U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM

29 posts, read 205,985 times

Advertisements

Would you say it's the central Midwest, California, the Pacific Northwest, the Southwest, or the Rockies? I mean it has to be one of those.

Or I guess it could be the accent used by northern implants into southern cities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 PM

442 posts, read 437,989 times
Depends on where the program is based/set.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,231,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Would you say it's the central Midwest, California, the Pacific Northwest, the Southwest, or the Rockies? I mean it has to be one of those.

Or I guess it could be the accent used by northern implants into southern cities as well.
All of those.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 PM

442 posts, read 437,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
All of those.
Exactly, though I hear St. Louis is often used as the gold standard accent for national news broadcasts.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,292,436 times
What kind of television?

National News? generally Californian or Midwestern (Great Plains states like Iowa/ Nebraska) sounding, even in markets where the majority of ppl may not even speak like that (ie the South or urban NE)

TV dramas? actors will usually sound very Californian or Midwestern (Great Plains states) unless they want to portray interesting stereotypes by using Southern or distinct NE accents

The SW has a slightly stronger sounding accent imo...the Pacific NW is kind of like a blend of California-and the Midwestern Great Plains accents (people in Seattle say "bag" more like in the Midwest than CA)...also within the Midwest definitely imo states like MO and OH and IN sound more "drawl-ly" so I dont think they're representative of the speech you hear on tv..

Last edited by f1000; 12-25-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Exactly, though I hear St. Louis is often used as the gold standard accent for national news broadcasts.
That's not true entirely. While it is true the generations after the Baby Boomers speak General American, that is not the case for prior generations. The native St. Louis accent has pronunciations that make it unique. The most distinct one is how "or" is pronounced. "Or" is pronounced "Ar." So for example, "forty"="farty". Also, "sundae" is pronounced "sundah". St. Louis is in the lower, not central Midwest...go about 100 miles to the south, or 'cross the Ohio River, and you're in the South. When I say the central Midwest, I'm thinking of Eastern Nebraska, Northwest Illinois, Iowa, and far Northern Missouri. The Lower Midwest is comprised of Kansas, most of Missouri, 2/3 of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio." Once you go east and hit the Great Lakes, the accent is "inland North." The Midwest is divisible into North Midland, South Midland, Inland North, and Upper Midwest. The North Midland is the accent in the Midwest most closely associated with General American...and St. Louis has been mimicking that accent for a long time now.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That's not true entirely. While it is true the generations after the Baby Boomers speak General American, that is not the case for prior generations. The native St. Louis accent has pronunciations that make it unique. The most distinct one is how "or" is pronounced. "Or" is pronounced "Ar." So for example, "forty"="farty". Also, "sundae" is pronounced "sundah". St. Louis is in the lower, not central Midwest...go about 100 miles to the south, or 'cross the Ohio River, and you're in the South. When I say the central Midwest, I'm thinking of Eastern Nebraska, Northwest Illinois, Iowa, and far Northern Missouri. The Lower Midwest is comprised of Kansas, most of Missouri, 2/3 of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio." Once you go east and hit the Great Lakes, the accent is "inland North." The Midwest is divisible into North Midland, South Midland, Inland North, and Upper Midwest. The North Midland is the accent in the Midwest most closely associated with General American...and St. Louis has been mimicking that accent for a long time now.
The younger generation has the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, which is not General American. You don't hear newspeople say "maaam" for "mom" like in St. Louis. Yes, St. Louis comes close to having a General American accent, but the influence from the NCVS kinda ruined that.

I think the accent the OP is talking about is found in this area:

General American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM

17,279 posts, read 19,566,600 times
It's just standard American accent - the kind of accent you will most typically hear in states like New York, California, Pennsylvania or Maryland.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The younger generation has the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, which is not General American. You don't hear newspeople say "maaam" for "mom" like in St. Louis. Yes, St. Louis comes close to having a General American accent, but the influence from the NCVS kinda ruined that.

I think the accent the OP is talking about is found in this area:

General American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, that's the region I was talking about. This map defines it pretty well. General American is also known as "North Midland." To the north of that lies two regions which exhibit some Canadian traits in their speech patterns: the Upper Midwest and inland north (along the Great Lakes), and to the south is South Midland, which features some southern traits. Below South Midland is Southern dialect, which can be subdivided into many different dialects IMO (Mountain South, Deep South, Piedmont, Tidewater, etc.)

Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM

506 posts, read 1,083,150 times
Central Iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or