U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh PA
1,127 posts, read 1,967,893 times
Reputation: 568

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I think the rich were better off in the early 1900s, pre-income tax days.
If you are wealthy, chances are you earn money in ways that your taxable income is a relatively small portion of your takehome pay. That is why it annoys me when the rich cry "we are taxed so much"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Bull****. Barack Obama had two years with Democrats in charge of both houses of Congress, and it was during this period that Congress approved a bunch of unpopular and unaffordable programs that Obama wasted no time signing into law. There's a reason why Obama's popularity is in such decline, and it's the same reason why the Democrats lost the House in 2010, and could lose both the Senate and the White House in 2012.
Obama hasn't really done much of anything lately. A concerted effort by the Republicans, especially just the fact that they are all vieing to run on the "anybody but Obama" ticket, is a large reason his popularity has declined.

I'm no Obama worshiper. I though it was disgraceful the way he handled the auto bailouts by subverting the federal statutes on debt so that he could favor the unions. And while I don't see "socialized medicine" as the great evil a lot of people do, it a. may just not be right for this country and b. was not handled well, at all, by either Obama or his flunkies in Congress. With that said, the current crop of Republicans is a bunch of clowns who, as I said, are running solely on the issue that they're not Obama. I'll probably skip this election, for the first time since I hit voting age. I'm disgusted with the current state of American politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,222 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Reputation: 14673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
...the current crop of Republicans is a bunch of clowns who, as I said, are running solely on the issue that they're not Obama.
It's no different than the Democrats in 2004 who expected people to vote for them simply because they weren't George W. Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'll probably skip this election, for the first time since I hit voting age. I'm disgusted with the current state of American politics.
My vote doesn't matter because there'll be two dead people to cancel it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
My vote doesn't matter because there'll be two dead people to cancel it out.
Didn't know you lived in Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
Reputation: 48187
i am appalled by posts implying it started with bill clinton and monica lewinsky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's no different than the Democrats in 2004 who expected people to vote for them simply because they weren't George W. Bush.
Or John McCain in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,564,141 times
Reputation: 1584
When they elected Jimmy Carter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Would you say it was in the '90s? The quality of life and such here. Pretty much everyone agrees America today isn't as good a place to live as it was in say, 1970 or something like that.
Well I wouldn't around in 1970, but I do believe life is better now in America than it was anytime back then. I would never consider living in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,927 posts, read 7,577,600 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
I'd say the decline started in 08, but that may or may not last!

Either way, I'm hopeful. Especially as the Chinese standard of living/middle class rises, it will eventually be more reasonable to produce goods here again.

Also, maybe we'll see the reestablishment of matched tariffs to bolster our local economies as well. That's a dream, though. It'll never happen.
China has a long way to go! I'm not sure why people are concerned about them. It could be hundreds of years before they become something "big."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,629,123 times
Reputation: 1513
Moral decline? When has America ever been a moral country? Isn't this the land of indigenous genocide, slavery, human/civil rights violations, and war mongering? I'd say the decline began in 1492!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top