U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,987,235 times

Advertisements

nothing much to view on the east coast? i guess that is why the hudson valley school of artist began there, as well as the other german schools. in fact, these very schools helped document the beautiful area of the pacific northwest, the lewis and clark expeditions, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM

135 posts, read 88,744 times
Quote:
Wow, as if you don't find twice as much of the self righteous, we are the best attitudes on the east coast? Please! I have spent time in New York, and they think they are the center of the world, and that anything west of the Appalacians either doesn't exist or does not matter. The funny thing with THEM is that there no substance to their chest thumping. What do they have to really brag about? As the poster you referred to mentioned, brown rivers, humidity, old cities that are brown and dirty, and on top of that I'll add a real lack of much impressive natural scenery. I have lived all over the country and am still fairly new to the PNW, but I can say from experience that this area blows away anything back east. And frankly I don't find much of that self righteous nature here you are talking about- people here live and let live, if they think this area is better than any other area they don't say much about it. Maybe because they don't want to look and sound as idiotic as that loud, arrogant bunch in the NE.
Wow. This would be like saying, out west is just Los Angeles.

The Northeast has a LOT of natural beauty. Start at the beautiful region of Maine and head south. There are a lot of beautiful areas, and it is not just cities and smog. I live in NJ, and obviously may be hard to believe, but it's gorgeous where I live. I'm not close to any major city. I think people need to stop being so narrow minded. There is beauty all across this country.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,016,810 times
The Pacific Northwest has about as different a feel to me being a Bay Area native as the Upper Midwest (places like Minnesota or Wisconsin). While Southern California is different from Northern its still California in its general feel. Oregon and Washington have a totally different vibe. In fact Seattle/Tacoma feel almost like a West Coast version of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Even the bulk of the housing stock was built around the same time and from the same architectural styles.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,856,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Sometimes I don't really feel like Oregon and Washington are really American. I mean, I know they are, but they seem so removed from the heart of the country back East and in the Midwest. And I think the culture is different too. People here aren't as passionate about sports, religion isn't a big deal, and people seem less patriotic on the whole, at least less than average. All things I'm fine with as I'm not passionate about any of those 3 things, and I think part of it has to do with where I'm from.

I think aside from Alaska and Hawaii, the PNW is the region that feels most culturally and physically detached from the core of America. It could almost just as well be Canadian imo.
I feel exactly the same way. I love Seattle, but it's very isolated and far away from the political pulse on the East Coast. Funny how much I miss some of that East Coast energy...

Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 AM

99 posts, read 198,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
The Pacific Northwest has about as different a feel to me being a Bay Area native as the Upper Midwest (places like Minnesota or Wisconsin). While Southern California is different from Northern its still California in its general feel. Oregon and Washington have a totally different vibe. In fact Seattle/Tacoma feel almost like a West Coast version of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Even the bulk of the housing stock was built around the same time and from the same architectural styles.

Plus, PNWers called soda 'pop'!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Part of the reason for that is historical. Tacoma and Seattle were the two western termini of the northernmost transcontinental railroads, Tacoma for the Northern Pacific and Seattle for the Great Northern. The eastern terminus for both railroads was St. Paul.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,924 times
I have briefly read through this thread, and I must say that arguing over this is somewhat silly and pointless.

The modern age has really made the world smaller, making it easy to stay connected with people thousands of miles away. I have friends in Germany, and though I only see them once every few years, with the internet, I keep just as much in contact with them as with friends who live in the same city as I. Also, living in Portland, I can be in Seattle by car or train in 3 hours, and can fly to any major US city in under 6 hours. If I wanted to, I could have breakfast at Grand Central Bakery here in SE Portland and have a late lunch or early dinner in downtown Manhattan.

All that said, there is a sense of being a little backwater here in Oregon. I have lived in Oregon and Washington my whole life (I am 29), and sometimes feel a little cut off from major cultural centers east of the Mississippi River. I have a deep interest in history, and sometimes I think it would be interesting to live in a Boston, NYC or even a Cincinnatti or St. Louis, a place with a little more history. However, Portland is a great town. It is not perfect, but it is a great place to live. Despite a rough economy, it is growing and the metro-area population (currently at 2.2M), is projected to top 3M over the next 20 years. People are moving here, and bring a lot of energy to the region. Also, the PacNW "corridor" of Eugene-Portland-Seattle-Vancouver, B.C. easily has 9-10M residents, and 3 international airports offering direct flights all over the world, plus some of the busiest ports in North America.

I may some day try living in another part of the country, but for now I like Portland.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,596,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Sometimes I don't really feel like Oregon and Washington are really American. I mean, I know they are, but they seem so removed from the heart of the country back East and in the Midwest. And I think the culture is different too. People here aren't as passionate about sports, religion isn't a big deal, and people seem less patriotic on the whole, at least less than average. All things I'm fine with as I'm not passionate about any of those 3 things, and I think part of it has to do with where I'm from.

I think aside from Alaska and Hawaii, the PNW is the region that feels most culturally and physically detached from the core of America. It could almost just as well be Canadian imo.
Yes. The Cascadia part of the PNW bills itself as "bio-geographically distinct." That's a mouthful. Very self-regarding, too. It's still the States, but a very different part of the States with a unique culture (fortunately for some, unfortunately for others). However, I would not consider it an extension of Canada. When you cross from the top end of WA state into British Columbia, you KNOW you're in a different country. It just FEELS different.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM

5,367 posts, read 12,972,569 times
I transfered to Seattle with Boeing from DC. It was great. Never did I ever feel isolated. I still have property in DC so I fly in and out of there 3 or 4 times a year. The east coast is not the center of the universe like many think. Its just another part of the United States. When I lived in Seattle I made it a point to discover everything about the pnw. I really had no desire to go back east when I lived in Seattle except to take care of business and occassionally see lifelong friends and family. I'm so glad I made that move. What's funny is my mom sold her DC home and moved to Seattle too!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
if you ever step out of the Pacific NW, you will find out that amusement parks, cheerleading & Nascar are simply not as big (I didnt say non-existent) compared to other parts of the country.
NASCAR isn't big where I live. NASCAR isn't big in all the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or