Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,864,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
There are some days when I think I could never live anywhere other than the west coast simply because I cannot tolerate mosquitos. I dealt with them in one foreign locale and they are simply the bane of my existence, thank god we do not have them out west.
REALLY? You don't have mosquitos in the west????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,809,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
REALLY? You don't have mosquitos in the west????
Haha, I concur that that is an exaggeration, but they are considered rare as opposed to eaten alive at sunset in many other places. That's why you'll never (OK, hardly ever) see a screened porch out here.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Haha, I concur that that is an exaggeration, but they are considered rare as opposed to eaten alive at sunset in many other places. That's why you'll never (OK, hardly ever) see a screened porch out here.
We get them in NJ. I don't know how much water is around where you live, but that's definitely a factor--we have a lot of lakes and streams and swampy areas here in Jersey, and skeeters just LOVE to breed in such places.

Also, mosquitos seem to favor certain people over others.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,695,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

Lack of mosquitos is a good thing in my book, the eat me alive. I think I have whatever blood type they are most attracted to

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Default Am I the only one who is uncomfortable living outside the western seaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OROSO View Post
I don't know, but it just seems that the West Coast is the place to be. It's like the epicenter of the US. I can never fathom on living in New York. It just seems too far.
Lol, I don't blame anyone for starting a thread like this, especially not after the eastern seaboard version came out a few days before.

However, I am curious why someone had to hide behind a new created alt to ask a perfectly good question.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times
As a westerner, I'm a little embarrassed that you'd resort to copying the east coaster's thread, as if to say "nuh uh." I thought we were a little more creative and original than that.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,359,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
East Coast is home to me, too. I'd like to visit California--I've gotten as far west as Las Vegas, but never California. I'd love to see some of that beautiful scenery. People I know who have traveled to CA always complain that the food isn't as good as it is here, but how awful could it be? I could deal with boring food in exchange for the scenery.
California is the agricultural epicenter of the United States and the most diverse state in the union--I find it quite laughable when EC folks brag about their food being better than ours, no offense.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 PM

47 posts, read 89,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
As a westerner, I'm a little embarrassed that you'd resort to copying the east coaster's thread . . .
I didn't realize there was another thread like this one.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
California is the agricultural epicenter of the United States and the most diverse state in the union--I find it quite laughable when EC folks brag about their food being better than ours, no offense.
I don't think it has anything to do with being the agricultural center--as a matter of fact, California ships its hard, tough vegetables that are bred to survive long-term shipping to us all year long so that we can enjoy flavorless strawberries and tasteless tomatoes in the wintertime.

I've never been to California, so I can't say personally. It's just that this is a recurring theme when people I've known have gone there to visit--they don't like the food. I'm in the NY/NJ metro area, so we've got the same types of diversity--that wasn't mentioned specifically. It's just always that the food in CA, especially the LA area, is always noted as not being that great.

Sidebar: Why do people use "epicenter" for "center" lately? It doesn't mean the same thing.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OROSO View Post
I didn't realize there was another thread like this one.
And now there's the Great Lakes one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.