U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,800 posts, read 11,782,480 times
Reputation: 5154

Advertisements

A long time ago..

But the world's been in an even greater decline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
Reputation: 15467
When we decided to stop making things here and began living off of credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,240,147 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
The thing is we don't need unskilled labor, we need more entrepreneurs, there are not enough jobs for the population as it stands so I don't see how a massive gain in population would be good. I will say that our racist immigration system really needs to be fixed but that is another topic completely
Growth is generally a good thing. Unskilled laborers will work the jobs that people whose families have been here for generations won't. And who, exactly, will work for all these entrepreneurs? I started my own business when I was 25, and out of the five or six people who I employed, all but one of them could have been considered "unskilled" as far as the actual job description was concerned.

I'll also mention that much has been made of the "Texas miracle" as far as it being the leading state for job growth in the country. If you look at the actual demographics, though, a large part of that "miracle" is that Mexican immigration flooded their urban areas with cheap labor who would do the lowly manufacturing jobs, etc. that so many of those with an isolationist bent claim is what America needs to focus on.

As great as it would be if we could just create an economy where every job paid $15 an hour or more, the fact is that ideology ignores the role of transportation in trade.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 12-30-2011 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM
 
511 posts, read 2,087,030 times
Reputation: 633
1964 when the hippies came out and free love and irresponsibility started to be the norm. After 1964 the crime rate went up and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,182,160 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
1964 when the hippies came out and free love and irresponsibility started to be the norm. After 1964 the crime rate went up and up.
I don't know if your statement about crime increasing post-1964 is true, but I DO know, and you can check this yourself at the FBI site is that it's dropped dramatically since 1990,across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago =)
307 posts, read 443,617 times
Reputation: 233
I'd say early 70s when the economy went kaput and white flight was at its height, the decline probably

continued throught the 80s too, a bit of resurgence in the 90s and early to mid 2000s. 07 kinda halted

that though, and we have stagnated since then. The economy has been steady this whole year,
So I hope 2012 will be a better year for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Status: "I CRAVE Canine-stew" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
16,471 posts, read 16,581,098 times
Reputation: 12462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is much harder to move an elephant than it is to move a horse.
Really, a horse will bite your face off. And what are you trying to imply by this cryptic statement?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,051,879 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Would you say it was in the '90s? The quality of life and such here. Pretty much everyone agrees America today isn't as good a place to live as it was in say, 1970 or something like that.
I honestly think the "peak" of American power and prosperity was in the year 2000, though much of what is causing America's decline can be traced back to at least the 1950s. America started to show signs of imminent decline when the mantle of power shifted from the GI generation to the baby boomers.

The baby boomers were the most spoiled generation in American history at the time they grew up, and millennials are 100x more spoiled than the baby boomers ever were. Because most people alive today and in power have always known material excess, their world views and values are quite different from the GI generation and before. The entitlement mentality today will be this country's downfall, and that's becoming more and more clear with each passing year. Its the reason we are being strangled by debt. Is the reason the younger generation has more faith in socialist European countries than they do the US government. It's even the reason for the unemployment crisis, as we shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas so we could shop at Wal-Mart and save a few pennies. I believe we are past the point of no return. I'm afraid its going to take a serious economic crisis to really change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 16 days ago)
 
48,257 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Reputation: 15348
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The 1960s of course. Everything went downhill after that.
I don't know. For many people, life before the 1960's wasn't so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,362 posts, read 3,194,644 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you are in the top 15% or so (upper-middle class) in terms of income in America, then you will most likely not think that America has declined. The rich and affluent are better off now than at any time in American history - even the 1990s.

That's why most people strive to become at least upper-middle class in this country.
I doubt that will last too long. If we look at history, whenever wealth becomes to centralized in a civilized society, heads will roll. The elite in America right now are acting no different from Marie Antoinette. In mass swaths of the country, there are no jobs. But struggling under and unemployed working and middle class people and educated people in debt to their eye balls are told to "blame themselves" and basically eat cake and draw blood from a stone. There is footage of Wall Street elite drinking champagne on a balcony while occupy protestors stomp the streets below. The only reason why many Occupy demonstrations have died down recently is because its Winter and its freezing outside. Once the Spring rolls in, expect Occupy to come back in full force larger and angrier. Look at all the chaos that has been happening at Occupy rallies. The Occupy demonstrations in Oakland have been especially violent.

The elite in this country is hellbent on bringing widespread third world poverty to America. That is the end goal of globalization. Globalization is a race to the bottom where American workers are expected to compete with people happy to work for slave wages on the other side of the planet. Actually, its worse than that because companies have straight up shutdown thousands of manufacturing facilities in America are relocated them in China. The middle class hard hat worker in America is obsolete. This is the reason why Detroit ranks as one of the most dangerous cities in the world. This is terrible because manufacturing is what created America's stupendous wealth; not the artificial affluence of overpaid government jobs and paper-pushing seat warmers paid for by tax dollars and drunken irresponsible federal spending. Americans will refuse to accept a continuing declining standard of living. That ain't gonna happen. There will be kicking and screaming. But that kicking and screaming will be more like burning buildings and mercy killings. Why does America think that we are somehow special and won't see the same magnitude violence that has been occurring in the Middle East caused by the exact same problems here in America? Why do we forget that history always repeats itself? Average American people who are used to this spoiled faux-affluence fueled by credit aren't going to stand by and accept third world poverty with open arms. Our founding fathers did not intend for America to be a land of 15% of lazy comfortable non-workers living a decadent lifestyle surrounded by a seething impoverished populace.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-21-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top