Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

98 posts, read 275,838 times

Advertisements

America is the land of automobiles and we are lagging in light rail compared to China and Europe with their modern high speed trains.

For our cities that do have public rail systems, most of them are still using older, slow trains so they need to renovate.

In addition, there are cities that lack light rail.

Which cities are actively planning its light rail system or are in the process of having it by 2025? Here is a list of cities I am most familiar with.

Seattle. The city has Central Link and is planning the Seattle Center Monorail.

Minneapolis. (Barring any financial problems and further delays, I see the potential for the Twin Cities.)

Indianapolis. Believe it or not, the city is proposing to build light rail, but I doubt it very much.

Nashville. The city has Music City Star Line but it saw limited success. I believe Nashville is not built for a light rail.

Of course, New York, Chicago, Boston, D.C., and Philadelphia all have excellent rail systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times
One light rail line in Minneapolis and its doing GREAT! Ridership is higher than projected
Currently one being constructed and bout to hit the tracks in 2014 connecting Downtown Minneapolis to Downtown Saint Paul. Also a couple proposals, one from Downtown Minneapolis to SW Suburb Eden Prairie and one from Downtown Saint Paul to SE Suburb Hastings

Central Corridor (MPLS - STP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFrwPDMSM6E&feature=fvst

I heard Detroit was planing on having one running along Woodward from Downtown Detroit all the way up to the fairgrounds but im not sure if thats still in planning stages or what. (i hope they build it though)

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 12-28-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,076,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
America is the land of automobiles and we are lagging in light rail compared to China and Europe with their modern high speed trains.

For our cities that do have public rail systems, most of them are still using older, slow trains so they need to renovate.

In addition, there are cities that lack light rail.

Which cities are actively planning its light rail system or are in the process of having it by 2025? Here is a list of cities I am most familiar with.

Seattle. The city has Central Link and is planning the Seattle Center Monorail.

Minneapolis. (Barring any financial problems and further delays, I see the potential for the Twin Cities.)

Indianapolis. Believe it or not, the city is proposing to build light rail, but I doubt it very much.

Nashville. The city has Music City Star Line but it saw limited success. I believe Nashville is not built for a light rail.

Of course, New York, Chicago, Boston, D.C., and Philadelphia all have excellent rail systems.
Houston is currently expanding its LRT system.

Houston Light Rail Transit - YouTube

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,771,200 times
2 lines in NJ are nearing the Construction phase...and a few smaller extensions...

Current Systems

System : RiverLine
Length : 34 mi
Stations : 20
Ridership : 11,000 (Projected 2030 Ridership : 35,000)

System : Newark Light Rail
Length : 14 mi
Stations : 20
Ridership : 21,000 (Projected 2030 Ridership : 50,000)

System : Hudson Bergen Light Rail
Length : 21 mi
Stations : 24
Ridership : 55,000 (Projected 2030 Ridership : 170,000)

Planned Projects

Project : Northern Branch Light Rail
Length : 11 Mi
Stations : 9
Projected Ridership : 50,000

Project : Glassboro Light Rail
Length : 21 mi
Stations : 15
Projected Ridership : 25,000

Project : Hudson Bergen Light Rail 440 Extension (Bayfront)
Length : 3500Ft
Stations : 1
Projected Ridership : 26,000

Project : West Orange Extension of the Newark Light Rail
Length : 3 mi
Stations : 6
Projected Ridership : 25,000

Project : Infill Stations on the HBLR network
Stations : 4
Projected Ridership : 45,000

Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,881,139 times
Dallas & Houston are actively expanding their current light rail with Dallas more so.

Austin recently got light rail in March 2010, but from what I hear it sucks & not many people use it. Ridership numbers were as low as 800 people daily when it first opened. I think that number has doubled by now, but it is still too low for a city the size of Austin.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,555,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post

I heard Detroit was planing on having one running along Woodward from Downtown Detroit all the way up to the fairgrounds but im not sure if thats still in planning stages or what. (i hope they build it though)
Detroit's is sort of questionable.

Detroit light-rail line plan scrapped for city, suburban buses | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20111213/BUSINESS06/111213071/Detroit-light-rail-line-scrapped - broken link)

Detroit's light rail plan derailed, bus alternative discussed & Mayor Bing, Senator Levin respond

The city is going through financial troubles and the mayor decided that the city couldn't afford to maintain it after it was built (personally, it should be privatized). However, quite a few powerful local businessmen have invested in this project and construction was set to start next year (the planning and studies and financing was all completed). Half the opinion is that the rail won't help the city and is too expensive while the other side argues that it will spur development along its route.

Then...to make things more political, the governor of Michigan introduced the idea of using BRT for the whole region based on the idea that it's cheaper and covers more area (personally, we can/should use both). This all going on under possibility of Detroit going bankrupt or going into state receivership (which in itself has become a hotly political issue). It's all very messy.

However, the private investors are still very committed to keep the project going (or at least the 1st phase of it).

M1 CEO Matt Cullen: Private investors remain committed to original light rail plan in Detroit | MLive.com

Light-rail investors press on with plans to build shorter line in Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20111217/NEWS01/112170401 - broken link)

Here's the full line. Phase 1 stops at New Center/Grand Boulevard (point where the music changes).

Woodward Light Rail - Full Demo - YouTube

Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,927,815 times
What's the deal with the monorail in Seattle? Do they really have any advantages other than being able to say "Hey! I rode a monorail!"? From everything I've ever read, they are much, much more expensive than traditional systems and they don't really offer any concrete advantages.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 AM

406 posts, read 482,803 times
Default Maryland

Baltimore Red Line:

Home - Baltimore Red Line

Go Baltimore Red Line

Red Line Now: Moving Baltimore into the 21st Century (http://red-line-now.com/index.html - broken link)

DC Purple Line:

The Purple Line

Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,304,639 times
In Atlanta were doing the Beltline, a 22 mile loop of transit, trails, parkland & infill development around the core of the city. We are also starting several streetcar lines, several of which will integrate with the Beltline. This will all compliment our existing heavy rail system.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home

Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 AM

413 posts, read 786,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
What's the deal with the monorail in Seattle? Do they really have any advantages other than being able to say "Hey! I rode a monorail!"? From everything I've ever read, they are much, much more expensive than traditional systems and they don't really offer any concrete advantages.
The Monorail was designed to shuttle people between downtown Seattle and the Seattle Center grounds where the 1962 World's Fair was held. It's a relic.

There is only one line and thing goes maybe 12 blocks. The Monorail is potentially useful for tourists. It can shuttle you from your downtown hotel to the Space Needle and Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum. It is basically useless as public transit and there are no plans to expand the Monorail system.

Seattle's actual light rail expansion is the conventional variety: Sound Transit Projects: Projects Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.