U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,108,904 times

Advertisements

For all the people attacking the OP, may I ask why you're doing so? Nobody would say anything if the OP said, "The Best Cities for African Americans" or "The Best Cities for Asian Americans". So why are you whining over the term "European Americans"? Look in a textbook. Do you ever see the term "European American"? NO. Do you ever hear the term? NO. Everyone else is an African American, an Asian American, a Native American, or a Hispanic/Latino American, while we're always mentioned as just "white people" as if we don't have a heritage at all. Of course, some people here will accuse me of being a "troll" and a "white supremacist" because they have no reading comprehension. If you're getting mad because of the term "European American", you need to chill out. Seriously.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am a minority and think this is a legitimate question as long as there are threads (and official articles) talking about the best places for blacks and Hispanics.
I'm sure that there are plenty of those.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
I think people are attacking the OP, because the country is based off of a European basis and it isn't tit for tat in terms of European Americans and individual "minority"(for lack of a better word)groups. Hence, the reason for such posted topics in terms of the latter groups.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think people are attacking the OP, because the country is based off of a European basis and it isn't tit for tat in terms of European Americans and individual "minority"(for lack of a better word)groups. Hence, the reason for such posted topics in terms of the latter groups.
Well, that's an asinine reason to attack the OP then. Just saying.

African, Asian, Native American, White. Looks pretty stupid.

African, Asian, Native American, European. Better.

Americans of European descent have heritage just like those of African, Asian, and Native American descent. That should be taken into account when race-related terminology comes into play.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,138,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
For all the people attacking the OP, may I ask why you're doing so? Nobody would say anything if the OP said, "The Best Cities for African Americans" or "The Best Cities for Asian Americans". So why are you whining over the term "European Americans"? Look in a textbook. Do you ever see the term "European American"? NO. Do you ever hear the term? NO. Everyone else is an African American, an Asian American, a Native American, or a Hispanic/Latino American, while we're always mentioned as just "white people" as if we don't have a heritage at all. Of course, some people here will accuse me of being a "troll" and a "white supremacist" because they have no reading comprehension. If you're getting mad because of the term "European American", you need to chill out. Seriously.
Actually, people whine about "black" threads all the time.

But I do agree that I don't see a problem with this thread.

And for the record, usually white people are just referred to as Americans.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Well, that's an asinine reason to attack the OP then. Just saying.

African, Asian, Native American, White. Looks pretty stupid.

African, Asian, Native American, European. Better.

Americans of European descent have heritage just like those of African, Asian, and Native American descent. That should be taken into account when race-related terminology comes into play.
No one is arguing about the wording, but the reasoning behind the question given the reality of demographics and residential patterns(in many cases).

Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Even in a majority Black city like Detroit, you've got some of the most affluent majority-White suburbs in the nation.
Yes, but most White Americans are not affluent and could not afford to live in a nice Detroit suburb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF, Manhattan, and Brooklyn are all under 50% white, and are losing white people (yes, losing them, despite the last decade's hipster/yuppie invasion in both cities). Speaking for SF, the city has been losing white residents constantly since the 1950s...it was 85% white in 1950, and is 42% white now.
Many if not most American cities are seeing a decrease in the percentage of White residents. There are few cities or regions that are increasing in White population as a percentage (that is, there are cities that are increasing in 'White' population, but they are usually increasing in non-White population even faster.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,451,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
Since a new year has just started this should be relatively easy to reflect upon.

Here is my pick (not in any order)

San Francisco
Minneapolis
Portland
Seattle
Denver
Boston
Austin

I chose these places because relatively low levels of crime tend to be on the higher list of priorities for white people, and the same is true for education, art, foodies, and possibly winter sports like skiing.

non whites care about those same things of course, and I did use the very broad term of 'art' - but in this context I mean cinema, art museums, and other venues you associate with 'the arts.'

However this list better suits liberal caucasian people. The list of best cities for conservative white people would look completely different. on average , conservatives don't prefer cities as much as liberals.

Preferred Urban Counties for Conservatives (Republicans are much whiter than democrats)

Orange County
Houston area
Tampa Bay
Atlanta region
possibly Ohio metros?
Phoenix area
You do realize that San Francisco is half Asian and heavily Chinese in many areas right?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,138,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
You do realize that San Francisco is half Asian and heavily Chinese in many areas right?
He said that SF was a great city for liberal whites. And liberal whites tend to get along very well with Asians.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yes, but most White Americans are not affluent and could not afford to live in a nice Detroit suburb.

Many if not most American cities are seeing a decrease in the percentage of White residents. There are few cities or regions that are increasing in White population as a percentage (that is, there are cities that are increasing in 'White' population, but they are usually increasing in non-White population even faster.
True, but the Detroit area still has plenty of middle class and even working class mostly White suburbs(i.e.-Downriver). Some still have a strong ethnic flavor to them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.