U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM

83 posts, read 141,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But isn't this thread about the best American cities for European Americans?

So yeah, dumb.

The answer to this question is: blindfold yourself and throw a dart towards a map. Whatever city you hit qualifies.

Even in a majority Black city like Detroit, you've got some of the most affluent majority-White suburbs in the nation.
I still disagree because some parts of the country are much whiter than others
(well, this would be a factor for some but not all)

Reverse discrimination could be a factor too. I've heard people say things like "Its hard to be white and male in L.A." (not that I'm taking their word for it)

I've also heard that white people in Memphis city limits get discriminated against a lot, not that I'm taking their word for it either.

White people are becoming the minority as well.

So, the question is not as relevant as 'best cities for AA' but it is noteworthy. and its a way to challenge the common double-standard that "its racist when whites say it, but not blacks" , that kind of thing.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,596,568 times
The problem with a thread like this is while it could actually be of some use, it mostly attracts all the moral preeners who never miss an opportunity to fluff their feathers about racial issues. It's likely to get closed soon because it will turned into a flame war by the parsons of the PC church. Instead of judging the OP's motives, if you have nothing useful to add to the subject then why not just move along?
BTW, I'd rank Seattle pretty high on the list and New York as well, although New York can appeal to just about any city lover, no matter what their background.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,528,288 times
As I white guy, I understand we have needs too...but the great thing about being white in the United States is basically everywhere fits for us. Just don't go to the future.

Louis CK - Being White - YouTube

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM

932 posts, read 985,712 times
Boston
New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Miami
Washington DC

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 3,445,029 times
Default boredatwork

"The best city for European Americans" lol....thats clever...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM

56,846 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiechen513 View Post
Welcome to Smokin Hot Gas Grills. The fact that you’re
visiting can only mean you are in the market for a gas
grill. Luckily for you Weber is one of the best quality
brands (if not the best) on the market. Your grilling
satisfaction is as good as guaranteed with a Weber Grill,
providing you choose the correct option for your requirements.
---------------
Weber gas grills
True

Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM

56,846 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I still disagree because some parts of the country are much whiter than others
(well, this would be a factor for some but not all)

Reverse discrimination could be a factor too. I've heard people say things like "Its hard to be white and male in L.A." (not that I'm taking their word for it)

I've also heard that white people in Memphis city limits get discriminated against a lot, not that I'm taking their word for it either.

White people are becoming the minority as well.

So, the question is not as relevant as 'best cities for AA' but it is noteworthy. and its a way to challenge the common double-standard that "its racist when whites say it, but not blacks" , that kind of thing.
People say that as if all people of color are the same and Whites are still going to be the largest group, at least pluralistically, for decades to come. With that said, I'd say Salt Lake City, Boise, Burlington VT, Portland ME, Missoula MT and Spokane WA.

Also, I wouldn't call that the "common double standard" either. Think about that for a second.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM

7,842 posts, read 12,360,444 times
I am a minority and think this is a legitimate question as long as there are threads (and official articles) talking about the best places for blacks and Hispanics.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,133,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
Since a new year has just started this should be relatively easy to reflect upon.

Here is my pick (not in any order)

San Francisco
Minneapolis
Portland
Seattle
Denver
Boston
Austin

I chose these places because relatively low levels of crime
San Francisco, Boston, and Minneapolis have significantly higher violent crime rates than Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Austin, and could be considered more on the medium-high side of things when it comes to violent crime in big American cities. It flips around for property crime though, with Seattle, Portland, and Austin being worse than the others (Denver and Boston being the lowest, with SF and Minneapolis in the middle)...none of them are that high or low though, it's kind of a mid-range level of property crime for all of them.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,133,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Stuff White People Like

Clearly, the definitive list for (liberal) white people. NYC (Manhattan & Brooklyn) and San Francisco are the only cities listed.
I always found it funny that those places are included on that website, since SF, Manhattan, and Brooklyn are all under 50% white, and are losing white people (yes, losing them, despite the last decade's hipster/yuppie invasion in both cities). Speaking for SF, the city has been losing white residents constantly since the 1950s...it was 85% white in 1950, and is 42% white now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.