Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
America doesn’t do big projects anymore — we’re too broke, no one can agree on our priorities, that era of bold thinking is over.

That canard has been repeated so many times that it’s now accepted as gospel. Except it’s not true. In cities in every region of the country, pie-in-the-sky ideas are moving from brainstorm to blueprint to groundbreaking — and 2012 will prove it. From a massive re-imagining of a postindustrial Chicago landscape to the rebirth of the Los Angeles River, these seven ventures point the way to a brave urban future.
Full article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
I have happily made the move from suburbs to city, but I'm not one for dancing on graves. There was a reason Americans moved to the suburbs in the first place, and we need to remember the lessons from those times, lest we repeat them.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I have happily made the move from suburbs to city, but I'm not one for dancing on graves. There was a reason Americans moved to the suburbs in the first place, and we need to remember the lessons from those times, lest we repeat them.
White people fled to suburbs so they didnt have to live next to black people.

Now that white people are moving back into cities and forcing black people into suburbs, more are moving into cities.

I guess the lesson is that some people are racist?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

Now that white people are moving back into cities and forcing black people into suburbs, more are moving into cities.

It's just that simple, huh? It's alright, I'm kind of an idealist myself, but it's been a while since freshman year.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
WOW. Somebody needs to inform our local builders that suburbs are not successful. They are building them like crazy here and people are waiting to move in as soon as they are done.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Nothing is going to extinguish the market for families wanting to live in a bigger house in an area with better school districts, race being irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Ambitious urban planning projects are obviously a great thing, but for the idea to have suburbs languishing in their wake is a bad idea and unrealistic. Like urban renewal, I think suburban renewal is in order and try to find ways to make cities and suburbs alike improve in quality of life and cohesiveness.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:

I thought the reason was you could buy a bigger house with a bigger yard for less money and taxes than what could be bought in the city.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Nothing is going to extinguish the market for families wanting to live in a bigger house in an area with better school districts, race being irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Ambitious urban planning projects are obviously a great thing, but for the idea to have suburbs languishing in their wake is a bad idea and unrealistic. Like urban renewal, I think suburban renewal is in order and try to find ways to make cities and suburbs alike improve in quality of life and cohesiveness.
I wouldn't necessarily assume that the suburbs will always have better school districts, but the rest of your post is spot on.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The reason cities tend to have bad school districts is because the middle and upper classes fled.

Anyway, I phrased the title bad. Suburbs that embrace smart growth will thrive, along with cities. What we are seeing is the beginning of a decline of sprawl. Cities that focus on endless subdivisions, strip malls, and over reliance on the car will suffer.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Don't care. There are still many houses in the suburbs available to buy. I'm going to be one of them. I hate the city, the mentality, the people, and the lifestyle. I need peace and quiet. Not rudeness, crime, and congestion. So you can keep your nasty little city. I'll keep my big 2 story home in my suburban neighborhood with lots of space, clean air, and wide open skies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.