Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Bull****. Barack Obama had two years with Democrats in charge of both houses of Congress, and it was during this period that Congress approved a bunch of unpopular and unaffordable programs that Obama wasted no time signing into law. There's a reason why Obama's popularity is in such decline, and it's the same reason why the Democrats lost the House in 2010, and could lose both the Senate and the White House in 2012.

And also why the Democrats lost Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Would you say it was in the '90s? The quality of life and such here. Pretty much everyone agrees America today isn't as good a place to live as it was in say, 1970 or something like that.
??

The 90's were pure boomtime. Low unemployment, racial economic equality was coming more into line, crime rates were going down from the mid 90's on, stock market was booming, economy was booming, we had federal surpluses.

The 1970's was when the economy finally crashed after the post WWII boom. My parents said the 70's was the most depressing decade for our country since the 30's.

The 2000's was when our government got out of whack. Taxes today are far lower in relation to the economy than every before, but for some reason people are walking around screaming that they're too HIGH. I'm not saying I like high taxes, but we can't run our government on the taxes we pay, and it's going to bring us down. In every other war in US history we've raised taxes specifically at times of war to help fund them. During WWII the highest tax rates were over 90%! This time around we got into $1 trillion dollar wars and then CUT taxes.

I'm just glad I'm already in my 30's. I can't imagine being born just now. Our country is going to be in a world of crap if we don't figure out our finances and get our heads out of the sand.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And also why the Democrats lost Michigan.
And also why the Republicans now control both wings of the State Capitol and the Governor's Mansion in Pennsylvania.

If Barack Obama loses Pennsylvania, then his reelection campaign is dead.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM

442 posts, read 536,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
??

The 90's were pure boomtime. Low unemployment, racial economic equality was coming more into line, crime rates were going down from the mid 90's on, stock market was booming, economy was booming, we had federal surpluses.

The 1970's was when the economy finally crashed after the post WWII boom. My parents said the 70's was the most depressing decade for our country since the 30's.

The 2000's was when our government got out of whack. Taxes today are far lower in relation to the economy than every before, but for some reason people are walking around screaming that they're too HIGH. I'm not saying I like high taxes, but we can't run our government on the taxes we pay, and it's going to bring us down. In every other war in US history we've raised taxes specifically at times of war to help fund them. During WWII the highest tax rates were over 90%! This time around we got into $1 trillion dollar wars and then CUT taxes.

I'm just glad I'm already in my 30's. I can't imagine being born just now. Our country is going to be in a world of crap if we don't figure out our finances and get our heads out of the sand.

This guy gets it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
??

The oil embargo in 73/74 had a lot to do with the economy crashing in the 70s. Then came Jimmy Carter......

Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM

22,569 posts, read 24,365,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I'd say by just about every measurable standard, life today is much better than 1970. How would you figure otherwise?

Right on.........cars have gotten dramatically cleaner, this is a huge plus for the environment.

Remember "draft tubes"......a vehicles crankcase emissions conveniently spewed out onto the roadway.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 11,387 times
This is really such an open ended question. America has been in constant change ever since we became a country, but more took place from the civil war era onward. It would really depend on what specific values you want to look at and your definition of decline. I feel like the period following the civil war was really when freedom for individual states took a bad turn. However, the whole country really changed as a result of the Vietnam war and the controversy surrounding it. A lot of the infrastructure built by presidents like Theodore Roosevelt was totally destroyed as a result of Vietnam. You could also look at the fact that America was founded to escape the massive controlling governments in Europe, and ironically we have become just that. Immigration and national pride and strength could be another factor you want to look at. Some people fail to understand that the immigrants of old came here and were expected to take on the American identity, i.e. shedding their old customs and beliefs and pledging faith in this country and only this country. Now you don't see that same assimilation and you could argue that our nation is weaker as a result. Or, you could also argue that this openness makes the country stronger. It really is up to your personal views and interpretation. Personally, I think that the two main points of decline were after the Civil War and after Vietnam.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,923,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMN View Post
Some people fail to understand that the immigrants of old came here and were expected to take on the American identity, i.e. shedding their old customs and beliefs and pledging faith in this country and only this country.
Really? Ever heard of anywhere called Little Italy, Chinatown, etc.? There's a town in the Hartford metro that still has its official documents in both English and Polish. I would argue that what has historically made America great is that, although it has been far from pretty at times, we have been able to absorb, rather than assimilate, new groups of immigrants. The stupidest thing about the whole anti-immigration movement as it now stands is that if it weren't for unskilled immigrants, the country would have barely grown in the 2000s. It was already the lowest rate of growth for the US as a whole since the 1930s.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 AM

27,262 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Really? Ever heard of anywhere called Little Italy, Chinatown, etc.? There's a town in the Hartford metro that still has its official documents in both English and Polish. I would argue that what has historically made America great is that, although it has been far from pretty at times, we have been able to absorb, rather than assimilate, new groups of immigrants. The stupidest thing about the whole anti-immigration movement as it now stands is that if it weren't for unskilled immigrants, the country would have barely grown in the 2000s. It was already the lowest rate of growth for the US as a whole since the 1930s.
It is much harder to move an elephant than it is to move a horse.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,335,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
. The stupidest thing about the whole anti-immigration movement as it now stands is that if it weren't for unskilled immigrants, the country would have barely grown in the 2000s. It was already the lowest rate of growth for the US as a whole since the 1930s.
The thing is we don't need unskilled labor, we need more entrepreneurs, there are not enough jobs for the population as it stands so I don't see how a massive gain in population would be good. I will say that our racist immigration system really needs to be fixed but that is another topic completely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.