Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Yes, I fell that the PNW is an isolated corner of the country. After Hawaii, Alaska and the Northern Rockies/Dakotas it's the most isolated region. You have to go out of your way to get there and most people are only after two cities, Portland and Seattle. If you're not going to one of those two places the odds of you ever venturing into that region are slim.

I agree with posters at the beginning of this thread that PNWeners seem to have more of an aloof attitude. I grew up in the Midwest and have spent the last 10 years in Montana. I can't say I have anything in common with my neighbors to the west. I'm not saying it's a bad place but I can't see myself ever feeling at home there. It is beautiful though.
I think when your considering the PNW you have to throw southern British Columbia into the mix. Vancouver really maintains a closer relationship with Seattle than does Portland. Victoria is right in there, too. My husband was raised in Seattle ( we're there right now, in fact, for his HS reunion), and he spent a great deal of time 'over the border'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think when your considering the PNW you have to throw southern British Columbia into the mix. Vancouver really maintains a closer relationship with Seattle than does Portland. Victoria is right in there, too. My husband was raised in Seattle ( we're there right now, in fact, for his HS reunion), and he spent a great deal of time 'over the border'.
I don't like to include Vancouver or BC in general because Canada is a different beast. They have more major cities along the border with the US than we have counter parts for so it's not as isolated for them (if that makes any sense). Take Calgary and Winnipeg for example. Their neighbors to the south are empty prairies with a few small towns dotted in. The north central US is like a big black hole. You have to cross that to get to the PNW. Not so in Canada.

From a perspective of Americans seeking a destination in the PNW, then yes, you could include Vancouver as another city in the region.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
The Pacific Northwest has the culture and overall personality most compatible with my own, imo. It feels like the most individualistic part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post

California is somewhat isolated from the rest of the country, but Pac NW even more so... LA and SD alone have 22 million people.
California is also isolated from much of the country like the PNW but it plays a major role in the country's culture. Love of sports, religions, and patriotism seems to be in line with the rest of the country. So I don't think it's the distance. The PNW, on the other hand, seems to attract a lot of misfits (maybe that's why I seem to have an affinity for it).. perhaps the terminus of the Oregon Trail has something to do with it, with the descendants of misfits who migrated west over a century ago?

Old 04-12-2022, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Pre-Covid we would drive to Portland and to Vancouver, B.C. several times every year. Portland is 186 miles down I-5, Vancouver is closer, 153 miles, and about 1/2 hour less driving time. I definitely consider Vancouver to be more like Seattle than Portland. The population of the Seattle area consists of immigrants from other states and countries, there are very few native Washingtonians here now. The last I heard only 30% of Seattle residents were born in the state. Of the few I know, none are from Seattle, they are mostly from Eastern Washington, such as Spokane, Moses Lake, and Walla Walla. In our neighborhood, the closest neighbors that we are familiar with are from:

California (4)
India (5)
Tunisia
China (2)
Arizona

Old 04-12-2022, 12:45 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
^we're from western Oregon (65 years). DS (36) born in Oregon but left for college and settled in western Washington (14 years) after college. Do we count as natives?

Old 04-12-2022, 04:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
In the current five-year ACS, Washington state was 46.6% born in-state.

King County, however, was 39.4%, and the newer and poorer parts of the Eastside might both be particularly international.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:47 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
No, I don’t feel that’s at at all.

I feel more that way about New England. Much more.

PNW attracts a lot of native born Americans and sets the tone for American liberalism. As the poster before me said-most people from WA aren’t even from WA

Old 04-12-2022, 07:31 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No, I don’t feel that’s at at all.

I feel more that way about New England. Much more.

PNW attracts a lot of native born Americans and sets the tone for American liberalism. As the poster before me said-most people from WA aren’t even from WA
Yep. The PNW is physically isolated, culturally I think it's pretty average. Much of western Washington and Oregon outside of Seattle and Portland actually feels Midwestern to me (farms, American flags everywhere, huge truck stops, decaying industry).

Old 04-14-2022, 12:05 AM

158 posts, read 168,146 times
Definitley have a little bit of different vibe you don't see anywhere else. It's theorized that this reason is how grunge music was born. This is also Antifa's homeland and some of the most radical politicians you will ever see in this part of country. A police abolitionist (!) just narrowly lost the Seattle DA race last November.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Culturally PNW feels less isolated than the Midwest. I mean Costco, Starbucks, Nordstrom, REI, Redfin, Zillow, MSFT and Amazon are based here. It can't be that out of touch with the pulse of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.