U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I think that is very unusual. I have knowledge of several HOA's around the country and they are all very strict with enforcement. I never knew one that wasn't.
Ours has rules about what can be kept on a porch and it is never enforced.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,307,106 times
It's a personal choice, but I'd never choose one. The last thing I feel like doing is adding another layer of government to my life. I prefer freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,565,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ours has rules about what can be kept on a porch and it is never enforced.
If the rules aren't enforced then the HOA gives up it's authority and ceases to exist. IMO There should be a provision in the bylaws to abolish any rule people don't like (by vote) instead of just ignoring it. Who decides which rules it's ok to ignore?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM

121 posts, read 388,048 times
Both if the hoa's I've been in don't mow my lawn. We have the option to pay have the hoas lawn people do it. Be nice. I'll prob pay for some one to though
Perks are not having to deal with neighbors ugliness and trashy yard. It's the worst to have a neighbor that doesn't give a crap about their yard or home. Keeps my property value up and easier to sell. Who wants to live next to that?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM

121 posts, read 388,048 times
Some rules are extreme. So aren't. Varies so much from one to the next. Some are so dis/un functional some are too overbearing. I love

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If the rules aren't enforced then the HOA gives up it's authority and ceases to exist. IMO There should be a provision in the bylaws to abolish any rule people don't like (by vote) instead of just ignoring it. Who decides which rules it's ok to ignore?
I don't know, but as long as the shovelers show up after a snowstorm, I'm a happy camper!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Recently, my city enacted laws covering what can be kept outdoors on a property and inside a fence that are stricter than the deed restrictions enforced by my HOA.

I've served on the board of my HOA, so I'm well aware of the rules in the deed restrictions. The management company rep and I are on a first-name basis. If I do something that violates the rules for some reason, I send her an email and tell her about it before any neighbors complain. OTOH people who don't pay attention to the rules and keep the HOA at arm's length are more likely to get a nastygram in the mail when they violate a rule they aren't aware of. If you're in an HOA, it is worth your while to get involved and it will make your time in that neighborhood or complex more pleasant. The HOA isn't out to get you. It's just there to collect the dues and enforce the rules.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
They're good for broad rules, but they totally suck when people start making up 100 rules about EVERYTHING from color of houses to specifics on trees and mowing. Some people have way too much time on their hands and get obsessed with the HOA. That's when it tends to get annoying and useless.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM

35,251 posts, read 32,206,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They're good for broad rules, but they totally suck when people start making up 100 rules about EVERYTHING from color of houses to specifics on trees and mowing. Some people have way too much time on their hands and get obsessed with the HOA. That's when it tends to get annoying and useless.
I despise HOAs for that reason. There will always be at least one person with no life except making sure they are pestering everyone else.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
MY HOA does not have fines for any violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.