U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM

281 posts, read 587,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, it is pretty isolated considering how long it takes to get out to the Northwest.
Indeed, and while scientists are still unable to photograph the pacific northwest, this artistic rendition seems to indicate the inhabitants exist in only two dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Pacific Northwest seem isolated from the rest of the United States?-6a00d8341c630a53ef01116856cf7a970c-800wi.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,667,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Which is the entire premise of the thread...

Not that you can go to Portland or Vancouver.

What does that mean "not that you can go to Portland or Vancouver"? We can go there any time. My point was that it was also a very long flight to get ANYWHERE from the midwest as well- at least out here it's a short flight to places like the California cities, so in a way this area is closer to some of the country's "action" than the Midwest is.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,856,125 times
I love traveling to the PNW. Yes, it's different...but that doesn't make it "not like America." Every region is pretty different from each other in one way or another. It's just another culture that makes up America. It's more like America than it is like Canada.

I haven't been there...but if I were to pick an area (or a state) that seemed isolated and not really like the rest of the country...I'd probably pick Alaska. They seem to do their own thing. Hawai'i is pretty different, too (I've actually been there).

Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,153,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL

Odd, since its widely acknowledged that the future of the world economy is what's happening in the Pacific rim.

In fact, even now, 11 of the World's Urban Agglomerations have GDPs that surpass $500 Billion and 6 of them are located on the Pacific rim:

1 Tokyo $1.765 Trillion
2 New York $1.460 Trillion
3 Los Angeles $881.2 Billion
4 Paris $740.0 Billion
5 Osaka $708.5 Billion
6 London $693.4 Billion
7 Seoul $608.3 Billion
8 Washington DC $575.0 Billion
9 San Francisco $544.9 Billion
10 Chicago $539.0 Billion
11 Nagoya $501.1 Billion

The days of Atlantic-centric hegemony of the world are largely over. China and Japan combine to form a $10 Trillion GDP. Brazil, India and Russia are allied to China, not the US or Europe. Not to mention Africa-China is the biggest foreign player in that continent these days.
I get all that, I was just talking about physical distance and a "feeling" or a sense. Not something that everyone has to feel, just something I do.

Besides, 7 of those regions are in America+Europe, 5 if you take out LA and SF. And the EU has a higher GDP than the US, combined I think they're at or almost at 30$ trillion. Asia has at least a little way to go before owning the world yet. More seriously, rather than having America turn all it's attention to the Pacific, it should focus more on it's good position in between. Also I wouldn't count on too much political cooperation between the BRICS anytime in the future, they make a far better group on paper than in reality.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I get all that, I was just talking about physical distance and a "feeling" or a sense. Not something that everyone has to feel, just something I do.

Besides, 7 of those regions are in America+Europe, 5 if you take out LA and SF. And the EU has a higher GDP than the US, combined I think they're at or almost at 30$ trillion. Asia has at least a little way to go before owning the world yet. More seriously, rather than having America turn all it's attention to the Pacific, it should focus more on it's good position in between. Also I wouldn't count on too much political cooperation between the BRICS anytime in the future, they make a far better group on paper than in reality.
$30 Trillion doesnt seem like that much anymore.

Pacific Rim states & BRICS nations 2010 GDP: $26.260 Trillion
CIA & US Commerce Dept
CIA & US Commerce Dept
China $5.878 Trillion
Japan $5.459 Trillion
US Pacific States $2.570 Trillion
Brazil $2.090 Trillion
India $1.538 Trillion
Russia $1.465 Trillion
Australia $1.236 Trillion
Mexico $1.039 Trillion
South Korea $1.007 Trillion
Indonesia $706.7 Billion
Taiwan $430.6 Billion
South Africa $357.3 Billion
Thailand $318.9 Billion
Colombia $285.5 Billion
Malaysia $238.0 Billion
Hong Kong $225.0 Billion
Singapore $222.7 Billion
Chile $203.3 Billion
Philippines $188.7 Billion
British Columbia $170.0 Billion
Peru $152.8 Billion
New Zealand $140.4 Billion
Bangladesh $104.9 Billion
Vietnam $103.6 Billion
Equador $58.9 Billion
Guatemala $41.4 Billion
Costa Rica $35.7 Billion

Last edited by 18Montclair; 12-29-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

506 posts, read 1,081,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Indeed, and while scientists are still unable to photograph the pacific northwest, this artistic rendition seems to indicate the inhabitants exist in only two dimensions.
If we're talking about the PNW, the Thule version is a bit more appropriate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
What does that mean "not that you can go to Portland or Vancouver"? We can go there any time. My point was that it was also a very long flight to get ANYWHERE from the midwest as well- at least out here it's a short flight to places like the California cities, so in a way this area is closer to some of the country's "action" than the Midwest is.
Urban Areas

Omaha's situation is different from Indianapolis, just as Seattle is different from Missoula.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,605,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I love traveling to the PNW. Yes, it's different...but that doesn't make it "not like America." Every region is pretty different from each other in one way or another. It's just another culture that makes up America. It's more like America than it is like Canada.

I haven't been there...but if I were to pick an area (or a state) that seemed isolated and not really like the rest of the country...I'd probably pick Alaska. They seem to do their own thing. Hawai'i is pretty different, too (I've actually been there).
Yeah, Alaska and Hawaii are so isolated that it takes 3-6 hours to fly(or for Alaska, four days of non-stop driving through Canada) just to get to the "isolated" Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM

420 posts, read 880,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, it is pretty isolated considering how long it takes to get out to the Northwest. I mean from Independence, Missouri to the Oregon Territory takes a good 4-5 months over 2,000 miles of plains, mountains, and deserts. A lot of people lose oxen in early season blizzards crossing the South Pass or die of dysentery or rattlesnake bites along the way. There is also a lot of mighty rivers to ford--or you can try caulking your wagon to cross if there isn't a friendly Indian tribe or ferry nearby. Alternatively it takes a good several months with a sturdy ship and crew to round Cape Horn and sail up the gold diggings up there in Alta California. Hell, even the Pony Express still takes about 10 days to get the latest news back east across the country--at least until they get that whole transcontinental telegraph contraption figured out...

I mean some day there might be a faster way to travel or communicate across long distances--but it's not like I can just get on some magical metal tube that's catapulted across the sky at 30,000 feet elevation that would get me from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles in two hours, Chicago in four hours, or New York City in five and half hours... Hopefully though, maybe someday us rustic and isolated folks out here in the Northwest will have quicker ways to travel to civilized places of culture like Dayton, Ohio, Camden, New Jersey, and Macon, Georgia.
this made my day

Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM

420 posts, read 880,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Which is the entire premise of the thread...

Not that you can go to Portland or Vancouver.
I assume you meant "not that you CAN'T go to Portland or Vancouver".

I most certainly do, frequently. It's an easy 2.5 hour drive to either, with much development in between in both directions.

Seattle's CSA stretches almost 100 miles n/s, and either way you end up not far from another major metro. Between the three metros we're at about 10 million people, so while it's no BosWash, it is not BFE USA either.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,153,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
$30 Trillion doesnt seem like that much anymore.

Pacific Rim states & BRICS nations 2010 GDP: $26.260 Trillion
CIA & US Commerce Dept
CIA & US Commerce Dept
China $5.878 Trillion
Japan $5.459 Trillion
US Pacific States $2.570 Trillion
Brazil $2.090 Trillion
India $1.538 Trillion
Russia $1.465 Trillion
Australia $1.236 Trillion
Mexico $1.039 Trillion
South Korea $1.007 Trillion
Indonesia $706.7 Billion
Taiwan $430.6 Billion
South Africa $357.3 Billion
Thailand $318.9 Billion
Colombia $285.5 Billion
Malaysia $238.0 Billion
Hong Kong $225.0 Billion
Singapore $222.7 Billion
Chile $203.3 Billion
Philippines $188.7 Billion
British Columbia $170.0 Billion
Peru $152.8 Billion
New Zealand $140.4 Billion
Bangladesh $104.9 Billion
Vietnam $103.6 Billion
Equador $58.9 Billion
Guatemala $41.4 Billion
Costa Rica $35.7 Billion
That's a bit of an odd list, no need to separate the Pacific US states from the US after all. Going down that route the Atlantic EC states have more than twice that and a GDP similar to Japan and not far behind China and that's if you don't want to count Gulf Coast as Atlantic. Either way, the US as a nation benefits, or should, when any of our regions do well.

Brazil and South Africa are pretty far removed from the Pacific and the majority of Russia's wealth lies in European Russia. But the main point is, South Africa and all these countries from Asia, South and Central America hardly make any kind of political or economic block. They're nowhere near as integrated and closely allied as the EU and the US, economically, politically, and militarily as well. I'm not making predictions on the future or belittling Asia and other rising economies, just saying that for now the EU and the US aren't hollow economic powers or paper tigers by any means. I'm not advocating for Atlantic hegemony at all if you misunderstood me, we're moving towards a multi-polar world very fast, or some might say we're already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or