U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,131,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
I like the irony of reading explanations how the PNW is so isolated while sitting at my computer here in Oregon. I especially enjoy the maps and descriptions that sound as if we live in some mystical wasteland and spend our time sticking berries up our noses.
People in the East have no idea how much we pity them. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 AM

656 posts, read 1,791,700 times
This thread really hits on something that I'm relating to now. I grew up in Kentucky/Ohio and lived there till I was 28. Then I moved out west and lived in Las Vegas, Portland, OR, and Alaska. I moved up and down the west coast (seasonal work) for about 7 years. Around this time last year I learned that my Grandpa would soon be passing and there were other family issues as well. I decided that I could move to Florida for a bit. I could get some classes done here but I could also be within a days drive of the fam. I didn't realize how much living out west had changed me and how different things between the east and west US really are. I noticed that here in the east people seem to be on more of a steady program and it's all according to age. In the first five minutes you meet someone they want to know your age, job, and your marital status. I remember when I had lived in Portland, Oregon for about two years and one of my best friends came to my Birthday dinner. He looked at me and said, "Oh yeah, how old are you?". It's not that anyone will never ask you how old you are in the west but it just seems to be a lot less of a concern. Also people seemed a lot less hung up on what someone's line of work or career were. I guess in general it just seems that the people of the east are way more traditional and up in everyone else's business. This kind of makes sense to me b/c the eastern US is a lot older than the western US. Also I noticed race seems to be bigger thing in the east and people love to bring up accents. I'm assuming it has a lot to do with the whole north and south ideology. When I lived in the west most of these things didn't ever seem to be as much of an issue or even brought up for the most part. I've handled living in Florida for a year now but I'm planning on moving back to Nevada within this year. After spending a significant amount of time living on both sides of the country I know what works for me and what doesn't and the east doesn't work for me. Have a good one fellow city data peeps.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
People in the East have no idea how much we pity them. LOL.
LOL! That's like saying Americans have no idea how much the rest of the world pities them.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
LOL! That's like saying Americans have no idea how much the rest of the world pities them.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRoxyHeart
I honestly think of the West as kind of separated from the world as a whole. It's a lot farther from the West across the Pacific than it is across the Atlantic from the East. Yes I know South America is below us, but the vast majority of the world lives in Eurasia, Africa.
Odd, since its widely acknowledged that the future of the world economy is what's happening in the Pacific rim.

In fact, even now, 11 of the World's Urban Agglomerations have GDPs that surpass $500 Billion and 6 of them are located on the Pacific rim:

1 Tokyo $1.765 Trillion
2 New York $1.460 Trillion
3 Los Angeles $881.2 Billion
4 Paris $740.0 Billion
5 Osaka $708.5 Billion
6 London $693.4 Billion
7 Seoul $608.3 Billion
8 Washington DC $575.0 Billion
9 San Francisco $544.9 Billion
10 Chicago $539.0 Billion
11 Nagoya $501.1 Billion

The days of Atlantic-centric hegemony of the world are largely over. China and Japan combine to form a $10 Trillion GDP. Brazil, India and Russia are allied to China, not the US or Europe. Not to mention Africa-China is the biggest foreign player in that continent these days.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
It's interesting reading this, to see just how people out east have a weird perception of what it's like out here in the PNW! I am from the Midwest, spending most of my life in South Dakota and Nebraska. Living in Lincoln, Nebraska I had only about 1 million people within a 60 mile radius. And to get to any population centers larger than that, I had to drive 3 hours to Kansas City, 8 hours to Denver, or just over 8 hours to Chicago. All of the areas in between were wide open emptiness, with just small towns and farms. So I have lived here in the Seattle area for the last 2 years, with the Puget Sound region having over 4 million people.... if I drive 3 hours south to Portland I am in a metro of just under 3 million, and if I go north about 2 hours to Vancouver, BC, I am in a metro of over 2 million. To me that is not isolation, that is far more people and activity than I ever could be near in much of the Midwest. Sure it's a long trip to fly from here to any other region, but then again it was a long trip from Nebraska to get to anywhere as well. I think really the only areas that are much closer to many other population centers are the ones east of the Mississippi River.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
I like the irony of reading explanations how the PNW is so isolated while sitting at my computer here in Oregon. I especially enjoy the maps and descriptions that sound as if we live in some mystical wasteland and spend our time sticking berries up our noses.
Well, it is pretty isolated considering how long it takes to get out to the Northwest. I mean from Independence, Missouri to the Oregon Territory takes a good 4-5 months over 2,000 miles of plains, mountains, and deserts. A lot of people lose oxen in early season blizzards crossing the South Pass or die of dysentery or rattlesnake bites along the way. There is also a lot of mighty rivers to ford--or you can try caulking your wagon to cross if there isn't a friendly Indian tribe or ferry nearby. Alternatively it takes a good several months with a sturdy ship and crew to round Cape Horn and sail up the gold diggings up there in Alta California. Hell, even the Pony Express still takes about 10 days to get the latest news back east across the country--at least until they get that whole transcontinental telegraph contraption figured out...

I mean some day there might be a faster way to travel or communicate across long distances--but it's not like I can just get on some magical metal tube that's catapulted across the sky at 30,000 feet elevation that would get me from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles in two hours, Chicago in four hours, or New York City in five and half hours... Hopefully though, maybe someday us rustic and isolated folks out here in the Northwest will have quicker ways to travel to civilized places of culture like Dayton, Ohio, Camden, New Jersey, and Macon, Georgia.

Last edited by Deezus; 12-29-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well it is pretty isolated considering how long it takes to get out to the Northwest. I mean from Independence, Missouri to the Oregon territory takes a good 4-5 months over 2,000 miles of plains, mountains, and deserts. A lot of people lose oxen in early season blizzards crossing the South Pass or die of dysentery or rattlesnake bites along the way. There is also a lot of rivers to ford--or you can try caulking your wagon to cross if there isn't a friendly Indian tribe or ferry nearby. Alternatively it takes a good several months on a sturdy ship and crew to round Cape Horn and sail up the gold diggings up there in Alta California. Hell, even the Pony Express still takes about 10 days to get the latest news back east across the country--at least until they get that whole transcontinental telegraph contraption figured out...

I mean some day there might be a faster way to travel someday or communicate across long distances--but it's not like I can just get on some magical metal tube that's catapulted across the sky at 30,000 feet elevation that would get me from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles in over two hours, Chicago in four hours, or New York City in five and half hours... Hopefully though, maybe someday us rustic and isolated folks out here in the Northwest will have quicker ways to travel to civilized places of culture like Dayton, Ohio, Camden, New Jersey, and Macon, Georgia.
ROTFLMAO.

Metal tubes in the sky? Ha! Dream on.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,178,928 times
Do any of you remember reading the 1970s books Ecotopia and Ecotopia Emerging by Callenbach?

From the blurb on the front cover of Ecotopia: "1999. America's Northwest has seceded from the United States. Now, embark on an astonishing voyage to a world of infinite possibilities!"

From the blurb on the back cover (please allow this, moderator!) "We are in the year 1999. Since 1980, Ecotopia has been isolated, Chinese fashion. Now, finally, an official vistor is admitted. He is Will Weston, crack investigative reporter. Like a modern Gulliver, Will is sometimes horrified, sometimes overwhelmed by strange practices and sensual encounters. He discovers a nation which, in lucky circumstances, has taken charge of it's own biological destiny. As Will becomes deeply involved with a sexually forthright Ecotopian woman, ritual war games and female -dominated 'stable state' government, his confusion of values intensifies and reaches a startling climax. The novel of your future - ECOTOPIA!"

Whew, can't wait until 1999 when the isolated PNW secedes!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,586,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Sure it's a long trip to fly from here to any other region
Which is the entire premise of the thread...

Not that you can go to Portland or Vancouver.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Do any of you remember reading the 1970s books Ecotopia and Ecotopia Emerging by Callenbach?

From the blurb on the front cover of Ecotopia: "1999. America's Northwest has seceded from the United States. Now, embark on an astonishing voyage to a world of infinite possibilities!"

From the blurb on the back cover (please allow this, moderator!) "We are in the year 1999. Since 1980, Ecotopia has been isolated, Chinese fashion. Now, finally, an official vistor is admitted. He is Will Weston, crack investigative reporter. Like a modern Gulliver, Will is sometimes horrified, sometimes overwhelmed by strange practices and sensual encounters. He discovers a nation which, in lucky circumstances, has taken charge of it's own biological destiny. As Will becomes deeply involved with a sexually forthright Ecotopian woman, ritual war games and female -dominated 'stable state' government, his confusion of values intensifies and reaches a startling climax. The novel of your future - ECOTOPIA!"

Whew, can't wait until 1999 when the isolated PNW secedes!
I can't wait to meet some of those sexually forthright and liberated Ecotopian women! They'll keep ya warm through the cold and grey Pacific NW winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or