U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Yes, I fell that the PNW is an isolated corner of the country. After Hawaii, Alaska and the Northern Rockies/Dakotas it's the most isolated region. You have to go out of your way to get there and most people are only after two cities, Portland and Seattle. If you're not going to one of those two places the odds of you ever venturing into that region are slim.

I agree with posters at the beginning of this thread that PNWeners seem to have more of an aloof attitude. I grew up in the Midwest and have spent the last 10 years in Montana. I can't say I have anything in common with my neighbors to the west. I'm not saying it's a bad place but I can't see myself ever feeling at home there. It is beautiful though.
I think when your considering the PNW you have to throw southern British Columbia into the mix. Vancouver really maintains a closer relationship with Seattle than does Portland. Victoria is right in there, too. My husband was raised in Seattle ( we're there right now, in fact, for his HS reunion), and he spent a great deal of time 'over the border'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM

4,213 posts, read 2,499,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think when your considering the PNW you have to throw southern British Columbia into the mix. Vancouver really maintains a closer relationship with Seattle than does Portland. Victoria is right in there, too. My husband was raised in Seattle ( we're there right now, in fact, for his HS reunion), and he spent a great deal of time 'over the border'.
I don't like to include Vancouver or BC in general because Canada is a different beast. They have more major cities along the border with the US than we have counter parts for so it's not as isolated for them (if that makes any sense). Take Calgary and Winnipeg for example. Their neighbors to the south are empty prairies with a few small towns dotted in. The north central US is like a big black hole. You have to cross that to get to the PNW. Not so in Canada.

From a perspective of Americans seeking a destination in the PNW, then yes, you could include Vancouver as another city in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or