U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM

49 posts, read 134,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm going to think way outside the box and put Minneapolis, Detroit and possibly Cleveland in the top 10 metros by 2030-2040, when I predict there to be a MAJOR water crisis in the country and world and coupled with global climate change and increasingly milder temps up North, I think people will want to swarm to areas lush with natural fresh water -- like the Great Lakes. I'd include Chicago too but it's already in the top 3.

This is meant to be more playful than anything, as I wouldn't put any money on this happening, but if it did, I can see these areas becoming increasingly vital and popular -- and rich! I know, I know.....it's not just "our" water, and we share it with Canada. To get around this, I predict (with this scenario) a full-scale war (Civil War II, if you will) between the U.S. and Canada and in 2 short weeks, the U.S. will take over most Canadian assets. USA! USA! USA!

Aaaaaaaand, dream over!
The problem with this premise is that it doesn't take into account the technology already in place to desalinate salt water, not to mention the ability to transport water from point A to point B, whether by pipeline or tanker fleet.

Also, many of the sunbelt states like Texas, Arizona and Nevada still have a lot more room to grow, given their very low population densities, even after the booms they had in the 90s and 2000s, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona are still well under 100 people per square mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathseeker View Post
The problem with this premise is that it doesn't take into account the technology already in place to desalinate salt water, not to mention the ability to transport water from point A to point B, whether by pipeline or tanker fleet.

Also, many of the sunbelt states like Texas, Arizona and Nevada still have a lot more room to grow, given their very low population densities, even after the booms they had in the 90s and 2000s, Texas, Nevada, and Arizona are still well under 100 people per square mile.
Oh, right, problem solved! Go do that!!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I predict the opposite. The polar icecaps are going to rapidly expand taking over most of Canada and making the Midwest the new Antartica. Everyone will flock to the south where the descending ice will create New Great Lakes in Southern Missouri.

midwest farms will cease to exist and the farmers will move south. Little Rock will be the new Windy City. New York Will be moved to New Orleans. Boston will combine with Houston, Philadelphia will Combine with Dallas, DC will remain where it is. Cleveland will combine with Birmingham and MSP will combine will combine with Atlanta.

To gain more resources the US will take over Mexico and kick everyone there out, and use the land for farming. USA! USA! USA!

Aaaaaaand, Dream over!

I can't believe we had similar dreams?! I like yours though, because in your dreams cities can apparently fly around and move places -- you think WAY outside the box!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,272,669 times
Quote:
all the tracks I listed are of downtown Houston. and there is no 9th ward in Houston. We had 6 wards.

I did not include anything east of the Downtown George R Brown Convention Center. Try again.

Show me these single family homes you talk about inside downtown.
The ones I posted of SA are in the heart of where you want to consider downtown

I doubt Houstons downtown has 15k anyway S.A.'s downtown goes beyond those census tracts they overlap into portions of other tracts even though maybe not the entire tract is all downtown only segments of it is. This is SA's case and its grid twist and turns in different directions following the old cattle drives.

The neighborhood you say is single home residential are 18th and 19th century historic districts surrounded by Downtown, Lavaca and King William and the So Flo district which are a mix of Lofts, apts, commercial, and single home residential. These areas have a lot of historic conversions and less modern urban developments. This is San Antonio and its downtown area covers a wider span than Houston's downtown.

click for enlarged versions.

Removed pics...../

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-11-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM

10,807 posts, read 9,439,330 times
Quote:
keep grasping at straws, but philly's only hope is that they are like a little dog in NY's backyard and NY keeps throwing them bones.

Cities like Houston, DFW, ATL are the cities of the future. And we do it without big mama NY sending us bones. You must be happy NY stopped you from declining into oblivion

look at those Southern metros pass you up. DFW first, then Houston. DC will be in a few years, then ATL after that, then Miami. Oh but you will have your subway. Thank God for that.
Don't embarrass yourself HtownLove. Houston will never have the culture or history of cities in the Northeast. Houston needs to focus on quality of life, not on population gain.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM

10,807 posts, read 9,439,330 times
Quote:
I predict the opposite. The polar icecaps are going to rapidly expand taking over most of Canada and making the Midwest the new Antartica. Everyone will flock to the south where the descending ice will create New Great Lakes in Southern Missouri.

midwest farms will cease to exist and the farmers will move south. Little Rock will be the new Windy City. New York Will be moved to New Orleans. Boston will combine with Houston, Philadelphia will Combine with Dallas, DC will remain where it is. Cleveland will combine with Birmingham and MSP will combine will combine with Atlanta.

To gain more resources the US will take over Mexico and kick everyone there out, and use the land for farming. USA! USA! USA!

Aaaaaaand, Dream over!
Far more likely that a devastating Cat 5 hurricane will wipe out Houston before then...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,184,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Don't embarrass yourself HtownLove. Houston will never have the culture or history of cities in the Northeast. Houston needs to focus on quality of life, not on population gain.
Who said anything about Culture, and how do you know what Houston will or will not match. Your from Austin, see to Austin before you start talking about Cities miles ahead of you guys. When will Austin match the theaters, Museums, professional Sports etc of Houston. Please dude, YOU need to stop embarassing yourself and stick to talking about your overgrown college town.
Quote:
Far more likely that a devastating Cat 5 hurricane will wipe out Houston before then...
You wish.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Quote:
and the Northeast will never have the Culture and History of Houston, isnt that what makes the world intresting?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,184,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
and the Northeast will never have the Culture and History of Houston, isnt that what makes the world intresting?
Its one of the stupid jabs he makes at Houston all the time.

But you are right, it is why people see other places, its because they want to see places different from where they live.

Places are different for different things, I enjoyed some tiny villages in Europe more than I did some major cities. Didn't like the Capital or the biggest city in Switzerland as much as I liked some of the tiny villages scattered around the place. Same with Ireland, France and Germany.

Don't know why some think every has to be the same. There are things I love in Philly and don't expect to get exactly the same anywhere else but Philly. I would not go to Boston and expect Philly either. Nor would I go to either of those and eat Tex Mex. I would eat what the locals eat, not expect home where I go. Its just silly

Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,007,346 times
I think the growth rate in the US will slow down dramatically in near future. Booming cities will be a thing of the past as Europe currently don't have boom towns or anything like that. Most of it is beyond developed, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.