U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,900,185 times

Advertisements

An enclosed mall is being built in the Bronx of New York City:

NEREJ - Prestige Properties unveils plans for $270 million The Mall Bay Plaza Shopping Center in the Bronx

While those outdoor malls commonly known as lifestyle centers are going up:

The Block at Pacific Commons - Fremont, California - YouTube

The Block at Pacific Commons | Facebook

newballpark.org / new A's ballpark

I just feel this lifestyle center trend is not working out. Enclosed malls are legit, the stores are cheaper, and they have a feeling of nostalgia.

The lifestyle centers are cheaper because of no AC, the stores tend to be more high end, and the look is different.

Sure in California where the weather is nice people are going nuts over downtowns adding high-end retailers and lifestyle centers opening up, but for the most part I don't go shopping to enjoy the weather and say "Oh damn, this downtown is swell because it has my Whole Foods, Barnes N Nobles, mall stores, and all in historic buildings!" And I also don't go to outdoor malls and say "Damn this is way better than being in an enclosed mall because the buildings are pretty and all the stores sell high-end junk!"

Yet most enclosed malls in a state are in CALIFORNIA! The 1960s and 1980s suburban boom produced many enclosed malls.

The only reason enclosed malls are going under is because people were given other options like downtown with mall stores, outdoor malls, and large big box centers. If one Wal-Mart and Home Depot and an enclosed mall were the only competition for a city or a town then malls would survive!

I wish the enclosed mall trend would come back. All of those hipster liberal kids would drop dead and just maybe, the 60s life will return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.