Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 AM

291 posts, read 688,599 times

Advertisements

There are lots of great places in the United States and Canada that many people don't know about. What is one place that you know about that many people don't seem to know about? It can be a small city or small town here in the United States or Canada.

My pick would be Victoria, British Columbia. It should be well known but for some reason it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Spokane/North Idaho/Western MT.

Very few outside of the NW know anything about it.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Mine is more obscure but one of my favorite places to visit. It's Saugatuck, Michigan which is in SW Michigan on the shore of Lake Michigan and is a great place to get away from it all, especially in summer (fall is amazing though too). The town is unique in that it has held onto it's identity and has managed to keep the typical American chain stores and restaurants out. It has the feel of Cape Cod/New England without the prohibitive prices. Saugatuck has a large base of resident artists who bring in world perspectives to a small town in the Midwest that wouldn't ordinarily see such diversity. Saugatuck's beach (Oval Beach) was ranked the best freshwater beach and one of the best in the world. The Kalamazoo River flows through town and into Lake Michigan providing even more water for recreation. It's a very laidback place to the point where one can feel comfortable at any restaurant in town wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals. Saugatuck is very walkable and you can actually park your car on arrival and not use it again until you leave. The town even has a taxi-like shuttle service (call and they'll pick you up) which cost $1 per trip, which is great for trips to nearby wineries or the neighboring town of Douglas. You can stay in a wide assortment of B&Bs, motels (on the outskirts) or rent a vacation home in-town for the week which is my preferred choice. Saugatuck really is a hidden gem and if you want to get away from life (particularly a big city) and simplify, it's a great place to do it.

Welcome to Saugatuck and Douglas Michigan - The Official Visitor and Tourism Website

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Normally I wouldn't give out one of my favorite places that the rest of the US doesn't know about (I hate crowds.) But it seems Good Morning America is going to let the cat out of the bag anyway. Sleeping Bear Dunes. Northwest Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM

378 posts, read 707,161 times
The Palouse region of Eastern WA and NW Idaho.

I wouldn't call it "great", but I don't think NW Indiana deserves its ghetto rep. There's some interesting places in Gary, and the dunes are cool.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Kauai (especially the north shore) Just nicer and more peaceful than Maui and Oahu
West Virginia (especially around the new river gorge)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Southeast Virginia, namely Chesapeake, VA. A city of over 200k, very close to the beach in Virginia, low crime, solid public schools.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Metro Detroit. Most people hear Detroit and run screaming. The ring of suburban towns surounding the city actually are as nice as anyplace in the US. Most people who haven't been think the whole place is as bad as the city itself.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,007 times
The "driftless region" of northeast IA, southwestern WI and southeastern MN.

A nice trip is: From Decorah, IA go east to the Mississippi (stopping at Effigy Mounds) then down the west side of the River, hopping over at Dubuque to Galena, IL then up to Mineral Point, WI then up along the SW side of WI, then hopping over the Mississippi again to go west to Lanesboro MN.

Do this trip in mid October, stopping at the harvest stands for pumpkins and honey, and your heart will sing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.