U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times

Advertisements

For me; accents are easier to distinguish among blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM

83 posts, read 141,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've visited various parts of the South, but because I've not lived there nor know many Southerners, I'm unable to discern between the various Southern accents- they are just deemed "Southern Accent" in my mind but I guess there are many variations.

Also, if I am in a room with someone from Nebraska, Arizona, or Maryland- I do not know if I will be able to distinguish them based on their accent.

I know others who confuse other accents outside the American accents too- even Australian for British (of which there are many variations); Australian for South African; I know many people overseas who cannot differentiate between General American and Canadian too...
some people have said Minnesota accents are distinct in the midwest when I probably couldn't tell the different between someone who is from MN, AZ, MD, IL, etc

but I haven't listened that closely either, so..

Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,948,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
For me; accents are easier to distinguish among blacks.
I'll take your word for it, but I find that surprising.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
^ I think black people have an easier time distinguishing accents of other black people, while white people have an easier time distinguishing accents of white people. I know white people who don't even realize that there are different regional accents among African Americans. They think they all have the same accent, more or less

Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
some people have said Minnesota accents are distinct in the midwest when I probably couldn't tell the different between someone who is from MN, AZ, MD, IL, etc

but I haven't listened that closely either, so..
Minnesota is like Canada plus Chicago. For example, someone with a North Central accent would say "home" and "boat" like a Canadian, but "not" and "sorry" like a Chicagoan. ("Hohm" and "boht" rather than "houm" and "bout," and "nat" and "sarry" rather than "nawt" and "sohrry.")

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM

334 posts, read 985,410 times
NY, NJ, Massachusetts, Boston, Philly, and other NE regions all sound the same to me. I couldn't pick out a Boston speaker from someone from Brooklyn for instance.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,287,914 times
The Tennessee and Carolina accents are very similar and hard to tell apart, I'm not positive theres a difference but I know those accents are different from the generic Southern accent. Like Al Gore and Fred Thompson have the Tennessee accent and sound the same as John Edwards and other rural Carolinians.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,999,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
NY, NJ, Massachusetts, Boston, Philly, and other NE regions all sound the same to me. I couldn't pick out a Boston speaker from someone from Brooklyn for instance.
Really? To me, New York, Boston, and Philly all sound completely different. Boston and Brooklyn is like Chicago to Atlanta in my opinion. Listen to someone in New York say car, then ask someone in Boston to say it... the "a" really stands out.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,534,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair enough

What is the Pittsburgh accent most similar to? East coast, Appalachian or Midwestern? It seems to me it may be most appalachian
Sounds *very* Appalachian to me (eg, the "drawl"), but then again, I moved there from Minneapolis, so pretty much anything on or south of 80 sounds like it has a "Southern" drawl to me....

Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,534,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yeah, Pittsburgh definitely has some dialectical similarities with Appalachia, but it's still a far cry from something you'd hear in Kentucky or West Virginia. It has far more German and even Eastern European influences, which makes it very distinct.
Like most places, it's different between urbanites and suburbanites, too. I notice that the folks in say, Moon Township sound pretty Appalachian. The folks in the actual city still have a drawl or a twang, but they almost have a GNCVS, like Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. Probably the common denominator there is Germans and Slavic immigrants to all those cities...

Not saying its anything like my beautiful urban Minnesota accent, mind you, but there are similarities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or