U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times

Advertisements

Seattle may have the best sports stadiums I've ever been in. Only in a dream world can you get a baseball and football stadium designed as good as the ones in Seattle, and in a great location too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,170,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Seattle may have the best sports stadiums I've ever been in. Only in a dream world can you get a baseball and football stadium designed as good as the ones in Seattle, and in a great location too.
Have you seen the arena plans? They are amazing. Fans in rings up in the ceiling is part of the design. The location is south of the Safeco Field garage. It will be built once Seattle steals away another city's team (Pistons?) or the NBA wises up and gives Seattle the expansion team it greatly deserves.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Have you seen the arena plans? They are amazing. Fans in rings up in the ceiling is part of the design. The location is south of the Safeco Field garage. It will be built once Seattle steals away another city's team (Pistons?) or the NBA wises up and gives Seattle the expansion team it greatly deserves.
You're talking about NBA? No, I have not. I will have to look that up. But I visited Seattle in 2008 and took tours of both Safeco and Qwest, and everything was just beautiful. I'm sure they can hit a trifecta.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,068,969 times
It amazes me how people suggest that any part of the US is isolated. The PNW is no more isolated than the other corners of the country. If I moved anywhere other than the Midwest (which I love), I would move to the PNW...Seattle, to be specific...love it.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,847,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
It's easy to lump Vancouver, BC into the same category of Seattle and Portland (due to location) but I don't think this is appropriate.

I've been to all three cities many times. Vancouver feels very different from the other two. Once you cross the Canadian border there's a completely different vibe. Vancouver feels more like Toronto than it feels like Seattle/Portland.
I agree. Though then again, I think Seattle and Portland are just as different from each other as they are from Vancouver. But Vancouver really is like a smaller Toronto. As strong as the Cascadian connection is, the connection between BC and the rest of Canada is stronger.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
It amazes me how people suggest that any part of the US is isolated. The PNW is no more isolated than the other corners of the country. If I moved anywhere other than the Midwest (which I love), I would move to the PNW...Seattle, to be specific...love it.
Yea its strange how its usually people in the PNW who think they're unique and the rest of the country is the same.
You don't see as many threads like this from people in the South, NE, Texas, Rocky Mountain States, California, Hawaii, Upper Midwest and the Great Plains.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,693,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I agree. Though then again, I think Seattle and Portland are just as different from each other as they are from Vancouver. But Vancouver really is like a smaller Toronto. As strong as the Cascadian connection is, the connection between BC and the rest of Canada is stronger.
I think thats up for interpretation. I here the opposite alot when people say Vancouver is way more like Seattle and Portland culturally and socially then the rest of Canada.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

350 posts, read 465,957 times
Default My experience is "yes"

I lived in Portland for 4 years, visitied Seattle and Vancouver alot. (I'm originally from Virginia and I've lived ALL over). I remember this strange sensation of being in a frontier outpost living there (even though they are sizable cities). I don't mean that in a negative way. It was actually a pleasant feeling. You kind of feel like you are away from the really big problems of the world. Just to the east of PDX and Seattle is the giant strato-volcanoes that make up the Cascade mountain range. On the other side of that is "high desert". Such an awesome thing how the geography turns from Jurassic Park wilderness to desert suddenly. If you look at a map of North America you get a sense (look at the road density) of the major differences in population of the northwest and especially the East Coast. Surrounding PDX and Seattle are HUGE areas of pristine wilderness. I really miss this and have struggled to find this on the East Coast. Skyline drive, Appalacians,etc you get a taste of this, but it isn't really in the same ballpark. In the west, it felt adventurous, like I was exploring new country filled with mountain lions, coyote and bear, even 40 minutes out of the city. Here on the east coast, even if I'm in an area that is supposedly wild, it just feels like I'm going to see a trailer or a "git off my land" sign at any point.. every tiny bit of land has been gobbled up.. and it feels like the wild life has been for the most part, mashed into oblivion. I remember reading that in the past, before air travel, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver were incredibly remote. They were almost a seperate country, apart from the US and Canada. They mainly traded with one another. I could swear I remember them saying they were considering creating a new country for the area called Cascadia (after the Cascade mountains). What's neat is even now, because of the geography and the distance to other big metro areas, this feeling of being in an isolated area still exists.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
It's easy to lump Vancouver, BC into the same category of Seattle and Portland (due to location) but I don't think this is appropriate.

I've been to all three cities many times. Vancouver feels very different from the other two. Once you cross the Canadian border there's a completely different vibe. Vancouver feels more like Toronto than it feels like Seattle/Portland.
And the vast, vast majority of world travel bloggers would agree with this. When you read what Europeans feel when going from Seattle to Vancouver, or the other way round, you will notice they write the exact same thing. They notice immediately a difference in Canada and Vancouver from Seattle and the US.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
The thread was started by a Canadian to stir up people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or