U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,534,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Some are declining (like Prince George's County inside the Beltway), some are reaching a plateau, and a few are still growing. Generally though, suburban growth/wealth is not quite what it used to be.
In metro Atlanta 1.613 Million people moved to the suburbs, 0.04 Million moved to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In metro Atlanta 1.613 Million people moved to the suburbs, 0.04 Million moved to Atlanta.
O..kay? But what was the ratio ten years ago? That's what I'd like to know.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
O..kay? But what was the ratio ten years ago? That's what I'd like to know.
it was from 2000-2010 for every person that moved to Atlanta 403 moved to the Suburbs.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
it was from 2000-2010 for every person that moved to Atlanta 403 moved to the Suburbs.
Oh alright then. In that case it would be interesting to break it down by year, if possible. And for all the major US metro areas.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Oh alright then. In that case it would be interesting to break it down by year, if possible. And for all the major US metro areas.
Ok this is suburban growth/City Growth
Boston 7/1
Atlanta 40.3/1
Washington Dc 38.9/1
San Francisco 7/1

I did this by finding the total growth and subtracting the growth in the city to get suburban growth, then dividing by the city growth to get an x/1 ratio.
* if you have a problem with my math please point it out so I can fix it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
How nice that you can benefit from a city economy without paying city taxes. As long as you can tolerate the commute.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal Many cities levy an earned income tax on the people who work in those cities. I pay 3.4 (within a percentage point or two) percent of my income to Philadelphia, more than I pay to the state of Pennsylvania. Because of reciprocation, I do not pay income tax to the suburb in which I live.

My suburb is subsidizing street repairs, emergency services, and garbage pickup in Philadelphia.

I may be benefiting from city services (although how much I benefit from pothole-riddled streets is questionable, and my employer uses a private trash hauler), but I'm also paying through the nose for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Thankfully, a lot of cities including Baltimore are on the rebound and I plan on moving back and being a part of the rebound as soon as I'm financially capable.
Yeah, I've noticed that many city neighborhoods are out of the reach of many middle income and working class folks. Guess we're stuck living in the 'burbs, where housing is more affordable.

Last edited by Bo; 01-03-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Many cities levy an earned income tax on the people who work in those cities. I pay 3.4 (within a percentage point or two) percent of my income to Philadelphia, more than I pay to the state of Pennsylvania. Because of reciprocation, I do not pay income tax to the suburb in which I live.

My suburb is subsidizing street repairs, emergency services, and garbage pickup in Philadelphia.

I may be benefiting from city services (although how much I benefit from pothole-riddled streets is questionable, and my employer uses a private trash hauler), but I'm also paying through the nose for them.

Yeah, I've noticed that many city neighborhoods are out of the reach of many middle income and working class folks. Guess we're stuck living in the 'burbs, where housing is more affordable.
At the same time people in cities and rural areas, nationwide, are subsidizing your suburban living. People in the suburbs get the most handouts, so I dont understand what you have to complain about.

Last edited by Bo; 01-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Ok this is suburban growth/City Growth
Boston 7/1
Atlanta 40.3/1
Washington Dc 38.9/1
San Francisco 7/1

I did this by finding the total growth and subtracting the growth in the city to get suburban growth, then dividing by the city growth to get an x/1 ratio.
* if you have a problem with my math please point it out so I can fix it.
Interesting. Still hoping someone can do year by year, because I suspect the ratios are gradually getting smaller in most metros. But thanks for that.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
Some posts in this thread were deleted. Here's a reminder from City-Data's Term of Service:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

The best way to avoid violating this rule is to discuss other posts, rather than other posters. Be especially careful of the word "you," since it is all too easy to use with insults when discussing a controversial topic.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
At the same time people in cities and rural areas, nationwide, are subsidizing your suburban living. People in the suburbs get the most handouts, so I dont understand what you have to complain about.
I'm not complaining; que sera sera. I'm simply refuting the misinformed and incorrect assertion posted in this thread (and in many others) that suburban residents don't pay for the services the city provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or