Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times

Advertisements

south philly italians sound a lot like the jersey/bronx/brooklyn/ct italians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I think black people have an easier time distinguishing accents of other black people, while white people have an easier time distinguishing accents of white people. I know white people who don't even realize that there are different regional accents among African Americans. They think they all have the same accent, more or less
The reason why I find it surprising is that black northerners generally have southern family roots, whereas white northerners generally do not. For black America there is an obvious connection between North and South; for white America there is not.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Aside from the unique enclaves like New Orleans or Charleston, I can often make distinctions between the Upper South twang and the Lower South drawl.

You always hear people say that this person has a "(insert city/state) accent", but that never made sense to me because not every two people from the same city ever sound exactly alike. I know people who grew up on the same block as me, and we don't all have the same accent.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Another place that I thought of would be California. I really haven't heard an accent out there. There were ethnic accents of course in the cities, but were not exclusive to California. I would have to say that out of anywhere I can't really pick out much of an accent from Cali (especially SoCal)

Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Another place that I thought of would be California. I really haven't heard an accent out there. There were ethnic accents of course in the cities, but were not exclusive to California. I would have to say that out of anywhere I can't really pick out much of an accent from Cali (especially SoCal)
I agree, but some people get hung up on the lack of distinction between "cot" and "caught". I think Pittsburgh is the same as Cali in this respect, though, so that's probably why you don't hear it.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 AM

159 posts, read 316,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
south philly italians sound a lot like the jersey/bronx/brooklyn/ct italians

As a whole the Philly accent (especially Northeast/Port Richmond/Kensington/Fishtown and outlying suburbs) stands out of me A LOT, so strange! I think people expect a Northeastern accent like NYC/north jersey, and they get some strange midatlantic hybrid. The first time I heard someone say "Can I have a can"(of soda) I just stared at them blankly because I didn't understand. Now I find myself doing that weird things with vowels(especially 'Oh' sounds, like in Poke.)

As a whole, accents on the upper half of the East Coast are very distinct to my ear - Maine is very different from Mass/Boston which is very different from NYC/North Jersey, which is very different from Philly/South Jersey. I've lived on the east coast my entire life though and have a very neutral accent and ear though - For the life of me I can't discern any accents in the midwest, and I just love hearing Southerners talk so much that I'm too smitten to identify the finer points of it's origins. I'm a city girl, but those soft-spoken boys with a hint of a southern drawl just make me melt lol.

I am not even aware of regional difference in accents on the West Coast - I always thought of people out there having very neutral accents, much like my own.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I can distinguish between most accents but I find the so-called Philly accent not all that distinctive. To me Boston is pretty much the same as Eastern New England as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
The Baltimore Accent from Black and White interviewees. Notice how the guy with dreads said "do" that's a Baltimore trademarkl; quite funny, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Ofwawwonk

Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I can distinguish between most accents but I find the so-called Philly accent not all that distinctive. To me Boston is pretty much the same as Eastern New England as well.
So you telling me this does not sound distinctive. The Philly accent

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/quote]

Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
So you telling me this does not sound distinctive. The Philly accent

[/quote]

Are Italian philadelphians they only people with an accent? They seems to be the only nationality used when talking about a philly accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.