U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,560,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
In the sense that Rockland County is a cheaper alternative to nearby Westchester and Bergen Counties --- maybe. However, I still do not think Rockland is that cheap and it is not really that far to NYC, not to mention to other job markets in northern NJ and Westchester (White Plains). Plus there is even quick train service to NYC and Hudson County.

Some parts of Orange County might qualify. I saw one development, a area of very old cabins built going up the side of Schunnemunk Mountain (?) that I was not to impressed with. I am not sure if this was cheap exurban housing or just a old pre-war vacation area. However, I do know a good deal of Orange is still rural and they have an active farmland preservation and parks program.
Rockland used to qualify..... back in the '60's and '70's but those days are long over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
The closest on the East Coast may be parts of long island but becuse the way these places have developed there is not a place that screams as a similar area

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There's a pretty remarkable difference between semi-rural exurban and straight up cookie cutter sprawl. The whole state of Massachusetts has about 6 million people. SoCal has at least twice that many in the same amount of land area. There isn't anything that looks like the Inland Empire here, though there are many extended and long distance commuters living in non descript towns, yes its a bit rediculous. Fortunately my commute is 3/4 mile walk.
The funny thing is when we hear the word "sprawl", we tend to think California and do not give them credit for having a higher population density then we realize.

Anyway, just about every state that has cities has at least some sprawl and Massachusetts is no exception. If you look at a map that shows developed areas, a huge part of eastern Massachusetts is at least partially developed with fingers of development going into Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

I think this is because many Massachusetts towns try to keep that keep that classic "New England look", which results in big lots and strict zoning. Toss in lots of trees and some parts of the Boston suburbs look rural in areas. You can also find the same type of strict zoning in Connecticut and even parts of New York.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,997,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Sacramento is not the Bay Area's IE. Sac is it's own metro region with a central city, Sacramento, that has plenty of character. Not to mention that Sacramento has many surrounding cities which are wealthy with nice scenery, and Sacramento itself has a great arts and culinary scene.

Not to mention that Sactown is the CAPITOL of California.

Bay Area's Inland Empire would be places like the far East Bay, places like Fairfield, Vallejo, Vacaville, Pittsburgh, Antioch, etc.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,079,978 times
I guess in the DC area that would be Prince William county VA? Not a lot of job opportunities, very affordable housing (compared to places closer to DC), and home to some of the longest commutes in the country.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM

9,430 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The funny thing is when we hear the word "sprawl", we tend to think California and do not give them credit for having a higher population density then we realize.
Yes, but a lot of the density looks like this. This kind of density sucks, and its not cohesive. I would not be compeled to walk around a neighborhood like this. Where ya gonna go? The wide boulevard behind the walls of the subdivision with a 45 mph speed limit littered with strip malls? I don't see any neighborhood retail there, and nothing about it looks inviting, and its still car dependent. I understand the appeal of having a single family home and living in better school districts, but these homes have little to no yards and IMO defeats the purpose of living in the suburbs. A lot of the reasons why I think we are in this recession is we need to rethink the way we are devoloping our cities and metros. There are ways to strike a balance between suburban appeal and community cohesion. Developments like these are just hideous.

Suburban Sprawl, Vegas Style (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkay/3732615241/ - broken link) by Images by John 'K' (http://www.flickr.com/people/johnkay/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-04-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I don't think he meant that it physically resembles the Inland Empire. It is true that people live up there because it is cheaper then Westchester or other areas closer to NYC where they may not be able to afford a house. We don't generally have deserts anywhere in the east.
Exactly! It is the only area close to NYC that is relatively affordable and people still commute there for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or