U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 AM

816 posts, read 1,586,807 times

Advertisements

For most people in urban environments, they sacrifice space for a place in the city...

What is your biggest annoyance about these? Lack of parking? No privacy? Neighbors? Garden units? In unit washer/dryer?

I think my biggest complaint about some of these older units is ... SMALL KITCHENS AND SMALL BATHROOMS!!!

I don't really care how big the bedroom, living room or patio areas are... The hardest thing for me to find is a spacious kitchen and bathroom. I am a big guy and love to cook, so trying to maneuver around a small kitchen sometimes really gets on my nerves. Also, by big, I mean really tall, so these small bathrooms with a tiny bath tub and barely enough space to turn around really annoy me.

For instance, I see places all the time .. including my own, I have a very large living room, and even an extra pretty large dining room, and a nice master bedroom with a walk in closet and a few other large closets... But wow... my bathroom is SO tiny and I think I've almost had it. Also seeing I like to cook and have a bunch of kitchen equipment, having the small kitchen sometimes is just a real pain... from low counters for cutting, to lack of space... UGH

So what are your city apartment annoyances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Not being able to have out of town visitors because parking is impossible to find.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM

551 posts, read 996,618 times
Man I live in a suburban 2200 sf home and I thought my kitchen is too small, but sometimes I go to my brothers who lives in a condo in the city and that is very small. I think the kitchen too is too small that it gets annoying you don't have enough places to put stuff there on the counter tops.

But my biggest pet peeve is that there is little noise insulation between units of housing. I am sure it is possible that if a gut renovation takes place, they can put soundproof material between the walls but I wouldn't like it if someone likes to play loud music and I can hear it.

Another one is that there isn't enough square footage overall which is needed for a big family and in the 50s I guess people were content with less space but now people need more because its more comfortable. But I guess that is apart of the experience that people will need to have if they live in the city is less space and privacy.

However for a single person, having a 600 sf apartment in the city in a highly walkable area is still great because no one is competing for space in your tiny apartment and you're relatively private but I'd still look for sound proofing.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Man I live in a suburban 2200 sf home and I thought my kitchen is too small, but sometimes I go to my brothers who lives in a condo in the city and that is very small. I think the kitchen too is too small that it gets annoying you don't have enough places to put stuff there on the counter tops.

But my biggest pet peeve is that there is little noise insulation between units of housing. I am sure it is possible that if a gut renovation takes place, they can put soundproof material between the walls but I wouldn't like it if someone likes to play loud music and I can hear it.

Another one is that there isn't enough square footage overall which is needed for a big family and in the 50s I guess people were content with less space but now people need more because its more comfortable. But I guess that is apart of the experience that people will need to have if they live in the city is less space and privacy.

However for a single person, having a 600 sf apartment in the city in a highly walkable area is still great because no one is competing for space in your tiny apartment and you're relatively private but I'd still look for sound proofing.

I've only had one place that had good sound proofing... Fortunately neighbors now aren't loud... but I've definitely heard some things I just didn't need to hear before.

I feel you for out of town guests... having them park 3 blocks away might not be a big deal for me, but I know they aren't often comfortable with leaving their car there.

I think I want my next place to be just a studio or loft w/ as few walls as possible. That way I can kind of rearrange or enlarge a small kitchen and make my sleeping area smaller. Still might have an issue with the bathroom though. Being tall and sitting on a mini cramped toilet in the corner or a small shower wears on you.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,756,357 times
I can't even park my car after 7 or 8pm in Houston. I don't even live in the loop...

Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 AM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times
I live in a 535 sf apt. My biggest peeve with it is not enough storage space and I dont even have a lot of stuff. My building is basically empty at night because it doubles as a commercial building so parking is no problem at night. During the day is another story.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,628,804 times
When I lived in an urban atmosphere, the biggest pet peeve was parking. If I got home past 2-3 pm, there were no spots on the street. Some people get by fine without cars, I am not one of them. My job requires me to travel all over the place and I like to take ski or camping trips so public transportation is not an option for me.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,542,402 times
I guess I'm the opposite of the OP. Some of my biggest apartment pet peeves are:

-Small bedrooms. And when I say small, I mean small. I've seen listings in areas of Chicago where the "bedroom" couldn't fit a bed bigger than a twin sized one. Some were so small that all you could fit in there was a twin bed. No night stand, nothing else. That's crazy. I haven't slept in a twin bed since I was about 5 years old! I need at least a full sized bed with room for a night stand, minimum.

-lack of closets and storage. I lived in a suburb of Boston for a brief time and the #1 thing I missed about that place was the sweet master bedroom with the massive closet. It was a true walk in closet w/ room to spare. Heck, it was bigger than some of the bedrooms mentioned in the first point! I'm a girl, I've got a lot of clothes, but I could do w/o a walk in closet. But I do need a closet. I've rented bedrooms w/ no closets and hated it. My current closet could fit about 3 average sized winter coats before becoming stuffed. Storage in general is often an issue for me, kitchen and bathroom included. I'm usually forced to put up shelving to compensate for lack of storage.

I can deal w/ a smaller bathroom and kitchen, but those two can kill an apartment deal for me.

Noise is always an issue, but for the past several years, I've made it a point of seeking out top floor units, so thankfully, that isn't much of a problem anymore.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,181,297 times
I have the opposite problem: most apartments seem unnecessarily large to me. I'd be happy with a 250-400 square foot studio. In fact, when my lease is up after January I'm hoping to find something like that.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
When I lived in an urban atmosphere, the biggest pet peeve was parking. If I got home past 2-3 pm, there were no spots on the street. Some people get by fine without cars, I am not one of them. My job requires me to travel all over the place and I like to take ski or camping trips so public transportation is not an option for me.
Good screen name for this post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or