U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM

33 posts, read 67,775 times

Advertisements

Tucson is too big and gets too hot. Will look into Ithaca more. Does anyone know anything about Las Vegas, NM? It has a smaller university than I'd like.. but other than that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,187,315 times
Yep for Bozeman MT and Moscow ID. People tend to choose Moscow over Pullman, WA, don't know why, but I have friends who teach in Pullman but live in Moscow.
No to Fayetteville, AR - nice town, but the ultra religious right faction is very tiresome there.
Try Silver City, NM. In fact, I should have recommended that to the woman looking for liberal, low cost places to live. Very fun town- hope she reads this!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
I have been to about every college town in the west at least once with the exception of a lot of California.

One problem with your requirements is the weather requirements. Almost every place in the west that is in the mountains is cold in winter with the exception of Tucson (which is at the base of three mountain ranges) but may be too large a city for you. Las Cruces (New Mexico State) fits your weather and size criteria however. UNM and UTEP would be too big.
Western New Mexico is in Silver City and THAT is really cool small town with just about the perfect climate.

The most perfect place for you is Cal Poly San Luis Obispo but it is expensive to live there. UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara are also great but hard to get into for non California residents.

Of the others you mentioned, Eugene and Corvallis are great and are very close to one another.

Southern Oregon University in Ashland is a smaller school in a small town but is also exactly what your looking for as well. Across the border is Humboldt State in Arcata, California.

In Washington, Central Washington in Ellensberg might be an option.

Pullman and Moscow are unique in that they are seven miles apart. They are basically the same town with two different state Universities. Of the two I like Moscow and the U of Idaho much better. Don't care for Pullman very much.

In Montana, Missoula and the UofM are incredible. I call it "Baby Boulder" in that it has the same vibe as Boulder without the fake hippie stuff.

Montana State and Bozeman is pretty nice as well but seems to lack the magic of Missoula to me. However, Bozeman has become a trendy town and the outdoor stuff is great.

Montana is REALLY Cold in the Winter.

Utah State in Logan isn't a bad little place. A lot like Bozeman with a better campus.

Utah and SLC would be too big.

Southern Utah State is really neat in Cedar City and Dixie College in St. George is a new 4 year school (that would be warm).

Uof Wyoming has a small but beautiful campus but the town is small and has a strange 1950s cowboyish feel to it. Also very cold at 7200 feet However it is only an hour from Ft. Collins.

Ft. Collins is a nice place with a cool downtown but the campus is not all that great at Colorado State. The University of Northern Colorado in Greeley is out in the plains a few miles but probably only twenty minutes or so further from the mountains than Ft. Collins.

As mentioned by others, Flagstaff and Boulder are really expensive although either one would be a great place to go to college. Also in Colorado are really cool small statecolleges in Alamosa and Durango. (Adams State and Ft Lewis State). Western Colorado in Gunnison is also pretty neat but very cold as it is at really high altitude.

If you don't mind winter almost all these places would be great but if you do mind it I would look hard at Las Cruces, the California and Oregon schools.
Western New Mexio and Southern Oregon would be choices if you don't mind a smaller town and if they have your program.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,067,616 times
Boise, ID

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM

half dozen-can you elaborate a little more on silver city? what are the outdoor options?? is there water for kayaking somewhere close? hiking? how are they on the environment/local food?? i believe i visited there but not for long enough to leave with a true idea of what the city is like....

staubin-i have a cousin in boise and she loves it... still think it's a little big for me. and i kind of hate football (which i'm sure i'll have to deal with in any college town.. i just noticed it a lot in boise)

eddie-
i'd say the climate part is the most flexible of my requirements... if i can find a unique college town with things like progressive education, a love for sustainable living and supporting local things... with lots of outdoor activities (hopefully mountains and some sort of navigable water).. low crime.. and affordable.. i can live with too much cold or whatever.

i agree about slo.. i liked it but am not even looking at it because of the money thing.

eugene, corvallis, and ashland look pretty good except they seem a little too expensive.. and they don't have my program.. but i'll definitely keep them in the running.

i had never heard of ellensberg until yesterday... so i know nothing about it... can you tell me what you know?

i've never been to moscow/pullman area so i definitely want to check it out. do you know if there's a lot to do outdoors near there??? why don't you care for pullman?

didn't get to stop in missoula but that's pretty much what i've heard so it's definitely under consideration. it sucks how cold montana is in the winter... but at least if i'm going to suffer through the cold, i want to be able to SNOWBOARD (that's where ohio is quite lacking).

can you tell me a bit more about logan? i drove through it and thought it was gorgeous.. and utah outdoors has a LOT to offer... but i was told that anything outside of slc is going to be too conservative/religious for me. do you have a different opinion? also heard good things about cedar city.. i'm pretty sure they don't have a program for me but i'll keep it in mind.

from the way it sounds, wyoming would be great if i just wanted to outdoors.. but i also want a great little progressive community.. am i wrong in thinking that i won't find that there?

never been to CSU campus but i did like fort collins so i'll probably keep it in the running. greeley... when i looked it up they mentioned having like 40 gang members there and that scared me a lot... i mean, i'm from a place where i walked home alone at 2am.. and home was 4.5 miles away.. and i was fine (not smart, but fine).. so things like gangs just scare me. i might look into alamosa and durango if i decide that a large university isn't necessary. i lived in crested butte for a bit and i think gunnison is great.. just too small with a too small university for me to actually settle down there.

tell me more about las cruces.. i've been there and i didn't see a whole lot in terms of outdoor recreation in the area.. but i could be completely wrong...? silver city...same questions i asked halfdozen.. can you elaborate on why it's such a great choice for me?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
This is fun. Thanks for the questions.

Sounds as if you have been around the west as well.

I'll start with Silver City. Fits your criteria really well but it is small. Very progressive. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Water sports may require a day drive but the mountains are right on top of you. Perfect climate. Western New Mexico is the school.

Las Cruces is pretty barren but the same mountains you can access from Silver City are maybe 45 minutes to an hour west of there. Elephant Butte lake is large and is just up the interstate an hour or two. You could kayak in the Rio Grande. Great winter weather. Hot in the summer. Hiiking is availabe in the Organ mountains just east of town.

If you don't mind the cold Winters Missoula and Bozeman would be perfect. Missoula has a much better vibe for what you are looking for than Bozeman but Bozeman isn't bad. I like the UM much better than MSU as far as tending toward progressive. Missoula has mountains all around it. Two rivers that run through town and Flathead lake about an hour to an hour and a half away. Montana snow bowl is 30 minutes out of town for skiing.

Bozeman has the Gallitan river right outside of town for your water sports and Big Sky ski resort about 30-40 minutes south. Yellowstone is about an hour and a half southeast. Gallitan is as good as gets for water sports. Yellowstone has two large glacial lakes in it and Teton park has one as well (about 45 more minutes south of yellowstone)

The Utah places might be too conservative and LDS oriented.

Pullman/Moscow don't have much around them. Moscow has a few small mountains with trails on them. Moscow has a bit of charm to it. It's probably 60-90 minutes to the mountains or Lake Cour de Lane. The snake river is about 30 miles south.

As I said earlier, Pullman and Moscow are basically the same town (8 miles between them). It's just that Pullman doesn't have any charm to it in my opinion. I much prefer the Idaho campus over WSU.

Ellensberg is Central Washington U. It is basically on the edge of the dry side of Washington. In essence you drive west 30 minutes and you are in the Cascades with spectacular Snowqualmie pass. East you are in the sunny desert: with a bunch of ski resorts within close proximity on the rainy and dry sides. The Columbia and snake rivers are close and Moses like are also close. The cascades are full of rivers and all the stuff around the Puget Sound.

And I forgot about Bellingham Washington. I've never been but Western Washington University is there and everybody I've ever known that lived or went to school absolutely LOVED it there. Puget sound, mountains, betwen Vancouver, BC and Seattle. Very rainy and might be expensive any more.

I thinik you have a great idea and a whole bunch of neat options. Since you went to OU, you kind of know the vibe you want. My cousin teaches at OU and loves it there. He taught at Montana State before that and thought it was too cold.

If I were to say what is most like Athens/Ohio U I would say Missoula/UM and Eugene/UO followed by Southern Oregon/Ashland and then Western Washington.

I'd look hard at Ellensberg though because it is not as expensive as the others. (if they have your program)

Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanks so much for the responses!!! I've been comparing salaries for educational counselors (which I might not even become anyway) with cost of living.... it helps to know as much as possible but it also sucks because I have to be realistic. I find it crazy that in the western states with a higher cost of living, at least in that occupation, wages aren't necessarily higher (I just assumed that wages would increase with cost of living.. guess I was wrong). Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,862,671 times
Morgantown, WV

population: city-30k area 100k

West Virginia University-30k students

Recreation: Coopers Rock State Park, Cheat Lake, Mon River Trail, all are close by. Skiing, hiking, biking, trails, camping, fishing, RVing, ATVing, Horseback riding, rock climbing, boating, white water rafting, bungie jumping, zip lining, golfing, ect.......... LOL are all very close and make up the majority of our great and beautiful state.

Local schools are excelent, the healthcare is second to none, and the city is filled with art galleries, locally owned bistros and restaurants and shops. Morgantown is one of the best places to get a job in the US. Lots to see, the PRT is cool, and you are only 70 miles from Pittsburgh.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,600,464 times
You could also throw Olympia, WA into the mix!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM

56,644 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Here's another community that may work: Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York

Welcome to OneontaNY.COM | Oneonta, NY 13820

SUNY Oneonta | Home

Welcome to Sweet Home Oneonta - Visit Oneonta NY

Hartwick-Home

Foothills Performing Arts Center | Oneonta NY

Oneonta City School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or