U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM

4,345 posts, read 7,420,095 times

Advertisements

that improved or disappeared with a change in climate?

My poor dh has had this chronic, hacking cough for going on two years. He is not a smoker and never has been. He is otherwise pretty healthy and has no other major health problems. He has been to his family doctor, a pulmonologist, an ENT, and an allergist to try to get help for this cough. He has had multiple chest x-rays, throat studies, MRIs, etc. (all normal) and been prescribed and taken bronchodilators, antihistamines, steroids, Neurontin (an anti-convulsant because one doctor though it might be a neurogenic cough), Mucinex DM, Prilosec (one doctor thought it might be GERD), and cough suppressants, none of which has helped him one bit.

We live in a small farming town in SE Michigan and have lived in this climate all of our lives. My doctor told me once that this area is considered the "sinus belt" and that people here often develop chronic problems that are climate related at most anytime in their lifespan. When we transferred to the Phoenix Metro temporarily a couple of years ago, his cough seemed to get better, but we couldn't stay there for various reasons.

I am desperate for answers and suggestions at this point and am wondering if it would be a good idea to have him travel to a different climate over the next week or so to see if the cough improves. If so, then it will point to the fact that it is climate related. If not, then we will know that it's something else. He will be off work for the holidays and I figure that at this point, why waste the money on yet another doctor with no answers when he can test the climate theory and get a nice little getaway out of it too?

First, has anyone ever experienced this type of thing, and if so, did a change in climate help, and second, what area would be a good one to visit? My dh happened to dislike Phoenix, so that probably wouldn't be the best option.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
I had the problem when I lived in a house with a damp basement. I think the dampness got into the heating ducts. I remember being cured while vacationing in S america. I thought it was due to a gamma globulin shot but it may have been the environment.

These days I spray the inside of my furnace with lysol in the fall to try to kill any mold. Of course that means I have to air out the house after I first run the furnace.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,833,943 times
When I moved to Phoenix I developed allergies I had never had anywheres else. And, lots of others I've talked to over the years had the same thing happen. Some months and years better or worse than others.
Has he tried a netti pot? It might sound simple, but it was the best thing I've ever tried when my allergies were really bad.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
I developed a severe pain in my hands while I was living i the midwest. Doctors claimed it was a form of Arthritis. Problem cleared right up when I returned to the dry air of southern california.

I would also check if he on a Blood Pressure medication or ACE inhibitor such as Lisinopril, where one of the side effects is a chronic cough.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:36 PM

208 posts, read 364,518 times
I have had a similar problem on sort of a recurring basis. Sometimes seems to react to the seasons. Doctors can't really isolate it, though they do offer some pretty good guesses, at times. Don't know if it may be related to areas we live in. I live in a place I'm so ashamed of, I won't even mention it but it's about 1,000 miles southwest of you. The general consensus of healthcare professionals here is that this also is a really bad place for sinus troubles, allergies, etc.

My best guess is that the culprit is a combination of things, including allergies, sinus trouble and stress. I'd pretty much overlooked the stress connection but somebody else pointed it out to me and I'll have to admit that it is one of the most consistent factors, in my case. Oh! Also, someone pointed out to me that some medications can contribute to a dry itchy throat, which in turn, can cause coughing.

I do believe a change in climate to a warm, humid, coastal place would help me and while that is just a guess on my part, many others I've talked to about this seem to concur.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
I live in a place I'm so ashamed of, I won't even mention it but it's about 1,000 miles southwest of you. The general consensus of healthcare professionals here is that this also is a really bad place for sinus troubles, allergies, etc.

My best guess is that the culprit is a combination of things, including allergies, sinus trouble and stress. I'd pretty much overlooked the stress connection but somebody else pointed it out to me and I'll have to admit that it is one of the most consistent factors, in my case. Oh! Also, someone pointed out to me that some medications can contribute to a dry itchy throat, which in turn, can cause coughing.

I do believe a change in climate to a warm, humid, coastal place would help me and while that is just a guess on my part, many others I've talked to about this seem to concur.
I agree, dry winter conditions can really make for bad conditions for sinuses which leads to overproduction of mucus which leads to post nasal drip/coughing.

Warm, humid conditions help prevent those conditions and think a sub-tropical climate like Florida's (south of Tampa/Orlando in particular) would be beneficial. You might try an extended vacation (week or so) to see if it helps. It's helped me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or