Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,089,790 times

Advertisements

I have friends from inland CA who tell me they put more effort in coordinating their clothing when they visit LA County because they do not want to appear as "hillibillies"...!

Sometimes when I people watch at the Grove, my mind wanders as to guessing if a person is from a big city or visiting from a small town, based on their taste in clothing/ hairstyles etc

Generally, people in the big cities (metro 5 million+) are more likely to care about their dressing styles/ fashions...so does this notion influence those from smaller places regarding their appearance, when they visit their regional "big city"?

PS..there is a big difference not only between regional styles but certainly between City and Country (smaller town/ city)styles- one can simply people-watch in a big city downtown mall vs a small city mall to note such differences

Last edited by f1000; 12-27-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 AM

562 posts, read 983,050 times
Maybe I am a dead giveaway but when I take the train to Chicago from my hometown of Galesburg. I don't dress any differently. :P

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times
yeah when i used to live in a small town, when i went to the big city i'd put on my nice walmart clothes

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
yes, if I go to Wal-Mart in my hometown, I don't even bother dressing up, and I'll still be the best dressed there, ha. But when I'm in Memphis I always try to look more presentable.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,062,103 times
I can understand this comment. I always dress fairly nice (either business casual or jeans and a nice shirt) when I go out (I live in the burbs) but whenever I head to Center City Philadelphia I always feel underdressed at restaurants. I also feel like I should wear more black and less khaki in the city.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I have friends from inland CA who tell me they put more effort in coordinating their clothing when they visit LA County because they do not want to appear as "hillibillies"...!

Sometimes when I people watch at the Grove, my mind wanders as to guessing if a person is from a big city or visiting from a small town, based on their taste in clothing/ hairstyles etc

Generally, people in the big cities (metro 5 million+) are more likely to care about their dressing styles/ fashions...so does this notion influence those from smaller places regarding their appearance, when they visit their regional "big city"?

PS..there is a big difference not only between regional styles but certainly between City and Country (smaller town/ city)styles- one can simply people-watch in a big city downtown mall vs a small city mall to note such differences
I'm from south Florida and although there is a population of people that are laid back and dress in beach-wear year round, alot of people dress up too. I tend to do it in big cities as well. I would never go to Miami or NYC looking messy or in laid-back clothing. I'm not a person that cares about keeping up with the joneses but if everyone else is looking top-notch, I'm not gonna be one of those people that rocks the boat. I'm going to try look my best as well. But I've heard it's a lot different on the west coast. Everyone dresses really laid-back or hipster. I heard even business people dress laid back. So I think it's more a regional thing.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,089,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I also feel like I should wear more black and less khaki in the city.
"Black" is definitely the color-of-choice in the Northern big cities (San Francisco too in the colder months)... I do notice as you get into the smaller towns/ cities, or the outlying suburbs, there is more open-ness to other/ brighter colors- it may or may not have something to do with concern regarding color-coordination..

There are lots of well-dressed types in the big Southern cities though who are able to wear bright bold colors (all year) and pull a very nice look, thus I must say- Southerners can look very glamorous (women) and dapper (the men)- I love those Southern gentlemen with their ironed pastel-colored dress-shirts and polos & khakis

Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 AM

546 posts, read 1,171,082 times
No I don't dress up to go into the city, I still dress up in a T-shirt and loose jeans and sports shoes like I typically do in "Any-Suburb, USA". It was only my brother who told me that I need to dress up as a "hipster" otherwise I'd stand out as a sore thumb and the New Yorkers would totally spot me as an outsider. He told me that when we went to NYC.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
I always step out clean.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I always step out clean.
Lol. Yes, black folks are gonna get jazzed up, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.