U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 PM

121 posts, read 387,286 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are on opposite sides.
I think an HOA protects my investment and does a lot to prevent "issues" between neighbors.
He thinks it's all BS and just takes his rights away.
The 1st hoa we bought in was almost non-existent. Very few bylaws. It functioned very poorly and had no perks. The fees went to maintain a drainage basin. We couldn't ever get votes to progress. Easements weren't being developed debates on giving shared land to homeowners. A mess.
The hoa we are in now seems more restrictive, yet many more amenities. Super planned and know what they are doing. Even DH is sold on this HOA.

What's your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
I personally would never buy a property in one. If I want weeds to grow, or to paint my house purple, I want to be able to have that right.

However, we currently rent a HOA-controlled condo, and it sure is nice to not have to mow lawns or shovel snow.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,950,274 times
I like them but at the same time the user above pointed out some great issues I hadn't thought clearly about. I appreciate HOAs because they take care of things I don't have to like security and etc. But I would like the freedom to paint my house if I wanted to or something else. And in most HOA communities, you can't do that. It's a catch-22 for me.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 AM

551 posts, read 996,339 times
I think HOAs for any single family detached homes are horrible and I would never buy one of them. The point of having a SFDH is so that you would own the property and you do whatever you want with it, and it is unfair if you cannot do what you want with your property such as paint it, put lawn gnomes on it, decorate your house wildly during Christmas or Halloween or anything else barring something that can actually endanger yourself or others.

Althought I do like the idea of having someone taking care of the lawn for me, or never having to mow the lawn. However, that still isn't enough to offset the loss of freedom you have from being in an HOA-controlled community so I'd never buy a SFDH that is apart of any HOA.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,867,124 times
A few years ago, I purchased a condo (my first home purchase) governed by one of the worst HOA's in the city. Unfortunately, I had no idea what an HOA was at the time.

Sure, I appreciated that the lawns were mowed and the grounds were maintained. What I didn't appreciate, was that despite dues of $285 PER MONTH, they still couldn't afford to maintain the pool and spa. Parking was ridiculous. You got your one-car garage plus one adjacent space which required a sticker. For a short time, there were three of us in the condo and despite adequate parking spaces, I was actually required to park off-site to avoid towing. Yet someone was permitted to park their big rig there overnight taking up 8 spaces at a time.

I received a written warning for leaving my broom on my porch overnight. I received a written warning about a potted plant that was felt to be too close to the edge of my 2nd story deck. After my ARM adjusted and doubled my mortage, it became too much for me to manage in addition to the HOA dues. A loan modification was not approved. I attempted to sell the condo via short sale, two separate buyers were under contract when they were given the CC&Rs to review. Both pulled their contracts on the condo stating that the HOA was too invasive and I ended up losing it to foreclosure. Until it went to auction, I was required to pay the monthly dues to avoid a lien on the property (12 months after I left the condo). Once sold at auction, I battled with the HOA for 3 months to finally get them to acknowledge the condo was no longer under my ownership and to stop threatening me with legal action.

I currently rent a home with an HOA that deals directly with my landlord. Living next door to one of the board members means we have to pull every weed that pops up in the front yard immediately. If we lived on another block, it may not be such a big deal but our neighbor hates us for some reason.

So after all this, no, I will not live in an HOA-governed community again. However, my grandmother lives in a community where she pays about $40 quarterly to help maintain a community pool and a rec room but that is it. I would possibly consider a situation like that.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,556,521 times
I don't feel strongly one way or the other but I'm a little closer to love than hate. They do provide a benefit and places with them generally are better off for it. And no one forces you to buy into one. You can go elsewhere. Also it's nice to have someone else to protect you from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If I want weeds to grow, or to paint my house purple, I want to be able to have that right.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM

5,543 posts, read 6,976,071 times
Most HOAs are basically useless. My HOA rules specifically state no swimming pools are allowed. Guess what - my neighbor 2 doors down has a swimming pool.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,556,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Most HOAs are basically useless. My HOA rules specifically state no swimming pools are allowed. Guess what - my neighbor 2 doors down has a swimming pool.
I think that is very unusual. I have knowledge of several HOA's around the country and they are all very strict with enforcement. I never knew one that wasn't.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM

449 posts, read 818,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I like them but at the same time the user above pointed out some great issues I hadn't thought clearly about. I appreciate HOAs because they take care of things I don't have to like security and etc. But I would like the freedom to paint my house if I wanted to or something else. And in most HOA communities, you can't do that. It's a catch-22 for me.
Agreed. I like them to the point where they make neighbors maintain their yards and homes, keep people from parking cars on their lawns, and maintain the common areas, but at the same time, they can be too overbearing in trying to tell someone what they can or can't do on their own property.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Agreed. I like them to the point where they make neighbors maintain their yards and homes, keep people from parking cars on their lawns, and maintain the common areas, but at the same time, they can be too overbearing in trying to tell someone what they can or can't do on their own property.
Exactly. That's why I would have to really think about it if I wanted to live in an HOA community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.