U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 AM

5,713 posts, read 8,783,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm really hoping for mountains/trees/water plus a university and cool downtown with at the very least a good coffee shop and good farmer's market
This describes Knoxville to a T. Is it too big for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM

56,772 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Here are some Platssburgh videos, by the way:
Life's Pleasure...A Beautiful SunsetSky over Plattsburgh, NY - YouTube

SUNY Plattsburgh - Aerial Views Lake Champlain Valley Region - YouTube

Plattsburgh NY to Grand Isle VT ferry - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM

6,894 posts, read 6,217,162 times
With your new areas I'll chime in again.

Everybody I ever knew that went to Oneonta loved it there. Well, both of them.

UNC Ashville is worth a look and another really cool place in North Carolina is Boone with Appalachian State. Probably a smaller version of Athens, Oh but right in the mountains.

East Tennessee State is small but might be an option in Johnson City Tennessee but is probably conservative in nature.

Chapel Hill is great but VERY expensive and is part of a larger urban area.

Athens, GA is pretty cool as well and might work.

Heck Penn State is pretty neat despite all the bad pub it's been getting.

Have heard nothing but great things about Burlington and U Vermont as well.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,582,579 times
Knoxville is very, very conservative. The buckle of the Bible Belt.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Northstar - when were you an expert on Knoxville? By that I mean what year, decade? Did you live in the city or out in the county?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

2,537 posts, read 8,132,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmochilera View Post
durham looks big, chapel hill might work. about charlottesville... i have a friend going to grad school there (undergrad Ohio U) and she's not too impressed. says there aren't any good coffee shops (might seem pathetic, but that's a biggie for me!!!).. is she missing some cool stuff?
Durham has about 250k people, but it lives more like a big town than a small city...very solid foodie scene, educated populace, lots of grassroots involvement, nice state park, etc... DM me if you want more info.

Asheville is another good recommendation in NC, as well as Boone.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM

I looked back at the original post and see the OP isn't religious .... but I don't note the intolerance to religious people that pops up sometimes on this board. Projecting perhaps, Northstar?

Yes we tend to be religious but very, very, conservative???? Hah! I'll bet our new mayor could win the Crunchy Mayor smackdown with one hand tied behind her back. Yes there are very conservative people in Knoxville along with the whole political spectrum. We have diversity here, real diversity not "I want to be surrounded by people who are weird just like me" diversity. That includes Asians and Hispanics as well as dozens of other nationalities/ethnicities.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM

3,333 posts, read 8,793,612 times
Burlington and Vermont in general is very big on the local foods movement and buying in locally owned stores vs. chains. You described Burlington pretty much to a "T" except for weather (long cold winters) and cost of living - its high.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM

33 posts, read 67,815 times
Thanks a lot for all the new ideas guys! I heard some new ones that I hadn't considered before at all (Knoxville and Johnston City).

CHK, Ya I'd been looking more into Plattsburgh lately.. seems like a good choice.. and the videos are great thanks. I'll definitely check it out when I visit all the other places that look cool in the northeast.

About Knoxville... I have a friend (from Athens) that lives there and she's not impressed.. but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consider it. Looking at wikipedia, it looks like a decent place.. probably would like to visit there.. just a little too big for me. And wikipedia doesn't mention it but I'd heard that it's not that safe... maybe that's just because it's big(ger) than what I'm used to? I like the idea of having real diversity.. that's cool.. especially if they can all coexist peacefully.. although since I am more progressive and I'm not religious I can see why some of you have pointed out that it may be religious/conservative for me (which could very well be true?).

Any towns in New Hampshire or Maine?? Haven't heard anything about them...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM

I think if you like or don't mind cold weather there will be a lot more options. I don't feel unsafe in Knoxville but then I'm not walking around late at night in the old city. I'm not trying to push it on you, just reacting to the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or