U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 AM

816 posts, read 1,586,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
There are cultural differences, and IMO they extend into (Northern) Idaho and Montana. Regardless of politics, I've found that Northwesterners are the coldest and most reserved people in the country.

I'm not hating - I spent a fair share of my early years in the NW, and I fit that stereotype to a T - but I absolutely notice a difference when I go to the NW versus the Midwest or Eastern Seaboard.
I never found them cold, they were actually quite polite.. Reserved??? Most definitely! As somebody who is a bit of an introvert by nature, I definitely went into the extrovert side out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
I could actually use another thousand miles totally of totally undeveloped land to increase the "buffer" between the West and the East personally, but beggers cant be choosers. In the meantime, thank Goodness for the Rocky Mountains and Deserts and Great Basin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson66021
Even San Francisco, as nice as it seems for people who live there, could slide into the ocean and most Americans wouldn't notice.

Yeah, SF is far more valuable as a global city than it is to Americans and I personally prefer it that way. People in (ick)Appalachia and the Plains wouldnt notice but people in places like Hong Kong and Manila most certainly would.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,557,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Yeah, SF is far more valuable as a global city than it is to Americans and I personally prefer it that way. People in (ick)Appalachia and the Plains wouldnt notice but people in places like Hong Kong and Manila most certainly would.
I wouldn't argue with that. Also don't forget we aren't talking reality but rather how one "feels" about the NW if they don't live there.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
fair enough - that makes sense. I could appreciate that. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. When you're living in Seattle, you (or at least I) don't feel isolated. You tend to get wrapped up in your life in Cascadia, and the rest of the country falls by the wayside in a way. I'm more concerned with what's happening in Vancouver, Portland, and Victoria than what is happening in somewhere like Atlanta. When you're in the bay or in LA/SD, it's very hard to feel isolated when you drive and drive and drive and you're still in the city. California alone has so much to offer that it could literally be its own little country, and you don't necessarily need to leave if you don't want to. I suppose that could lead to a provincial way of thinking. Anywho, all perspective and where you're from I guess.
Exactly! That's why I think places that seem isolated to me now, like Atlanta or Rapid City or Memphis or El Paso or Salt Lake wouldn't feel that way if I actually lived there. lived there. Many people who never leave their cucoons of their home towns, whether they be LA, NYC, Houston, Des Moines, Spokane or whatever, perceive places they are unfamiliar with as isolated.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
I'd include the entire West Coast, not just the PNW. Even with the technology of the 20th and now, 21st Centuries, that "Great American Desert" along with the many mountain ranges still constitute a formidable gap and indeed, we are still a bit isolated "out here."

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 PM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'd include the entire West Coast, not just the PNW. Even with the technology of the 20th and now, 21st Centuries, that "Great American Desert" along with the many mountain ranges still constitute a formidable gap and indeed, we are still a bit isolated "out here."
And I personally wouldnt have it any other way.

With respect to you and I, we live near SF which has 12 Million people within the 100-mile radius. People in LA have about 20 Million people within the 100-mile radius. That doesnt seem very isolated to me?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 PM

605 posts, read 1,235,017 times
PNW is definitely isolated from the rest of the lower 48. All one has to do is look at a topographical map to see that.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,154,530 times
I've always thought of the west as isolated. Even with California, there are 37 million people there but look at the map. There's a lot of nothing, small places, and a few big places (no offense to anyone) until you get to the east where everything is so much more covered by settlement. I don't think it might feel isolated because there are so many people gathered in one spot but it's still a long way to the where the "rest of" America lives. Even among the populous places there's some good distance and empty/sparse space between the Northwest, California population centers and other places like Phoenix, Denver and Vegas.

I honestly think of the West as kind of separated from the world as a whole. It's a lot farther from the West across the Pacific than it is across the Atlantic from the East. Yes I know South America is below us, but the vast majority of the world lives in Eurasia, Africa. That's one reason I wouldn't like to live in the west permanently. I'd feel somewhat disconnected from America and the rest of the world to an extent.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 AM

281 posts, read 587,984 times
I like the irony of reading explanations how the PNW is so isolated while sitting at my computer here in Oregon. I especially enjoy the maps and descriptions that sound as if we live in some mystical wasteland and spend our time sticking berries up our noses.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,557,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
I like the irony of reading explanations how the PNW is so isolated while sitting at my computer here in Oregon. I especially enjoy the maps and descriptions that sound as if we live in some mystical wasteland and spend our time sticking berries up our noses.
If the shoe fits....... but you could also look at it as living in a magical Shangri-La
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or