U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 AM

694 posts, read 1,514,444 times

Advertisements

The wealthiest (and poorest) places in the United States - Aug. 28, 2007

According to median Household Income:

Top 10 Richest States
1) Maryland - $65,144
2) New Jersey - $64,470
3) Connecticut - $63,422
4) Hawaii - $61,160
5) Massachusetts - $59,963
6) New Hampshire - $59,683
7) Alaska - $59,393
8) California - $56,645
9) Virginia - $56,277
10) Minnesota - $54,023

9 Poorest States
42) Montana - $40,627
43) Tennessee - $40,315
44) Kentucky - $39,372
45) Louisiana - $39,337
46) Alabama - $38,783
47) Oklahoma - $38,770
48) Arkansas - $36,599
49) West Virginia - $35,059
50) Mississippi - $34,473

Some notes from the article:

- Maryland replaced New Jersey as richest state, New Jersey was #1 last year

- Connecticut placed 3rd for 2nd year in a row

- Maryland's median household income was almost doubled that of the poorest state, Mississippi

- Median income for whole U.S. is $48,451

- Income growth highest in D.C. at 6.4%
- Next highest was Nevada and New Mexico at 4.5

- Income dipped highest in Delaware by -2.9%
- Rhode Island (-2.0%) and Maine (-1.6%) were next to have highest dip

- In places with more that 250,000 in population: Plano, Texas has highest median income at $77,038, followed by San Jose at $73,804, and San Francisco at $65,497

- In places with more than 250,000 in population, Cleveland had lowest median income ($26,535) followed by Miami ($27,088), Buffalo ($27,850), Detroit ($28,364), St. Louis ($30,936), Cincinnati ($31,103), Memphis ($32,593) and El Paso ($33,103)

- Philadelphia is the only city in the nation's top 10 biggest cities to also be in top 10 poorest cities at $33,229

Last edited by tenken627; 08-31-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,904,189 times
I'm seeing a red/blue thing here.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I'm seeing a red/blue thing here.
As am I, even though it is quite peculiar, to say the least. For many years Republicans were known as being the "rich white guy" party, but now it seems as if most "red" states are impoverished (save for Alaska) while most "blue" states are wealthy. (Virginia is now turning "blue", so I'll include it as a Democratic state). This also corresponds to educational attainment levels---more Democrats tend to live in larger cities and tend to be better-educated (hence higher incomes) while most Republicans tend to live in rural or outlying suburban areas and have less education as a result (hence lower incomes). We've noticed that "educational gap" amongst many Republicans and Democrats for quite a number of years now---it doesn't make Democrats "smarter", per se, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I also think it's interesting to see New Jersey's median household income at $64,470 while all you read about on their state forum is how "poor" they all are. Can someone explain THAT to me? Scranton, PA, my hometown, has a median household income less than half of NJ's, yet we're not poverty-strickened by any means either, so I just don't know why Garden Staters feel as if they have a leg to stand on when they scream poverty. Yes, their cost-of-living is much higher than ours, but you don't read the same volume of whiners on other forums of expensive states, such as MD, CT, NY, as you do on their forum, which totally baffles me.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,498,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I also think it's interesting to see New Jersey's median household income at $64,470 while all you read about on their state forum is how "poor" they all are. Can someone explain THAT to me? Scranton, PA, my hometown, has a median household income less than half of NJ's, yet we're not poverty-strickened by any means either, so I just don't know why Garden Staters feel as if they have a leg to stand on when they scream poverty. Yes, their cost-of-living is much higher than ours, but you don't read the same volume of whiners on other forums of expensive states, such as MD, CT, NY, as you do on their forum, which totally baffles me.

dude, enough with the sweeping generalizations that you seem to be so fond of. i am quite active on that board, and i have NEVER screamed poverty. in fact, i'm one of the few who dispel myths about needing $250K (yes, someone said this) to live there comfortably, and it seems i'm forever telling posters that YES, you can purchase a home on an attainable NJ salary - not every home is $500K+.

sheesh, come on now, a little diplomacy please! you won't get far in politics this way - isn't that your aspiration?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM

11,022 posts, read 15,718,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
dude, enough with the sweeping generalizations that you seem to be so fond of. i am quite active on that board, and i have NEVER screamed poverty. in fact, i'm one of the few who dispel myths about needing $250K (yes, someone said this) to live there comfortably, and it seems i'm forever telling posters that YES, you can purchase a home on an attainable NJ salary - not every home is $500K+.

sheesh, come on now, a little diplomacy please! you won't get far in politics this way - isn't that your aspiration?
DITTO Tahiti..

Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,498,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As am I, even though it is quite peculiar, to say the least. For many years Republicans were known as being the "rich white guy" party, but now it seems as if most "red" states are impoverished (save for Alaska) while most "blue" states are wealthy. (Virginia is now turning "blue", so I'll include it as a Democratic state). This also corresponds to educational attainment levels---more Democrats tend to live in larger cities and tend to be better-educated (hence higher incomes) while most Republicans tend to live in rural or outlying suburban areas and have less education as a result (hence lower incomes).
just another perspective on this "rich=blue", "poor=red" theory. ancedotal - but in least in NJ, the wealthiest areas are SOLID red and solidly suburban. This includes the richest top 3 counties (also top 10 in the country) - somerset, hunterdon, morris.

i typically divide republicans into 2 camps - "rich" (or fiscal) and "religious" (or social). my BIL is the former, lol - the neocon movement drives him up the wall. the republicans in NJ are definitely in the "rich" category, where the republicans in the south i would classify as social conservatives.

i wonder if this holds true in the other top 10 as well, i'll have to research.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM

116 posts, read 282,381 times
Education gap between Democrats and Republicans? wtf Just because some Republicans aren't all acccepting of all "enlightened" ideas thrown at them by Democrats does not correlate with lower income. Yes some more rural republicans states are poorer because of less industry. So what?

And no I am not Republican

Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 100,869 times
VAsinger? aren't you going to say something about VA?

::laughs::

Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,473,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
just another perspective on this "rich=blue", "poor=red" theory. ancedotal - but in least in NJ, the wealthiest areas are SOLID red and solidly suburban. This includes the richest top 3 counties (also top 10 in the country) - somerset, hunterdon, morris.

i typically divide republicans into 2 camps - "rich" (or fiscal) and "religious" (or social). my BIL is the former, lol - the neocon movement drives him up the wall. the republicans in NJ are definitely in the "rich" category, where the republicans in the south i would classify as social conservatives.

i wonder if this holds true in the other top 10 as well, i'll have to research.
I agree with this.

The wealthy areas in CT are solid red as well as they are fiscally conservative yet socially liberal.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,642,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprompt View Post
VAsinger? aren't you going to say something about VA?

::laughs::
haha! Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.