last time I did a haunted house, it scared me to the point of screaming like a girl(literally). And for a 25 year old straight male, it must have been scary. Then again, I scare easily. I like the train and trolley idea.

Reefs, I like. What I want to see is the Christ of the Deep statue(I'm Catholic, so I really want to see it).

I figured I might fit in down in Key West because I never really felt like I fit in so well in Georgia(at least many parts of metropolitan Atlanta).

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,986,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I don't know if America is "declining" per say, but the country has become a lot more polarized.

I can't draw from a wealth of experience of how America was like before (being 31 years of age), but from what everything I've heard and read about it seems like America has become more and more "unbalanced" (not sure this would be the correct term).

There are some political chatter within some of these posts. And it shows an example of how divided we have become within our politics. Both of our political parties have been leaning more and more to the left and right.

While I still believe most of Americans still are placed somewhere in the middle, the far-leaning aspects of either side have been becoming more and more vocal. It's to the point where it's hard to compromise or accomplish anything anymore.

Public opinion of the government and its ability to function is at an all time low. And unfortunately this is being all played out during a time where we can ill afford it the most.

Other posts talk about the wealth of America. It's true that the wealth has increased enormously as our GDP has skyrocketed over the decades. But the effects of that growing wealth is becoming more and more widely disproportionate.

There are many areas of the country that are seriously declining. America isn't just made up of NYC, LA, SF, DC, BOS, CHI, DAL, HOU etc. Most of the people in this country DO NOT live in these areas. And the wealth that is being generated within these few population centers have been so staggering, that it greatly increases overall GDP. And at the same time the quality of life is getting worse and worse everywhere else. Thus the difference of perception between a declining America and a prosperous one.

Also there is an alarming growing gap in income disparity as some others have noted in the thread.

I'm not an "Occupy Whatever" supporter, but this subject has become more and more worrisome.

From an article

Income inequality in the Roman Empire

Over the last 30 years, wealth in the United States has been steadily concentrating in the upper economic echelons. Whereas the top 1 percent used to control a little over 30 percent of the wealth, they now control 40 percent. Its a trend that was for decades brushed under the rug but is now on the tops of minds and at the tips of tongues.

Since too much inequality can foment revolt and instability, the CIA regularly updates statistics on income distribution for countries around the world, including the U.S. Between 1997 and 2007, inequality in the U.S. grew by almost 10 percent, making it more unequal than Russia, infamous for its powerful oligarchs. The U.S. is not faring well historically, either. Even the Roman Empire, a society built on conquest and slave labor, had a more equitable income distribution.

I understand the arguments for both sides, but I also think that the marginalizing of the middle class (which America was built on) is very unhealthy to the country. One small part of the country is heading in one direction and a large swath of it is heading in the other and the ones who used to be in the middle aren't in the middle anymore.

I thought the income tax was created in the early 1900s to eliminate the great wealth disparity between the rich and everybody else?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM

551 posts, read 997,275 times
I think America declined in the 80s when we started giving our jobs overseas to other countries. Before that we were mostly self sufficient and now America doesn't have much industry. America also is declining even more now. Temporarily after 9/11, we were very united but now we are very divided politically. I even have first hand experience both here on the C-D forums with this and in real life. It feels like Americans cannot talk about America anymore without people getting offended and turning to anger and name calling, I think this is a sign that America is declining. Yes, inequality is another big issue and ever since the 1980s America is declining because income inequality is getting worse and worse whereas when America was at its height in the 1950s, everyone had their "American dream" of having their own house, car, and lawn all to themselves but these things aren't sustainable so eventually and naturally they have to decline if they cannot be kept up. We are now in the opposite situation that America was at its height in the 1950s.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think America declined in the 80s when we started giving our jobs overseas to other countries. Before that we were mostly self sufficient and now America doesn't have much industry. America also is declining even more now. Temporarily after 9/11, we were very united but now we are very divided politically. I even have first hand experience both here on the C-D forums with this and in real life. It feels like Americans cannot talk about America anymore without people getting offended and turning to anger and name calling, I think this is a sign that America is declining. Yes, inequality is another big issue and ever since the 1980s America is declining because income inequality is getting worse and worse whereas when America was at its height in the 1950s, everyone had their "American dream" of having their own house, car, and lawn all to themselves but these things aren't sustainable so eventually and naturally they have to decline if they cannot be kept up. We are now in the opposite situation that America was at its height in the 1950s.
The elite have created artificial divisions among the populace to keep them distracted from the real issues.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM

958 posts, read 922,826 times
I don't think America's even fulfilled its real potential yet, let alone declined.

We're a very young country. We're the most diverse country in the world. We're one of the largest, most populated countries in the world. As much as we all like to say otherwise, we really are the land of opportunity.

Nothing can compare to that.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i wasn't alive but i like what i hear of the 50s. back when the cities were segregated and had rich culture as a result (little italy, belmont, woodside, south boston, harlem), back when criminals were out digging ditches, back when suburban wannabes didn't exist. back when people cared about their backyards in the city, when being white wasn't something to be ashamed of, when people had strong family values.
Your ashamed?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,948,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Your ashamed?
no, but they are

and it's not just those who actually ACT black 24/7. these pictures are 3 examples of those ashamed to be white. picture 1 is typical pc white person with white guilt. picture 2 is white girls so invested/brainwashed by pop hip hop culture that they would love a man like j cole and to be black but they still at least talk and usually act like suburban white girls. picture 3 is the classic wannabe who actually thinks he's black so much that he talks ghetto in his sleep.

Mishap Gallery: Damian Kalish - conceptual fashions: I'm ashamed to be white.

wigger girls | People WTF!

The Wigger Fallacy Abagond

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 01-29-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or