U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I lived in Portland for 4 years, visitied Seattle and Vancouver alot. (I'm originally from Virginia and I've lived ALL over). I remember this strange sensation of being in a frontier outpost living there (even though they are sizable cities). I don't mean that in a negative way. It was actually a pleasant feeling. You kind of feel like you are away from the really big problems of the world. Just to the east of PDX and Seattle is the giant strato-volcanoes that make up the Cascade mountain range. On the other side of that is "high desert". Such an awesome thing how the geography turns from Jurassic Park wilderness to desert suddenly. If you look at a map of North America you get a sense (look at the road density) of the major differences in population of the northwest and especially the East Coast. Surrounding PDX and Seattle are HUGE areas of pristine wilderness. I really miss this and have struggled to find this on the East Coast. Skyline drive, Appalacians,etc you get a taste of this, but it isn't really in the same ballpark. In the west, it felt adventurous, like I was exploring new country filled with mountain lions, coyote and bear, even 40 minutes out of the city. Here on the east coast, even if I'm in an area that is supposedly wild, it just feels like I'm going to see a trailer or a "git off my land" sign at any point.. every tiny bit of land has been gobbled up.. and it feels like the wild life has been for the most part, mashed into oblivion. I remember reading that in the past, before air travel, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver were incredibly remote. They were almost a seperate country, apart from the US and Canada. They mainly traded with one another. I could swear I remember them saying they were considering creating a new country for the area called Cascadia (after the Cascade mountains). What's neat is even now, because of the geography and the distance to other big metro areas, this feeling of being in an isolated area still exists.
Well many areas of the US have considered that. This country is very, very divided and can't seem to agree on anything to move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,390,278 times
My brother lives in Oregon, in a weird town called Eugene. I've flown out and visited him a few times.

I find the PNW to be kind of depressing, weather wise it was usually dark and rainy, also very cold (well cold to a Floridan lol). I found the people to be pretty laid back, but also kind of lazy (not speaking for everyone of course). Basically people just seemed like they would rather spend their days in coffee shops down town and just get high. Not really too concerned about jobs or anything.

I also met a lot of lesbians, and I found the PNW to be very atheistic, or to put it another way, too "secular". I didn't see very many churches or synagogues etc... And people kind of act like believing in God is kind of bad or silly out there, which as a person who believes in God, I found it kind of annoying. Hell the people there were all up in arms over a cross that was on a hill to mark the soldiers that died in a war just because it was a cross. The city also had weird priorities, such as spending money on maintaining parks over making sure that there are enough jail cells available to house criminals.

I also noticed that there were very few people of different ethnicities living there. It was most white, which I'm not saying that it makes the place bad, but it is something I noticed. I will say however the the PNW is the most racist part of the country I have ever been too, mainly referring to Portland. I saw a lot of skinheads and very little interracial couples, which was very strange to me as I'm from the south and I see interracial couples all the time and never saw a skin head there.

Overall I think the PNW has some good things about it. But I wouldn't want to live there. It seems kind of "out there" and disconnected from the rest of the country in both political and social attitudes.

Of course these are just general observations and they don't apply to everyone.

Last edited by FloridaPirate355; 08-13-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Also I should mention that PNW is very beautiful in terms of landscape. Very lush and green, vast rolling hills and forests and mountains. It's truly worth seeing.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,605,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I will say however the the PNW is the most racist part of the country I have ever been too, mainly referring to Portland. I saw a lot of skinheads and very little interracial couples, which was very strange to me as I'm from the south and I see interracial couples all the time and never saw a skin head there.
You're full of crap... I've lived in Portland over a decade and Oregon for fifteen years, and I can't remember seeing a racist skinhead outside of maybe a couple times. I know plenty of interracial couples(some of my closest friends--and I'm in such a relationship myself) and see them every almost any day in this town and no one give a crap--at all.

You didn't see many churches? Here's a search for churches near Eugene(which you claim to have been to)--everyone one of those pink dots is a church. Despite the reputation of being less religious in the Northwest, there's churches all over the place--as anyone who isn't Stevie Wonder and actually drives around this region with can attest to.

Churches near Eugene

Otherwise, you went to visit a liberal college town and were surprised that it was liberal and weird--wow, that's a shocker...

Last edited by Deezus; 08-13-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,736,244 times
Quote:
I found the PNW to be...too "secular".
Impossible.

Also, Florida is notorious for having a lot of skinhead activity. Skinheads allegedly training for "race war" arrested in Florida - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
fair enough - that makes sense. I could appreciate that. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. When you're living in Seattle, you (or at least I) don't feel isolated. You tend to get wrapped up in your life in Cascadia, and the rest of the country falls by the wayside in a way. I'm more concerned with what's happening in Vancouver, Portland, and Victoria than what is happening in somewhere like Atlanta. When you're in the bay or in LA/SD, it's very hard to feel isolated when you drive and drive and drive and you're still in the city. California alone has so much to offer that it could literally be its own little country, and you don't necessarily need to leave if you don't want to. I suppose that could lead to a provincial way of thinking. Anywho, all perspective and where you're from I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You're full of crap... I've lived in Portland over a decade and Oregon for fifteen years, and I can't remember seeing a racist skinhead outside of maybe a couple times. I know plenty of interracial couples(some of my closest friends--and I'm in such a relationship myself) and see them every almost any day in this town and no one give a crap--at all.

You didn't see many churches? Here's a search for churches near Eugene(which you claim to have been to)--everyone one of those pink dots is a church.

Churches near Eugene

Otherwise, you went to a liberal college town and were surprised that it was liberal and weird--wow, that's a shocker...
According to many sources, the PNW (especially Portland) has the highest concentration of skinheads than any other parts of the country. I can't link on my phone to other sources, but a quick Google search will show you it. Keep in mind I'm only going from my own experience from visiting there and by no means was I saying that it was the normal (I apologize if it sounded like I was). However I drove through a certain part of Portland Oregon and I saw shops and bars with swastika flags above, and some skin heads at the library downtown. They called themselves the "Volksfront". If you think I'm making this up than that's your business, I'm not here to convince you, just giving my experiences from when I was in Oregon.

I'm sure there are interracial couples in the PNW, I never said there wasn't. I said just not very many as compared to the south where I see them all the time. It was just kind of strange to me not seeing as diverse of a population as where I'm from. Same goes for the church comment.

Yes Eugene is very liberal. My brother goes to the University of Oregon and is now basically a brainwashed Marxist. But I don't care about the local politics of a place when I visit. I just try to enjoy the place I'm at and it's people.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,605,870 times
Quote:
According to many sources, the PNW (especially Portland) has the highest concentration of skinheads than any other parts of the country. I can't link on my phone to other sources, but a quick Google search will show you it. Keep in mind I'm only going from my own experience from visiting there and by no means was I saying that it was the normal (I apologize if it sounded like I was). However I drove through a certain part of Portland Oregon and I saw shops and bars with swastika flags above, and some skin heads at the library downtown. They called themselves the "Volksfront". If you think I'm making this up than that's your business, I'm not here to convince you, just giving my experiences from when I was in Oregon.

I'm sure there are interracial couples in the PNW, I never said there wasn't. I said just not very many as compared to the south where I see them all the time. It was just kind of strange to me not seeing as diverse of a population as where I'm from. Same goes for the church comment.

Yes Eugene is very liberal. My brother goes to the University of Oregon and is now basically a brainwashed Marxist. But I don't care about the local politics of a place when I visit. I just try to enjoy the place I'm at and it's people.
Oh please tell me where this Nazi district of Portland is... Because, honestly a bunch of stores with swastikas above them isn't going to attract any attention in very liberal Portland.

Portland had a famous news story in 1988 when racist skinheads beat up and killed an young Ethiopian man. It was a horrible incident that got national media attention and a famous book--however that was one incident 25 years ago that has some people still thinking that SE Portland still has a lot of skinheads. It does not. I can remember one event in the suburbs some years ago where a group of racist skins wanted to hold a rally and they were outnumbered at least 25 to 1 by anti-racist counter demonstrators. I think the last time, the racist skinheads didn't even show up and the counter demonstrators were all that was there. There is no local tolerance for that sort of thing. The largest skinhead group in Portland is specifically anti-racist skins.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, actually your state of Florida is much more of a center for white hate groups. And Jacksonville seems to have the most in the state.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Hate Map - Florida

I have a grandmother in Palm Coast, Florida--the racist stuff I heard people say there last year in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting was embarrassing. All the same, I'm not going to go on and judge all of Florida when I only visit about once a year and mostly go to the NE coast from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach or Miami. You've been to Oregon, what--once in your life...

Last edited by Deezus; 08-13-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Oh please tell me where this Nazi district of Portland is... Because, honestly a bunch of stores with swastikas above them isn't going to attract any attention in very liberal Portland.

Portland had a famous news story in 1988 when racist skinheads beat up and killed an young Ethiopian man. It was a horrible incident that got national media attention and a famous book--however that was one incident 25 years ago that has some people still thinking that SE Portland still has a lot of skinheads. It does not. I can remember one event in the suburbs some years ago where a group of racist skins wanted to hold a rally and they were outnumbered at least 20 to 1 by anti-racist counter demonstrators. I think the last time, the racist skinheads didn't even show up and the counter demonstrators were all that was there. There is no local tolerance for that sort of thing.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, actually your state of Florida is much more of a center for white hate groups. And Jacksonville seems to have the most in the state.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Hate Map - Florida

I have a grandmother in Palm Coast, Florida--the racist stuff I heard people say there last year in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting was embarrassing. All the same, I'm not going to go on and judge all of Florida when I only visit about once a year and mostly go to the NE coast from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach or Miami. You've been to Oregon, what--once in your life...
I've been to Oregon a total of 4 times. My brother lives in Eugene, right behind 5th Street Market. I have gone sporting events with him at Autzen and The Matthew Knight Arena (awesome arena btw).

I was not judging all of Oregon, just giving my experiences from being there. I am not interested in debating what state has more racists, just stating that I was shocked to see racism in Oregon where I had never personally seen it in Florida. Again it's personal experience.

Also just because a place is liberal doesn't mean there is no racism. Some of the most racist people I have met have been liberal Democrats.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,170,819 times
Quote:

When researching hate groups, it's best not to use a hate group itself for the data. SPLC = hate group.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are interracial couples in the PNW, I never said there wasn't. I said just not very many as compared to the south where I see them all the time. It was just kind of strange to me not seeing as diverse of a population as where I'm from.
Except the PNW has more interracial couples than most of the south, except for Florida. Maybe less white-black couples than the south, if only because there are far fewer black people for obvious historical reasons.

2010 Census Shows Interracial and Interethnic Married Couples Grew by 28 Percent over Decade - 2010 Census - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

Quote:
Same goes for the church comment.

And the south is more religious than much of the country. If you were from the north of much of the country, the difference wouldn't feel obvious. Eugene is laid back even for PNW standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or